How similar is this game to Dishonored?

Jake-TheGreat97

A lot of the UI elements and movement animations/mechanics seem to be pulled directly from Dishonored. Combat also looks like it revolves around similar mechanics, but probably has its own flavor.

• Like 1

Hey, I didn’t like dishonoured at all basically but after playing this I’m gonna give dishonoured another go. It’s a blend of dishonoured, bioshock and wolfenstein IMO. If you’re really that on the fence wait. I took the plunge tho and to me it was 100% worth it. 

3 hours ago, Helyx said:

A lot of the UI elements and movement animations/mechanics seem to be pulled directly from Dishonored. Combat also looks like it revolves around similar mechanics, but probably has its own flavor.

Alot of this.

However there are some decent guns to use and upgrade, so you can play this John Rambo style and ignore stealth completely, just be prepared for a bit of a battle, especially when reinforcements are called in.

The games concept and premise though is very different to Dishonored, so dont be put off too much.

Imo this is my GOTY contender its that good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashbo said:

However there are some decent guns to use and upgrade, so you can play this John Rambo style and ignore stealth completely, just be prepared for a bit of a battle, especially when reinforcements are called in.

I've been running and gunning for the entirety of my 8 hours playing. It's doable, but the game definitely encourages stealth. I'd be a lot further along if I played a slower, more premeditated style.

I wouldn't say you shouldn't play this if you didn't like Dishonoured. The concept is very different and unlike Dishonoured you are encouraged to go loud at certain points. It's all about choosing the best way to approach situations so it's not a "stealth game". The whole tone and vibe is different. 

11 hours ago, SzzPS said:

Hey, I didn’t like dishonoured at all basically but after playing this I’m gonna give dishonoured another go. It’s a blend of dishonoured, bioshock and wolfenstein IMO. If you’re really that on the fence wait. I took the plunge tho and to me it was 100% worth it. 

You should play Dishonoured 2 instead. It's way better.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

I wouldn't say you shouldn't play this if you didn't like Dishonoured. The concept is very different and unlike Dishonoured you are encouraged to go loud at certain points. It's all about choosing the best way to approach situations so it's not a "stealth game". The whole tone and vibe is different. 

You should play Dishonoured 2 instead. It's way better.

I disagree. Dishonored 1 with its DLCs is better than Dishonored 2. 

Dishonored 2 Story was basically a remake of the Dishonored 1 DLCs. Very lazy. 

My ranking would be:

Dishonored DLCs 

Dishonored 

Death of the Outsider 

Dishonored 2

• Like 1

Im an enormous fan of all 3 Dishonoured games - and even more so of Prey, and am enjoying Deathloop so far.

Personally, I think there is certainly an aesthetic and stylistic similiarity to Dishonoured, and an extremely Arkane-specific feel to the movement and the powers / gun play, however, the actual beat-by-beat gameplay is quite different. There is a speed and a punchiness to the combat that is far closer to something like the Machine Games Wolfenstein games than to even Prey (probably the closest Arkane relative of Deathloop's)

There is a focus on initial stealth, but immediate and quick escalation of snappy combat, and a staccato pacing to the game that is quite similar to Wolfenstein - or even something like Deus Ex.

By combining Dishonoured-style powers with that, it makes for very interesting and variable gameplay - the levels are very intricate, and allow a vast array of potential play styles, but unlike Dishonoured, the play style is not always a choice entierly in the player's hands - it is situational, and the player has to adapt to the particular situation they find themselves in, and make quick decisions on the fly, rather than choosing a play style at the outset.

• Like 3

Pretty similar in my opinion. I've seen people compare this to Prey, but in my opinion this is much closer to Dishonored. If it does take influence from Prey, it would be more the Mooncrash DLC (this does a MUCH better job of that idea, though, I didn't enjoy Mooncrash).

The main difference is that the game is designed around a looping mechanic which alters how you play it (i.e. no saving, more investigation, tactic use of resources for abilities/weapons you want to keep) but the contained-but-deep level design, to the slabs/movement, and the AI mechanics/target movement, its very much a new take on Dishonored.  The Julianna hunts feel quite Prey-esque, but otherwise, strong Dishonored vibes.

The mini-review no-one asked for - it isn't as good as Dishonored, but I like Deathloop a lot (8/10) and is my 3rd favourite game of 2021. I haven't platinumed the game, but I'm close to the 'Ending it' quest (to end the game) and I would be surprised if the game offered me anything else to greatly change my mind in my mop-up.

My first response was mixed; I don't think it does a great job introducing you to leads and mechanics, and it was frustrating early, but once you get into the swing of it the game gives you the tools to play and investigate how you want, in whatever order you want, and this nails that. I love detective style games, and this is a core element to Deathloop. It's guided, but you still feel like you're genuinely learning about the world and targets, which is one thing I think Deathloop does better than Dishonored. The level design is also among the best of any Arkane game, in my opinion, and the loops feel different to other games with a cyclical mechanic because each map has 4 variants, and its more to do with 'time of day for clues/targets' than die and try again (despite what Deathloop's slogan says). Arkane nail level design, even in Prey, which I didn't love compared to Dishonored and this. Quality > Quantity, every time. Finally, death is a very low risk and very low penalty in this game, and the information you keep is permanent, so the cycle doesn't feel like an obstacle, but rather the means to progress, which is very clever. It's the reason I don't like Rogue-likes, I feel like I'm working against the mechanic rather than utilising it. 

My main criticism is that I much prefer the flexibility of Dishonored and it's non-lethal runs. Deathloop is more about 'getting it right' once you know everything about all 8 visionaries - with some flexibility. I like this, but I did like the power to either be a murdering machine or to be non-lethal/unseen, and this doesn't give you that option (outside of I guess 1 trophy). I also feel like Deathloop is a bit more of a frustrating trial and error experience; Fia's Fortress was rage inducing, even though I knew what to do. I found some AI placement purposely obtuse in Deathloop which I don't like. Finally, I think the visionary eliminations are much less creative and satisfying than Dishonored. Some of Dishonored 1/2's targets were extremely memorable; Deathloop, less so. This was a shame. 

On 17/09/2021 at 10:21 AM, Titanomachy_75 said:

Could be wrong but watching some videos it looks and plays just like dishonored ... Saying that its not a bad thing just they should have called it DH 3 to be honest they just slapped a new IP and said its new lol But its ok still cool game ;)

It's definitely not Dishonored 3. It's an entirely new story, it's mechanically different and stylistically completely new. There are many aforementioned similarities regarding gameplay, but that's the case for studios have a signature style they incorporate into different IP's. Deathloop definitely does a lot of things differently. Just off the top of my head, FromSoftware is another perfect example (Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro). They all have similar styles but Arkane utilise them quite differently with completely different stories. 

Edited by PhantomFear94