PS4 or PS5 controller preference and why (Excluding Haptic feedback)

amurnin100

3 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

I prefer the Dualshock 3, its 30 hours battery life or so is what I value the most on a controller. (at least 20 hours is guaranteed as I remember platting AC2 on my brand new ps3 controller without charging at all).

Just wanted a 20 hour battery life controller with a headphone plug, don't care about the other expensive gimmicks like those in Dualsense

worst triggers (if they can be so called) ever! i had to buy a cronus max to remap all that games that dont allows to swtich aim/shoot from L1/R1 to L2/R2 + ive got trigger caps on ebay to make them decent. coming from an xbox360 it was a nightmare. worst controller ever at that time , considering aiming/shooting with triggers was already common.

anyway, i gift u a long usb cable+some money for electricity bill. never heared before of controller's autonomy before! i mean, do u play console games on a middle of desert, where every watt matters??

2 minutes ago, XpanderFX said:

Edited by XpanderFX

3 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

I prefer the Dualshock 3, its 30 hours battery life or so is what I value the most on a controller. (at least 20 hours is guaranteed as I remember platting AC2 on my brand new ps3 controller without charging at all).

Just wanted a 20 hour battery life controller with a headphone plug, don't care about the other expensive gimmicks like those in Dualsense

Me too! It lasts so long and it charges in no time. After growing with small bit of PS1 up to now and used to DS and DS2, it will always feel familiar to me.

Also prefer the analog sticks believe it or not. Use a grip for DS4 and Dualsense to prevent wear.

L1 and R1 feel more natural to me as well. Still use those for shooting/aiming on the DS4 and Dualsense ?

And of course the DPAD is fantastic on this!

This is my main controller on PC as well!

Definitely PS5 controller. Even though Playstation has always been my primary console, I actually HATED the PS4 controllers. Didn't like how small and angular they were, and the triggers were so... slow feeling, or mushy feeling? If that makes any sense?

I always like the Xbox controllers more. They felt sturdier and I loved the clicky triggers. But now that the dualsense has the good qualities that I liked in the Xbox controller, theyre easily my favorite now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XpanderFX said:

worst triggers (if they can be so called) ever! i had to buy a cronus max to remap all that games that dont allows to swtich aim/shoot from L1/R1 to L2/R2 + ive got trigger caps on ebay to make them decent. coming from an xbox360 it was a nightmare. worst controller ever at that time , considering aiming/shooting with triggers was already common.

anyway, i gift u a long usb cable+some money for electricity bill. never heared before of controller's autonomy before! i mean, do u play console games on a middle of desert, where every watt matters??

Long USB cables conduct energy poorly so over the years it wear your battery even more than normal use. Also it defeats the purpose of having a wireless controller. Not a big deal for me as my ps5 is really close to where I sit to play, but long battery lifes are welcome

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EdinhoN said:

Long USB cables conduct energy poorly so over the years it wear your battery even more than normal use.

This is the first time I’m reading something claiming this. Very interesting. I know that at longer distances you need larger gauge wires (0/2 gauge or larger) to conduct larger amounts of power and dissipate the heat generated, but I haven’t heard anything at the typical 5V along ~20 gauge wires. And trickle charging batteries at a lower nominal voltage is actually a preferred long-term method for getting maximum charge on batteries, so if voltage does step down (it shouldn’t, even with 28 gauge wire in a usb cable) it shouldn’t negatively impact batteries in any way. 

Usually the only things that wear down batteries is keeping them at very low (0-5%) or very high (97-100%) states of charge or recharging them at very high voltage (aka quick charging). 

Ive been using a 25 foot usb cable with interchangeable ends (mini/micro/etc) on all my controllers since I got my PS3 and all my controllers batteries still function close to new. Plus, I can stay a good distance away from my TV and still charge my controller on the off

chance I haven’t charged it in a couple months and I don’t have another controller nearby. 

Id love to read about some studies/experiments into the matter. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

This is the first time I’m reading something claiming this. Very interesting. I know that at longer distances you need larger gauge wires (0/2 gauge or larger) to conduct larger amounts of power and dissipate the heat generated, but I haven’t heard anything at the typical 5V along ~20 gauge wires. And trickle charging batteries at a lower nominal voltage is actually a preferred long-term method for getting maximum charge on batteries, so if voltage does step down (it shouldn’t, even with 28 gauge wire in a usb cable) it shouldn’t negatively impact batteries in any way. 

Usually the only things that wear down batteries is keeping them at very low (0-5%) or very high (97-100%) states of charge or recharging them at very high voltage (aka quick charging). 

Ive been using a 25 foot usb cable with interchangeable ends (mini/micro/etc) on all my controllers since I got my PS3 and all my controllers batteries still function close to new. Plus, I can stay a good distance away from my TV and still charge my controller on the off

chance I haven’t charged it in a couple months and I don’t have another controller nearby. 

Id love to read about some studies/experiments into the matter. 

Well at least from my experience, finding quality micro-USB cables are always a nightmare in my country. I had a Nexus 5 smartphone for years which required 1.5A to charge properly (if I remember correctly). After the original cable broke I struggled to find quality cables who were capable of recharging it properly, until I bought the PS4 and finally I could have my phone charging in 1.5 to 2 hours again.

All 5+ meters cable I've been able to find here were terrible, due to how much more costly they are to produce, I'd be certain to find bad wiring quality inside.

24AWG? Forget it. It's a relief for me when I buy a new phone and I still have the old cable working properly because I'm starting to accumulate high quality cables

DualSense.

I still think the DualShock 4 is more comfortable, it's the most comfortable controller I've ever used. As someone who's done plenty of very long gaming sessions...the DualSense tends to cramp my hands after awhile, whereas the DS4 never has. DS4 just has a better form factor. Also battery life...anyone who's saying the DualSense is better in the battery department...I don't know where you're getting that from. While the DS4 isn't great, I have to charge my DualSense's almost every single day...whereas with the DS4 I can usually go a day and a half.  I said from the start that these controllers needed at least a 3000mAh battery in them...Sony should been striving for DS3 levels of battery life. Considering it's the big thing people complained about with the DS4, it makes no sense why they made the same mistake all over again. 

With that being said. Everything else about the DualSense is better. From it's build quality, to the features, Haptics > Classic rumble all day, to it's weight. And I think it overall is a better looking controller than the DS4. 

19 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

My best to worst (only for the 3 more modern consoles):

- PS5: one of the best controllers they’ve created. Of course it is larger so it took my tiny hands some time to get used to but I feel like I have better reflexes with it already. Love the haptic triggers too.

-PS4: my second favorite. After playing on the 5 though, it has made me dislike it somewhat. 
I thought it was miles better than the 3. I do think it has a better battery life than the 5 though. Had R2/l2 breaking problems later on and a lot of controller drifting.

- PS3: I mean for its time it worked and was good, but once you realize how easy the r2/l2 buttons can break you realize how awful the damn thing is. I never use mine.. wait I can’t.. all of mine are completely useless for full game use lol

The PS3 controllers are absolute work horses. Not only do they have a ridiculous long charge life, but they are very durable. All my PS3 controllers (I think there are 6 in the house) remain fully functional a decade later.

The DS4 was a definite upgrade, apart from the horrible battery life. It is not unusual to go through 2 in a day of gaming.

The Dualsense is an excellent controller from an ergonomics perspective, and the battery life seems to be an upgrade from the DS4. Unfortunately, less than a year in (playing only 3 PS5 games which used haptic, and most of my console use being for PS4 games), both of my Dualsense's have broken R2 triggers. For this reason alone, the Dualsense gets a failing grade from me at this point in time.

Edited by diskdocx

19 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

Long USB cables conduct energy poorly so over the years it wear your battery even more than normal use. Also it defeats the purpose of having a wireless controller. Not a big deal for me as my ps5 is really close to where I sit to play, but long battery lifes are welcome

from what i know the slower u charge a battery the more it lasts. in fact all those "fast charging" so much trendy nowadays in cell phones are only made to ruin batteries faster. saying this, if long cable sends less current (slower charging), it can only benefit battery life, even if u have to wait more for a full charge

2 hours ago, diskdocx said:

The PS3 controllers are absolute work horses. Not only do they have a ridiculous long charge life, but they are very durable. All my PS3 controllers (I think there are 6 in the house) remain fully functional a decade later.

The DS4 was a definite upgrade, apart from the horrible battery life. It is not unusual to go through 2 in a day of gaming.

The Dualsense is an excellent controller from an ergonomics perspective, and the battery life seems to be an upgrade from the DS4. Unfortunately, less than a year in (playing only 3 PS5 games which used haptic, and most of my console use being for PS4 games), both of my Dualsense's have broken R2 triggers. For this reason alone, the Dualsense gets a failing grade from me at this point in time.

Opposite for me. Must just be miss of luck. Went through 9 ps3 controllers lol. And the one I kept has no buttons at the top now (as well as has to always be plugged in) but I use it to easily turn the console on.