Worth playing?

PS4 performance can really vary wildly between updates. The Resident Evil update several months ago brought a ton of issues to the base PS4/Xbone versions, mostly frame drops and lag and crashing, which you definitely don't want in a PvP game. Those have since been ironed out but it's a coin flip for each update if it will cause more stability issues than it fixes. The most recent chapter, Hellraiser, seems to have the game be in a pretty good place. Game does get laggy if you're playing it for hours on end, mostly in the menus though.

The game is pretty fun, and there's lots to do and learn, and the massive roster of killers means you'll have lots of variety. You can earn in-game currency to purchase characters with (non-licensed ones only), and DLC goes on sale semi-frequently. If you're only playing it for the trophies, it will feel like a huge grind, but most of the trophies will come naturally through many hours of gameplay. The game is also the most popular it has ever been, so there's no shortage of players or risk of servers being shut down. Since the game is cross-play with other consoles and PC, you can play with friends who own it on another platform. 

Toxicity... not more than any other standard multiplayer title tbh. Killers can camp and survivors can teabag but you just have to move on and go next game. And since cross-play came out, I think barely any people reach out to send toxic messages over PlayStation anymore.

TLDR: Fun game, sometimes has performance issues, can put 100s of hours into it, no risk of it dying soon, and standard video game levels of toxicity.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PsychoticLight said:

PS4 performance can really vary wildly between updates. The Resident Evil update several months ago brought a ton of issues to the base PS4/Xbone versions, mostly frame drops and lag and crashing, which you definitely don't want in a PvP game. Those have since been ironed out but it's a coin flip for each update if it will cause more stability issues than it fixes. The most recent chapter, Hellraiser, seems to have the game be in a pretty good place. Game does get laggy if you're playing it for hours on end, mostly in the menus though.

The game is pretty fun, and there's lots to do and learn, and the massive roster of killers means you'll have lots of variety. You can earn in-game currency to purchase characters with (non-licensed ones only), and DLC goes on sale semi-frequently. If you're only playing it for the trophies, it will feel like a huge grind, but most of the trophies will come naturally through many hours of gameplay. The game is also the most popular it has ever been, so there's no shortage of players or risk of servers being shut down. Since the game is cross-play with other consoles and PC, you can play with friends who own it on another platform. 

Toxicity... not more than any other standard multiplayer title tbh. Killers can camp and survivors can teabag but you just have to move on and go next game. And since cross-play came out, I think barely any people reach out to send toxic messages over PlayStation anymore.

TLDR: Fun game, sometimes has performance issues, can put 100s of hours into it, no risk of it dying soon, and standard video game levels of toxicity.

Thanks for this...well described!

I did hear about the "killers" camping and such, but like you said...adding the human elements comes with own pros and cons. :) Might pick this up if it goes on sale. 

I’ll break it down a little:

=Matchmaking=
I’d say the matchmaking has improved some. Doesn’t take me 25 minutes as a killer to find a match really anymore unless you try at really odd times. 

=Performance=
Performance is hit and miss. Have to sort of expect it for a ps4 pc port (as most of the ports from PC on PS4 are pretty poor lol.) But the PS4 version does run rather smooth on ps5 I will say. (I refuse to start the ps5 version until I get what I can on PS4 lol)

=Gameplay/Balancing issues=
The game itself isn’t bad per say. I’ve put close to 200 hours into it. At times I question some of the perks balancing between killer/survivor, but it’s probably just me thinking too hard about it. 

=Toxicity of Community=
Ran into a lot of this on pc. Thankfully the console version doesn’t have the chat at the end of the game. But it’s pretty awful. A lot of “wow killer I’ll rape your (insert family member)”and such is what I’ve seen. Don’t think the devs do much as I have reported such abusers.

Like I said, thankfully on consoles we can set our messages to private and not have to deal with assholes. Lol

Some people also play pretty toxic. But you’ll get that every multiplayer game. Lol.

verdict: I’d say try the game and see if it’s for you. I’ll say the constant updates help keep it interesting because gameplay wise it’s basically the same thing. Especially with lack of updates. And it does tire you out in the formula. I usually take several month breaks from it.

Edited by Dangisuckatgamin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, XpanderFX said:

playing for more than 25 hours in a pvp game sounds like a torture for me. Wondering how many hours would take to 100% this game. Seems only 0,22% of people here made it. And assuming all trophies are obtainable, from what ive read some dlc's was delisted.

100% of this trophy list alone will take hundreds of hours. And this is just the 1st list on PS4 version, since there is a 2nd one for the rest of the DLC.

All trophies are currently obtainable. Stranger Things DLC will be delisted this November, but the trophies linked to Stranger Things characters will be changed to become generic ones that everyone can get regardless of the characters they play.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 1

I personally love this game and I had an amazing time playing the game and the trophies just came from playing it. Some trophies will require you to grind and go out of your way to obtain but personally I think its worth it. If you aren't a fan of competitive games you might not like playing this one because it can get really sweaty as you climb the ranks but overall I think it's a good idea to start 

Just for the trophies? Sure.

As a new MP game? Hell no, especially if you're on PS4. I've been playing since 2017 and this game will get incredibly frustrating if you try to make it your main MP game. I went from only playing this game to only playing it periodically. The developers got extremely lucky and found a playerbase that is ridiculously loyal and secured high profile horror licenses. A game like this would normally be dead in less than a year. I could go into a long post about this but I'll try to give you the short version:

• Last gen console performance has been terrible for years and devs seemingly don't care enough to actually fix it. Killer designs have actually been held back because of this. I am convinced that the only reason the game runs so well on PS5 is because of how much stronger the console is, not because the devs suddenly got competent.
  • The devs sometimes won't take consoles into mind when creating new Killers (Nurse and Trickster are examples).
  • For some reason, the playerbase can be extremely toxic, more so than other games.
  • The grind for a new player is insane. You have about 50 characters, 150+ perks, and hundreds of add-ons to get, and that's if you don't want to get everyone to prestige 3.
  • The balance is not very good. The developers are prone to caving under pressure when it comes to balance decisions and also focus their balancing decisions on low levels of play, often ignoring the higher ones. This leads to the game becoming incredibly Survivor favored as you reach the higher levels of play. Only 2, maybe 3 Killers can actually compete at this level.
  • These devs do not care about accessibility at all. It took years of requests and a dev snapping on stream for colorblind options to be announced. Some Survivors will rapidly click their flashlight to taunt you, which can be harmful to people sensitive to flashing lights. I'm 99% sure there is no warning about this either when you start up the game.
  • The matchmaking system does not take into account people who take breaks, so you can come back and the game still thinks you're good as you were three months ago.
  • The game breaks very often and each patch brings in several bugs. Some of the bugs present in the game haven't been fixed since its launch in 2016.

Sure this game can be a blast when everything's working properly (that's why I still play it sometimes), but so many pieces have to fall in place for that to happen. If you're going to play this on and off, then I'd recommend it. But you want to make this your main game that you're going to be playing for hours and hours each day, then stay far away from this game, especially if you have limited time to play each day.

Edited by SnakeSound222
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SnakeSound222 said:

Sure this game can be a blast when everything's working properly (that's why I still play it sometimes), but so many pieces have to fall in place for that to happen. If you're going to play this on and off, then I'd recommend it. But you want to make this your main game that you're going to be playing for hours and hours each day, then stay far away from this game, especially if you have limited time to play each day.

Yikes! Many MP games fall into this paradigm where the potential for fun is there making it intriguing to play, but there's some many issues that prevent to include a toxic community. After all the heat that BFV and SWBF2 got, at least there's never any issues with jumping on having a good time.

I think I will pass on this one, thanks everyone for the feedback! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The game is really good and fun, especially with friends! To me it's one of those horror games where I don't get scared from jumpscares as in games like Outlast or Resident Evil but there's alwaya that tension in matches that keeps you on the tip of you chair.

Trophy wise the game is not that great. And with that I don't mean the trophies are dumb or anything because they're quite good although grindy. I mean that there's SO much paid DLC trophies that it's not fun to 100% this game unless you're going to be buying every DLC separately in sale. I kinda stopped playing because of all the 'pay to play' DLC's since the movie characters (such as Ghostface, SAW and Halloween for example) can't be bought with in-game credits which is not okay imo. I get that they have to make money off of something but the fact you're not even able to buy them with in-game currency pisses me off.

And they're always adding new DLC so be prepared to keep this game in your PS4 and grind through the new trophies again or spend another 6 bucks for 2 characters again.

Summarized: Good game, good trophies, horrible DLC additions

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 5:06 PM, XpanderFX said:

playing for more than 25 hours in a pvp game sounds like a torture for me. Wondering how many hours would take to 100% this game. Seems only 0,22% of people here made it. And assuming all trophies are obtainable, from what ive read some dlc's was delisted.

I don't like mp games and love this game. Probably one of my favorite ps4 games. I am currently at 100% and easily spent over a 1000 hrs on this game. There used to be a lot more toxicity after matches but most of it was when i didn't know how to really play the game. I have had better interactions with other players on this game than rocket league or some others. Once you "get good" most people are really nice. Never had friends to play with but would be a lot of fun to do so. Some trophies are really grindy and some better to boost but very doable. Great game i recommend to everyone that plays games.

Edited by golfstar59
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Sydoki said:

Can someone please help me to understand what's the best way to get all the content for this game? Is it better to get all DLCs separately? Or an Ultimate Edition + remaining DLCs?

As it is now there is a flash sale, 60% off on the base game and 50% off on DLC prior to Sadako Rising, so get the game then go after the DLC.

Without the sale, very recommended to get the Ultimate edition + remaining DLC, you’ll save up some money.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Sydoki said:

Can someone please help me to understand what's the best way to get all the content for this game? Is it better to get all DLCs separately? Or an Ultimate Edition + remaining DLCs?

Yeah don't buy Survivors and Killers with auric cells (ingame currency) buy bundles instead, they are located in the PS store and not the in game store. The in game store can take you to the PS store, just press :square: when a killer/survivor i selected. If you buy all characters with Auric cells you'll pay like 20% more than when you buy the DLC bundles.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

As it is now there is a flash sale, 60% off on the base game and 50% off on DLC prior to Sadako Rising, so get the game then go after the DLC.

7 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Yeah don't buy Survivors and Killers with auric cells (ingame currency) buy bundles instead, they are located in the PS store and not the in game store. The in game store can take you to the PS store, just press :square: when a killer/survivor i selected. If you buy all characters with Auric cells you'll pay like 20% more than when you buy the DLC bundles.

Thank you for the info. I'm definitely gonna pick it up on sale, through PSN store. The last time I looked into this game was last year, and I said to myself "I'm not dealing with this DLC nightmare" and wanted to wait for an ultimate edition...

Well, it doesn't help that even with the ultimate edition it's still a nightmare to figure out what's included and what's not ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sydoki said:

Well, it doesn't help that even with the ultimate edition it's still a nightmare to figure out what's included and what's not 1f605.png

Yeah unfortunately I don’t think we’ll ever get an edition with ALL the content. But the reason for that is that we get new DLC 4 times a year. Usually 1 killer and 1 survivor per DLC with 6 new trophies. On occasion we only get either  one killer or survivor instead of one of each.

But start off with one of the bundles that contains the main game and a bunch of other DLC and after that buy bundles of killers/survivors you’ll think you will enjoy playing. This game will probably be around for at least another 4-5 years. 

Hope you enjoy the game. Best tip I can give to a beginner is to don’t play this game

like a stealth game hiding all the time. Instead focus on improving on getting chased. If you become a decent runner early on you’ll have a better time and escape more as survivor. Most new people just hide in the corners of the map not doing anything to help their teammates escape.

There are also tons of really good guides for both killer and survivor on YouTube. It might all be information overload when you first begins playing the game, but it won’t take that long to learn all perks and all killer powers. 

On 3/12/2022 at 9:35 AM, Quink666 said:

Hope you enjoy the game. Best tip I can give to a beginner is to don’t play this game

like a stealth game hiding all the time. Instead focus on improving on getting chased. If you become a decent runner early on you’ll have a better time and escape more as survivor. Most new people just hide in the corners of the map not doing anything to help their teammates escape.

There are also tons of really good guides for both killer and survivor on YouTube. It might all be information overload when you first begins playing the game, but it won’t take that long to learn all perks and all killer powers. 

Appreciate the tips! And you are right, I suppose I don't need to own everything in order to start playing. I suppose I wanted to have access to all DLC trophies right away since some of them are more "global" and can be done with anyone.

But given the longevity of this game, it might not be something worth worrying about. Thanks once again! :)