Games and Completion Percentage

PalaceOfLove706

Having hunted many trophies, both exceptionally rare and exceptionally common, I’ve come to learn that some games nowadays that have high completion rates are misleading. If only the top trophy hunters in the world play them, then maybe 82% is actually really hard. I think this is the case, maybe half of the time, now, in this current era and market.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I’ve come to learn that some games nowadays that have high completion rates are misleading.

I don’t believe completion rates are misleading. They’re the percentage of people who have the game and completed said trophy. 

The closest they come to misleading is assuming a completion rate is a direct correlation to how difficult said trophies are. 

• Like 1

Using rarity to determine difficulty doesn’t work.

When the percentages are based only on people who attempt a game, that is a great way  to determine rarity…

…and a lousy way to determine difficulty.

By that method, climbing Mount Everest would be a 65% - as around 65% of people who attempt the climb, see the summit and live.

If we try to determine difficulty by that metric, that would mean climbing Mt. Everest is about as difficult as getting the platinum in Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

… but I’m pretty sure that similarity has more to do with people knowing their own limits, and choosing what challenges to subject themselves to, than it does with them being similarly difficult endeavours ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

If we're talking about rarity on PSNP, I think it's a poor judge of anything besides the percentage of players who got the trophy.  Only time I feel it's really misleading on here is with stuff like Asian stacks where most of the owners of the game are going to be more devoted trophy hunters and fans of the game.  So I find those tend to have much higher rarity compared to the same game in NA or EU regions that have a more diverse group of players who play them, and with EZPZ games some of those even have 100% plat rarity when their NA and EU stacks have something lower.

• Like 1

It's based on number of players, so for games that come on PS Plus free, you will notice that the completion % drastically drops even for super easy games as there are tons of people who might start the game, earn a trophy or two and then never touch it again. That's what happened my Beyond Two souls, a piss easy platinum but because it went on plus, the plat rarity is 7.06% which is lower than harder games like FF12 TZA (11% and takes like 90+ hours) and games like Tales of Vesperia and berseria which take over 100 hours. 

Trophy rarity isn't always accurate, although it can be useful for certain games that have a diverse range of players and also have not ever been on PS Plus as that screws up the percentage to really low even if the trophies are easy. 

• Like 1