Last of us Factions help

tonkie18

Please can anybody give me some tips for this game. I need the multiplayer trophies for the platinum and I suck at it so badly. I’ve read and read, watched videos.. but I can’t get the hang of it at all. I’m annihilated every game and letting the team down all of the time. 
I can’t get any downs, I’m caught constantly even though I crouch walk everywhere. I try to focus on healing and reviving so I’m not a complete liability but I’m always shot doing that. 
I am rubbish with all of the weapons and can never sneak up on anybody. I’m a level 2 and I’m put in games with 999s constantly. 

if you can explain it like I’m a baby that would be great. I just want the journey trophies ?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

If you’re finding it hard to take someone down with a gun especially since you have limited ammo then start crafting. Molotovs are an insta-kill and once you know your way around the maps start placing bombs where you think people are likely to go, a good choice is always at a corner since there’s a 50/50 chance they’ll come from the opposite side where you place it. I’m pretty average at MP games and a good chunk of my downs came from placed bombs.

I fully agree with this, spend some time with the game and create a loadout that suits your playstyle.

If like me your aim is awful and you don't enjoy multiplayer then concentrate on crafting and sneaking (you will get good at it with a little practice) and don't draw attention to yourself, bring a silenced handgun instead of a shotgun.

I didn't like Factions at first but I grew to really enjoy it, I'm not going to claim I got good at it but just slightly less awful.

• Like 4

Thanks guys some great tips .. and have given me a little bit of confidence to persevere with it. 

im not sure how to tag things though I’ll have to look into that. And how to place bombs I always threw them in the story. I also don’t know how to make a load out or which guns I’m better with - I’m crap with them all! I came out of grounded plus mode feeling like a boss.. now I feel completely pathetic ?

Being slightly less awful would be fantastic. I just want those trophies! 

im gonna give it another shot now.

• Like 4

Try to avoid being prey and feel out predator tactics from a deep place within yourself...

At every opportunity think about whether rushing in is the best idea and whether it is likely to lead to a quick death. Consider instead what your opponent is doing and what they are likely to do, and then prepare a trap accordingly. 

If you're playing a lot and find yourself dying regularly in some particular locations, then those are the chokepoints/killboxes to avoid at all costs/those are the crossroads to prey upon. Crafting parts are usually kept in those spots to entice prey to go there to provoke action.

If there's action in those spots, shoot the people in there to assist your teammates. If the action is somewhere else, you don't need to be crouching because there's no one near you, get the materials, go hide somewhere safe and do some crafting, and then go sit off the next vulnerable materials spot.

If nothing is happening, be a shadow for another teammate.

• Like 2

The online experience has changed so much from when the game first released. Certainly on the Survivors game mode so often now there isn’t even chance to craft because high level players choose to rush straight from spawn. 

As a result the crafting section does not even feature and the match becomes a 4v4 shooter most rounds only lasting a minute or so.

One of my favourite multiplayer experiences in a long time but something that should be addressed for TLOU2 multiplayer.

• Like 1

It’s so hard. I try to hide I’m found constantly. There isn’t enough time to try and learn the map or weapons as I’m constantly dead. The stats at the end are so cringey and I know everybody must hate me. I have to mute everyone because I can’t listen to them trashing me ?

• Like 1

To be honest, if you don’t have much experience with PvP games you’re definitely likely to struggle with this one given it’s somewhat hardcore and has a small yet dedicated playerbase. 

I agree with one of the earlier comments in that my biggest tip would be to simply ‘shadow’ one of your teammates. Every time you respawn, literally just choose the one closest to you and follow their every move.

Not only will this give you the opportunity to learn from them, it’ll also allow you to be their back-up, enabling them to do better. If you hang back a little bit, you can watch them from behind in case they get flanked. If they start a firefight with someone, you can help land a bullet or two. If they charge into battle, you can be their bullet sponge whilst they secure the kill ? Etcetera 

My second biggest tip would be to prioritise staying alive. If you genuinely struggle to down a single player, your next best bet is to simply prevent the enemy from securing you as a kill. Factions is a numbers game, with teams having just 4 members apiece, meaning that every single casualty is a huge detriment to your team and a big boon for the opposition. You simply existing is enough to ward off the enemy and allow your teammates to survive and make plays. 

Sticking near a teammate will help you with this. If they go down, you’ll have to assess whether or not you can safely revive them. If they’re behind cover and the enemy is far enough away, you can probably pull it off. But if they’re in the open and the enemy is now bearing down on you, literally just run away before they can get you. If you don’t feel confident in taking a 1v1, then don’t take it; retreat and live to fight another day.

As for weapons, you’re almost certainly going to have a better time with the ones that are easier to use. For primary, this means either the Burst Rifle or the Full-Auto Rifle. It might also be worth attaching a silencer to your primary, so that if you fail to down someone you can run away easier. For secondary, I highly recommend the Shorty, which will oneshot most people (but beware that it has a very small range). Hiding and waiting for them to get close before pulling it out is a good method. 

I believe you tag enemies via aiming and then pressing R3. This can be done very quickly, and you should definitely try to tag every single enemy you see. Planting a bomb is done by solely pressing R2 (or R1, I’m not sure which) without aiming it beforehand. 

Armour, Molotovs, Nail Bombs, and Melee Upgrades will probably give you the most success when it comes to crafting. 

As for perks, I can’t remember them all but try to pick ones that help out your teammates. For example, the one that allows you to revive faster. 

Also there’s zero shame in having bad stats at the end of a game. It’s basically guaranteed if you’re new to the game/PvP. 

If all else fails, you can just cheese the trophies: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/188672-easiest-way-to-get-the-mp-trophies-fireflies-amp-hunters/

The only thing that guide doesn’t note is that if you’re failing to meet the demands of a must-win objective, you can close the game via the PS menu before the match ends and it’ll allow you to try again and again. 

EDIT: I almost forgot, but Covert Training 2 will be an incredibly useful skill for you, easily the most important. Don’t forget that you can also use the listening mode to locate enemies behind cover too. 

Edited by MrFudge
  • Like 1

@MrFudge thanks so much for your detailed reply. Especially the help with weapons as everything I’ve been using has been rubbish.

not got to grips with armour yet - that’s probably a huge downfall as most players can down me in one shot. 

I’ll give those weapons and perks a go and see if I can at least stay alive. I have no issue with hiding and waiting to see if any kills come to me. But for some reason all the enemies find me straight away, I can’t get enough cover. If I do manage to find somewhere good, when it comes to combat It feels like I’m firing a BB gun and they have some serious machinery. 

I’ll try to follow the team mates as well, at least that way I might be able to get some revives in. 

19 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

not got to grips with armour yet - that’s probably a huge downfall as most players can down me in one shot. 

If I remember correctly, you obtain armour via the crafting menu with the use of the ‘gears’ currency, which is earned via kills, revives, completing objectives, etc. Unfortunately this does mean that if you’re having a bad game you’re not going to be able to afford it. But whilst it’s strong, it’s far from the most important thing in the game. 

22 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

I’ll give those weapons and perks a go and see if I can at least stay alive. I have no issue with hiding and waiting to see if any kills come to me. But for some reason all the enemies find me straight away, I can’t get enough cover.

Hiding and waiting is useful to an extent, but staying in one spot for too long will only make you a sitting duck. Don’t forget that after the very beginning of the match, where the two teams spawn on opposite sides of the map, enemies can and will respawn all over the map. This means that they will come from behind you, or from the side, and so on. This is on top of the fact that many players will be trying to sneak around you throughout the entire match. Which is why I recommend gluing yourself to teammates at all times, since they will generally have a better idea as to where the enemies will come from, and if you are caught out then maybe they can still avenge you (or vice versa!) 

As for knowing exactly where you are even when they can’t see you, remember that good players will be using the listening ability regularly, and that without Covert Training 2 they will be able to see you even when you’re crouch-walking. 

33 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

If I do manage to find somewhere good, when it comes to combat It feels like I’m firing a BB gun and they have some serious machinery. 

Unfortunately there are perks which improve your weapon performance - perks they might be using - which I only hesitate recommending to you because you do need to be pretty accurate to make use of them, and obviously I have no idea what your aim is like. Headshots are also very lethal in this game, meaning if you’re not hitting them you’re going to be at a disadvantage regardless. 

But so long as you can generally hit the target, that should be enough. 

41 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

I’ll try to follow the team mates as well, at least that way I might be able to get some revives in. 

Yep, again I can’t stress enough that this is my most recommended strategy in general. Good luck!

• Like 1

Just platinum'd the game last week. For me, this multiplayer was awful and boring as hell, but some tips:

If you're going just for the trophies on the base game, don't even try to get kills (I ended the multiplayer at lvl 15 and almost everyone there is level 999...). Focus on the support class and heal, revive and craft bombs as much as possible. Place bombs under windows, near doors... maybe you can rack some kills here. 

If you're going for DLC trophies, well shit. Try to kill/knock 5 people on those maps. Sometimes you'll kill more using the bombs and some molotovs. Don't rush as you'll be killed very fast.

Again, if playing only for the trophies, you can skip most games (if you have at least 1 healty survivor). I skipped like 2/3 of the matches and still found it boring, haha.

Edit: Supply Raid is the easiest and you'll fint matches always. The other 2 modes are harder IMO. Prepare for long queues...

Read the guides on how to avoid the 100% survivor loss. I did the crafting 2, 4 and 6 items and then the 5 and 10 heals (there're 5 100% loss missions). Those were so easy to do.

Edited by breakXedge
  • Like 2

Oh I’m not sure how to skip matches? That sounds desirable! I’ve had one good ish game today - I got 2 kills ? but the rest have been painful and I’m about to rage quit! 

how do I get covert training 2? 

I want to 100% the game if possible but these online trophies are exhausting. No idea how ill get to week 12!

15 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

Oh I’m not sure how to skip matches? That sounds desirable! I’ve had one good ish game today - I got 2 kills ? but the rest have been painful and I’m about to rage quit! 

how do I get covert training 2? 

I want to 100% the game if possible but these online trophies are exhausting. No idea how ill get to week 12!

Here: https://psnprofiles.com/guide/596-the-last-of-us-multiplayer-missions-guide

Basically, if you have at least 1 healty survivor, you can quit the match as soon as it starts to skip a day. 

• Like 1

Try this loadout:

- 9MM Pistol - good fire rate and reload speed.

- Burst Rifle - same as 9mm, except it fires in short bursts that can down players instantly if landed a headshot. Very good choice if you want to get better at aiming.

- Sharpshooter 2 - essential perk if you want to improve your aim as it reduces scope sway and damage wobble. Grants you health for each headshot, giving you an advantage when exchanging shots with other players. This way you can also heal by just simply shooting downed enemies in the head.

- Covert Training 2 - you won't show up on listen mode when crouch walking, however you can still be marked and players that use Hawk-eyed 2 will see you even through walls. You can avoid that with Covert Training 3.

- Explosion Expert 2 - this makes your bombs and molotovs more effective and very hard to avoid. Most of the veterans use it.

The only downside of this setup is that you will need more time to craft items and heal, but you never should do these things during combat anyway, so it's not a big deal.

As for the playstyle:

- Stick to your teammates and cover their backs. Never run into a fight alone. When you see your team is under attack, assist them in killing the enemy. This way even if you get downed, chances are someone is going to revive you. It will also be harder to surprise you.

- The burst rifle works best at medium or close range. Aim for the headshots, try to hit them with all 3 shots in a single burst. For armored opponents aim for their legs, it's the most vulnerable spot in this case.

- Running reveals your position on the radar, so better avoid it, unless you want to distract someone. Walking makes you visible in listen mode. It's safe to walk during a fight because whoever is shooting grabs the attention by appearing on the radar. Planting and throwing bombs or molotovs also reveals your position. Same happens when you're holding them while aiming at something.

- Always prioritize upgrading your primary weapon over buying the armor. Armor can be destroyed quickly and always disappears upon death, you need to buy it again. Weapon upgrades stay with you until the end of the match and increase your chances against armored players.

- You can duck at the right time during a fight to make your opponent miss a headshot and waste ammo. If you are out of cover and happen to run out of ammo while being under attack, you can move left and right when reloading to become a harder target.

- The best moment to attack someone is when you know they can't get into cover in time. Even if you are behind the enemy, he can still get away if there's some piece of cover in his range.

- Save your crafting materials to upgrade your melee weapon as soon as possible, so you can eliminate people at close range with one hit.

- Don't waste materials on crafting health kits, there are plenty to find on the map, sometimes you can get one from your teammates.

- Use bombs and molotovs. It's why you have that Explosion Expert 2 in your loadout. ?

Edited by Domino_Destructo
  • Like 1

I went the support route myself, if I got kills it was a bonus. The shadowing of other players is a great tip because they can do the heavy lifting combat wise and you are actually helping them by healing and crafting/gifting. A steady if unspectacular performance is infinitely better than going for glory and failing 9/10.

In terms of trophies once i got the faction size of 40 trophy out of the way i found it was actually better to fail missions on purpose by picking ridiculous ones to keep the clan size small. Other than the 100% risk ones of course. Stick to healing and crafting on those and you'll pass them easily as you are already doing it 

• Like 1

On 21/09/2021 at 0:04 PM, tonkie18 said:

It’s so hard. I try to hide I’m found constantly. There isn’t enough time to try and learn the map or weapons as I’m constantly dead. The stats at the end are so cringey and I know everybody must hate me. I have to mute everyone because I can’t listen to them trashing me 1f648.png

I mute players microphones also as I don't want to hear their lives through them.  Yes there will aways some cocky player that starts messaging you and telling you,  you are garbage, trust me I have had that too, on both accounts.  It takes me about 6 hours solid play to familiarise myself with the maps [ which are random ] and get better at killing the opposition.  I hate it if I spawn miles away from the team as I want to stick with them to either heal or gift them when I am using support loadout, which I generally use throughout except on 10% or 60% pops.   As long as you get at least level 1 on the pops you will probably survive them.  It is basically just trial and error.

I just recently got these trophies and I suck so bad at the multiplayer too.

i found that on the 100% Population risk challenges use the Heal Teammates and Mark Opponents challenges.

then just dedicate your matches to doing those tasks, it’s fairly easy. 

also if you are doing your 1/3 matches for the challenges and you’re failing brutally to get them, just click the PS button and close out the game and it won’t register that you’ve used one of the days. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I failed my first attempt on week 6. I’ve tried again and just got to week 12.. however the trophy didn’t pop!!! I’m not impressed. 

ive taken all of your advice and I’m doing ok. I get 4-5 downs a match now mainly with placing bombs. Being more strategic with the population losses and using gifting/healing for the 100% ones. 

I’m still completely rubbish just not as rubbish. On week 12 day 1 and still no trophy! I have 54 people in my clan? Not sure why it’s not popping.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

I’m still completely rubbish just not as rubbish. On week 12 day 1 and still no trophy! I have 54 people in my clan? Not sure why it’s not popping.

You need to complete week 12 and get past day 7 of it. 

IIRC, you should be on a 100% at risk mission currently, and there's one more 100% at risk mission for you at day 4 of week 12.

If you pick random objectives on the population increase missions and 60% risk missions, and save the easy objectives for the 100% missions, these are a breeze.

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, tonkie18 said:

I failed my first attempt on week 6

If you're at risk of loosing a 100% casualties just use a PS button to quit. By doing so you will not lose a day and also you'll save all your complete objectives. Basically this method made online trophies a joke. Very boring and tedious joke...

• 10 months later...

started this earlier and got to week 4, day 4 and just got my clan to level 40 for the trophy, it's not a bad game but I'm not a fan of multiplayer and want to get it done as quick as possible, so how many days would it be alright to skip from here up until the end? and be fine with survivors left so I don't get wiped out

19 hours ago, LukeTheGooner said:

started this earlier and got to week 4, day 4 and just got my clan to level 40 for the trophy, it's not a bad game but I'm not a fan of multiplayer and want to get it done as quick as possible, so how many days would it be alright to skip from here up until the end? and be fine with survivors left so I don't get wiped out

In my experience, I have skipped many matches Until my population is 4 hungry or less (even with 0 healthy)If 5 or more, then I continued to skip matches.  Not too sure if 4 or less is a skip so I didn't risk it.  With this method, it took me probably about 2 days of gaming session to finish the 12 weeks.

3 hours ago, acidkai_ak said:

In my experience, I have skipped many matches Until my population is 4 hungry or less (even with 0 healthy)If 5 or more, then I continued to skip matches.  Not too sure if 4 or less is a skip so I didn't risk it.  With this method, it took me probably about 2 days of gaming session to finish the 12 weeks.

I've decided to do each day for my first journey and then I'm going to use the skip method for the second journey, right now I'm on week 7

• Like 1

• 1 month later...