Star Wars Eclipse by Quantic Dream (2026)

ziggypossum

New rumours reckon Quantic Dream is making a Star Wars game

"They now finished their contract with Sony and will be signing with Disney."

Now released from its three-game deal with Sony, Quantic Dream - developer of PlayStation exclusives Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human - has reportedly signed a deal with Disney and is rumoured to be working on a new Star Wars game.

It's a timely rumour, not least because it coincides with LucasFilm moving away from its exclusivity deal with EA, including plans to make a new open-world game based on the fan-favourite franchise with Ubisoft.

"They've now finished their contract with Sony and will be signing with Disney," French YouTuber Gautoz said in a video this week (thanks, VGC), hypothesising that Quantic's recent push back on hostile work environment allegations was to preserve this newly forged partnership. "It looks like they will be working on a Star Wars game."

Whilst admittedly, rumours like that alone carry little weight, DualShockers' Tom Henderson separately posted an image to Twitter that featured a character from Quantic's Detroit Become Human with two lightsabers emblazoned across the top of it. Curiouser and curiouser, eh?

Without anything substantive from Disney or Quantic all we can do is chalk this up as a rumour for now, but - as always - as soon as we know more, you'll be the first to know.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-19-new-rumours-reckon-quantic-dream-is-making-a-star-wars-game

Edited by ziggypossum
EDIT
  • Like 2

Never played any of their games before, but can someone please explain how -- if EA had exclusivity over Star Wars -- Star Wars Pinball got made? Also, I hope with all this news about KOTOR and this thread, that maybe we'll finally see Force Unleashed 3, or at least the first two games remade/remastered for next-gen. 

12 hours ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Never played any of their games before, but can someone please explain how -- if EA had exclusivity over Star Wars -- Star Wars Pinball got made? Also, I hope with all this news about KOTOR and this thread, that maybe we'll finally see Force Unleashed 3, or at least the first two games remade/remastered for next-gen. 

It’s no longer exclusive to EA

even Ubisoft are making their own Star Wars game 

If true, I think this could actually be a good thing for QD as a company - even if I personally don't really care about Star Wars as an IP.

With the restrictions placed on narrative by working with a 'controlled IP' like Star Wars, there will be significant limitations on how "off the reservation" David Cage can take the narrative, and so QD as an art-house and developer should be able to shine a little more, without their good work being so often undone by Cage's poor writing.

Couple that with the problematic stuff involving Cage and the lawsuits and hostile-working-environment stuff - which presumably means the company will be limiting how much Cage himself is presented as the "auteur" creator and public-facing embodiment of QD generally, and keeping him more in the background - I could see this being the game in which QD the developer are able to divorce themselves from David Cage and have their technical competence and artistic flair step out of the shadow of his influence - and that can only be a good thing.

I can only imagine how fantastic a game with the artistic and mechanical finesse of a Quantic Dream game, but with great writing, could be - and if it takes a Star Wars game to get us to that point, I'm all for it!

12 hours ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Two possibilities.

1. The tables started off as a DLC for a bigger game. I think even with exclusive game deals, DLC doesn't factor in. Or maybe EA said it was okay?

2. Maybe it counts as a Stern deal? Stern being the people that made real life pinball machines that were used in the game. Disney gave Stern a license to make pinball machines and then they used that license to make DLC/a game with their machine license. So Disney said EA would have exclusive rights from them but can't control other people entitled to rights outside of games?

Despite people's criticism of their games, I've typically loved Quantic Dream and their style. I didn't play Beyond: Two Souls, but Heavy Rain was one of my favourite PS3 games and had Detroit: Become Human not come out in the same year as God of War, I think it would have been my GOTY in 2018. Detroit was incredible and I wish more developers made no-apologies story-driven games that aren't episodic. I know nothing about really David Cage specifically, though, and obviously bad workplace culture shouldn't be ignored. 

1 hour ago, VeldinX said:

It’s so sad in my opinion, a real waste of QD’s talent of creating their own unique worlds. :/

I kind of see this too. I'm torn. A Detroit: Become Human style Star Wars game would be so damn good, but equally, I think Heavy Rain and Detroit: Become Human were fantastic and their worlds very immersive. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

just saw this and tbh, while i am glad KOTOR is being remade, i am absolutely over this Star Wars overload. There is way too much of it that i think it has actually damaged its reputation. 

This crap here doesn't help

We didn't get many star wars games in the last years tbf. We got plenty of games in the early 2000s and the only 4 games we got in the last 9 years were the 2 battlefronts, jedi fallen order and squadrons (excluding the aspyr ports of old games).

Edited by westersburg

4 minutes ago, westersburg said:

We didn't get many star wars games in the last years tbf. We got plenty of games in the early 2000s and the only 4 games we got in the last 9 years were the 2 battlefronts, jedi fallen order and squadrons (excluding the aspyr ports of old games).

yeah, plus a ton of shows and films.... 

16 hours ago, Infernopommes said:

If David Cage directs this, we already know what the twist will be:

Reveal hidden contents

Somehow Palpatine has returned.

5nm3ly.jpg

I honestly hope if the rumors are true, David Cage stays away from it. It seems that Star Wars games lately are a crapshoot, some are decent, some.....arent.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

I'm not sure how the EA/Disney deal was written, but apparently there was some leeway for DLC or crossover events? 

The Star Wars pinball "machines" were originally add-ons for a base pinball game, weren't they?

After a quick search, it looks like the first Star Wars pinball game was released in 2013, the same year the EA/Disney deal was announced. Presumably some kind of "grandfather clause" or other allowance was made for Zen to be able to keep adding Star Wars pinball machines to their library.

https://kotaku.com/what-we-ve-heard-about-a-quantic-dream-star-wars-game-1847708431

What We’ve Heard About A Quantic Dream Star Wars Game

Sources say the Heavy Rain studio's next game could be more action-focused

Kotaku has heard the same from a third, separate source with knowledge of the studio’s development plans. According to this individual, Quantic Dream has indeed been working on a Star Wars game for approximately a year and a half, but it won’t be the conventional type of quick-time-event-driven game we’ve come to expect from the French studio. Instead, they said, the game will have more traditional action gameplay, and possibly even open world and multiplayer elements.

Quantic Dream did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

• Like 3