Is this game unplayable without an original PS3 controller?

Varhur

As I've read some of the guides, it turns out that this game uses a lot, and I mean a lot of use of something called pressure sensitivity, which means that Snake does different actions depending on how you hold the button. Thing is, I don't have an original controller. This started to be extremely noticeable during the first enemy encounter - whenever I grab the enemy, I can only kill them by slicing their throat. I tried holding both EZ Gun and unarmed as a weapon choice, enemy died from my knife in both cases. I managed to get an interrogation trophy somehow, but still, Snake killed enemy before he could speak anything.

Does this essentially means that without original DualShock, I can forget about playing this?

32 minutes ago, Varhur said:

As I've read some of the guides, it turns out that this game uses a lot, and I mean a lot of use of something called pressure sensitivity, which means that Snake does different actions depending on how you hold the button. Thing is, I don't have an original controller. This started to be extremely noticeable during the first enemy encounter - whenever I grab the enemy, I can only kill them by slicing their throat. I tried holding both EZ Gun and unarmed as a weapon choice, enemy died from my knife in both cases. I managed to get an interrogation trophy somehow, but still, Snake killed enemy before he could speak anything.

Does this essentially means that without original DualShock, I can forget about playing this?

There are few games you can't play on a controller ps4. Just only ps3 controller or you must have cronus pro plus to play ps4 same like controller ps3 by adapter. 

Edited by Tiricy

10 minutes ago, Tiricy said:

There are few games you can't play on a controller ps4. Just only ps3 controller or you must have cronus pro plus to play ps4 same like controller ps3 by adapter. 

This doesn't really answer the OP's question -- as even if you use an adapter, the face buttons must still be analogue. Even if you use a converter to use a DS4 on a PS3, the DS4 has digital face buttons; so he will still run into the exact same problem. 

41 minutes ago, Varhur said:

Depending on what the actions are and if they are needed for specific trophies/or natural progression, then yes, you would need an original DualShock 3 or a pad that has analogue face buttons. 

Is your controller fake or does it have analogue face buttons? You never told us what controller you are using, so currently, we can't help all that much. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/23/2021 at 6:17 PM, BenHarveyMusic said:

Hey! I recently platted this game using the dualsense on PlayStation 5. If you’re going for the platinum, you should be able to do this fine on any controller :) 

Whoa, so playing with the DualSense controller on PS Now allowed you to mimic the DualShock 3 controller? How? Currently I only see MGS4: Guns of the Patriots and MGS: Revengeance being offered on PS Now (NA).

Edited by poetic_justice_
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, poetic_justice_ said:

Whoa, so playing with the DualSense controller on PS Now allowed you to mimic the DualShock 3 controller? How? Currently I only see MGS4: Guns of the Patriots and MGS: Revengeance being offered on PS Now (NA).

Hey! This was a while ago so I’m sorry if I don’t have all the details anymore. 

All I remember is I played this game via PS Now back last year sometime on my PS5. I used the dualsense for the whole game which worked perfectly fine. Im guessing a PS4 controller will be fine to use as well. 

Not every ps3 games support ps4 controller if you have any games that required ps3 controller just buy turbo controller if you can't find any ps3 controller (most of the online marketplace have plenty fake ps3 controllers)

On 9/1/2022 at 6:00 AM, BenHarveyMusic said:

Hey! This was a while ago so I’m sorry if I don’t have all the details anymore. 

All I remember is I played this game via PS Now back last year sometime on my PS5. I used the dualsense for the whole game which worked perfectly fine. Im guessing a PS4 controller will be fine to use as well. 

He talking about playing mgs3 in ps3 with ps4 controller that doesn't support

Edited by flipskullhead

On 8.01.2022 at 6:14 PM, zizimonster said:

You've managed to plat the game. Did you finally use an original DS3? :hmm:

@Varhur

No, but I was completely locked out with using CQC. Only managed to get lucky with stuff like interrogation by pressing right button for a frame or two, right before Snake slit enemy throat. At least there's EZ Gun...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There are a LOT of fake PS3 controllers that at first glance, look like the real thing. I have a fake PS3 controller that I use occasionally, but it doesn't have quite the capabilities that the real PS3 controller has.

Found this great article on Imgur a few years back that explains in detail the differences between the real and fake PS3 controllers. If you guys are planning to play Metal Gear Solid 2 or Metal Gear Solid 3 in the future on your PS3 console, you may want to actually look for a real PS3 controller.

https://imgur.com/a/kIRJQTt#:~:text=The real controller should show as "PLAYSTATION (R),as expected. Sign in to leave a comment

• Like 3

On 1/10/2022 at 0:14 PM, flipskullhead said:

He talking about playing mgs3 in ps3 with ps4 controller that doesn't support

BenHarveyMusic was talking about using the PS5 DualSense controller. He was streaming a Metal Gear Solid 3, a PS3 game, through Playstation Now with his PS5. He never used a Playstation 4, so his speculation about a DualShock 4 controller working was an untested theory.

Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to stream MGS3 on Playstation Now anymore, as Playstation Now dropped the title. PS Now (NA) currently has four MGS titles: MGS4: Guns of the Patriots, MG Rising: Revengeance, MGSV: Ground Zeroes, and MGSV: The Phantom Pain. PS Now occasionally eliminates titles from their service without announcement. They pulled Farming Simulator 2017 in the same way. One month it was there, the next it was gone.

Edited by poetic_justice_