Does this mean bethesda aren't going to be Microsoft exclusive?

JoesusHCrust

Ever since Microsoft bought Bethesda, I've been worrying that future Bethesda IPs will be Xbox console exclusives. However, this game is published by Bethesda. Does this give us some hope that e.g. Elder Scrolls 6 or Fallout 5 will be available on PS5? 

P.S. Arkane was part of the Microsoft purchase of Bethesda too. 

Just now, Varhur said:

I'm pretty sure that the Deathloop contract was made before the acquisition. 

Yes, you're right. I've just found this: "Microsoft originally announced its plans to acquire Bethesda in September, promising to honor PS5 exclusivity commitments for Deathloop and GhostWire: Tokyo. Games like The Elder Scrolls: Online will also “continue to be supported exactly as it was.”"

1 minute ago, Silverguise said:

Everything from here on, ES6, Stanfield, etc., is now a Microsoft exclusive

That'll go down with the franchise fans like a Roy Chubby Brown joke at the Green Party conference. Fucking capitalists! :) 

I really hope you're wrong but it wouldn't make much sense to spend all that money and not make these big name releases Xbox console exclusives. 

The line about continuing to support TES:O gives us a clue as to the PR angle they'll take - 'you can't get TES6 but you can still access TES:O'.

14 minutes ago, Beware_Of_Bob said:

Chose? They didn't have a choice. Unless they wanted to go to court and lose.

That’s still a choice. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bethesda titles start Microsoft exclusive, but eventually make their way to Playstation. Launch exclusives mostly. They’re going to be leaving a big chunk of long term cash on the table if they stick with the exclusivity gimmick after being multi platform all these years. 

• Like 4

I'm expecting TES6 and Fallout 5 to be on Xbox and PC. However, I think some "smaller" titles such as maybe DOOM 3 and Wolfenstein 3 might be on PlayStation. It's hard for me to imagine that Xbox is going to alienate the entirety of the established PlayStation fanbase on EVERYTHING. Doing it to titles like Starfield, TES and Fallout gives them the proper straight punch to balls that they need while things like DOOM, Wolfenstein and maybe Dishonored 3 can grab them extra funds by also laying them out on PlayStation. 

Edited by Viper

New titles will be exclusive to Xbox. But interestingly they're still re-releasing Skyrim on PlayStation this November. Perhaps they'll still put remasters on other platforms to players over to the Xbox ecosystem for the newer titles? I have a Series S and a Series X so I'll get the go of everything anyway, but it would be a smart play.

The story I've heard is that Sony, being aware that Bethesda was going to get bought by Microsoft, paid for exclusivity for Deathloop and GhostWire Tokyo so it'd take longer for Microsoft to start getting worth from their purchase and slow any momentum they may try to build up. It remains to be seen with GhostWire, but it seems to have been a wise move with Deathloop which has been highly rated.

16 minutes ago, Viper said:

I'm expecting TES6 and Fallout 5 to be on Xbox and PC. However, I think some "smaller" titles such as maybe DOOM 3 and Wolfenstein 3 might be on PlayStation. It's hard for me to imagine that Xbox is going to alienate the entirety of the established PlayStation fanbase on EVERYTHING. Doing it to titles like Starfield, TES and Fallout gives them the proper straight punch to balls that they need while things like DOOM, Wolfenstein and maybe Dishonored 3 can grab them extra funds by also laying them out on PlayStation. 

Don't worry, they'll make it easier for you by showing you. Microsoft's current strategy is taking unknown but thought to be massive losses in an attempt to change how consumers consume games and damage their opponents business, their old favourite. As such those titles you're mentioning making less money/straight up losing money is not something that Microsoft cares about as them making money isn't important. As long as they're under this current management at the top anyway.

Anything that was in development before the buyout should be coming to all platforms. It would probably be too expensive to break those contracts, and a really dumb PR move. Microsoft also may just let games come to all platforms anyway. They've already done so before with stuff like Cuphead and Minecraft.

2 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

So, the playstation fanbase needs a straight punch to the balls because Microsoft couldn't create their own dev studio worth a damn and opted to purchase Bethesda's parent company and put doubt on the future availability of multiple long-time multi-platform IPs?

I feel like the way you worded this makes you think I'm on Microsoft's side about this. I loathe this acquisition, I absolutely hate that Microsoft did this. I get why they did it...but I don't like that they did. So I'm not saying PlayStation needs this at all...I'm saying that Microsoft making these games exclusive is a straight punch to the balls for us and they're well aware of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

That’s still a choice. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bethesda titles start Microsoft exclusive, but eventually make their way to Playstation. Launch exclusives mostly. They’re going to be leaving a big chunk of long term cash on the table if they stick with the exclusivity gimmick after being multi platform all these years. 

In some nebulous perspective sure that’s a choice. A choice to not get sued into oblivion, not a choice birthed from charity. 

8 minutes ago, SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki said:

In some nebulous perspective sure that’s a choice. A choice to not get sued into oblivion, not a choice birthed from charity. 

Sued to oblivion? Not in this universe. Penalties for breaking these types of contracts are only in the tens of millions at most. MS is throwing away way more than that if they take these studios and make them exclusive forever. 

I hope you're right DaivRules. It would seem to be economically questionable to make long-established popular franchises like Fallout and TES Xbox exclusives. I still hope that they'll go for something like releasing them first on Xbox and then later on PS5. After all, this is what they've done in reverse for Deathloop on the PS5 - the game will release a year later on Xbox. They're calling it a 'timed exclusive'. 

2 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I hope you're right DaivRules. It would seem to be economically questionable to make long-established popular franchises like Fallout and TES Xbox exclusives. I still hope that they'll go for something like releasing them first on Xbox and then later on PS5. After all, this is what they've done in reverse for Deathloop on the PS5 - the game will release a year later on Xbox. They're calling it a 'timed exclusive'. 

its not going to happen, if you really want to play those games, get an Xbox, thats what MS want you to do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

its not going to happen, if you really want to play those games, get an Xbox, thats what MS want you to do.

You seem very sure. I suspect that you're right, but with the info I've seen, I can't be sure. Maybe you have more info though, I don't really follow gaming news very closely. I may get an Xbox, money permitting. I'll see what happens in the future. Truth be told, I don't really want to own two consoles but if there are enough Microsoft exclusives that I really want to play, it's something I'd probably end up doing. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

I feel like the way you worded this makes you think I'm on Microsoft's side about this. I loathe this acquisition, I absolutely hate that Microsoft did this. I get why they did it...but I don't like that they did. So I'm not saying PlayStation needs this at all...I'm saying that Microsoft making these games exclusive is a straight punch to the balls for us and they're well aware of it.

Well, that's because the part of your original post that I quoted came across that way.  Could just be the way it was worded.

I just hope their plan backfires and they'll change course to just being timed exclusives

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Well, that's because the part of your original post that I quoted came across that way.  Could just be the way it was worded.

I just hope their plan backfires and they'll change course to just being timed exclusives

I doubt Bethesda even care if they dont make the sales, they got/getting their money from MS.

12 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

I doubt Bethesda even care if they dont make the sales, they got/getting their money from MS.

It is about money now? I thought Bethesda cared about growing their communities. They went out and made mobile games and ported games to Switch pretty diligently but it is about the money now, I can see why dropping support is fine for them now

Deathloop was contracted prior to Microsoft buying Bethesda for $7.5 Billion. Microsoft honoured the contract, however, I'm 99.9% sure this will be the final Bethesda game on PlayStation. Wouldn't make sense to spends billions to buy something and still sell it on your competitor's platform.

3 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

So, the playstation fanbase needs a straight punch to the balls because Microsoft couldn't create their own dev studio worth a damn and opted to purchase Bethesda's parent company and put doubt on the future availability of multiple long-time multi-platform IPs?

Shouldn't be any doubt. Why would any Bethesda titles release on PlayStation now?

• Like 1