Recommend me some Metroidvanias to play.

ObsceneSociopath

I've always been a fan of Metroidvanias (arguably my favourite genre) & with the recent release of Axiom Verge 2 which led to me then replaying Axiom Verge 1, I'm looking for some new Metroidvania games to play that I've not yet experienced.

In the last couple of years on PS4 I've bought or replayed:

Axiom Verge

Axiom Verge 2

Blasphemous 

Chasm

Death's Gambit

Timespinner

Mummy Demastered 

Salt & Sanctuary

Castlevania Advance Collection 

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Bloodtained: Curse of the Moon

I've also revisited older games outside of the Playstation family like Super Metroid & some of the GBA/DS Castlevania's but I'm now specifically looking for something that I've never played before for a new experience.

I'm just hoping there might be some more good ones out there I've overlooked or not heard of? I'm aware of games like Hades & Bastion but it's specifically the Metroidvania style I'm looking to play rather than a hybrid or any other style.

Can any fellow Metroidvania fans help a guy out with some recommendations?

Edited by ObsceneSociopath
Updated titles I've played as of February 2022.
  • Like 1

FIST which just came out, forma.8 ( one of my very favourite games, especially on the Vita), and Headlander are a few other gems.

The Mummy Demastered and the Shantae games are also worth checking out.

Edit - Apotheon was also pretty good and was a Plus freebie that flew under the radar

Edited by diskdocx
  • Like 3

Blasphemous

Guacamelee

Salt and Sanctuary

Strider

Steamworld Dig 2

I haven’t fully played Hollow Knight yet myself, but I’ve logged maybe 4-5 hours on my alt account just to get a feel for it and I have to say it feels pretty fucking amazing. This one seems to be the crown jewel of the metroidvania genre so it’s basically a must play if you’re diving into this genre.

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

Anyone played Yoku’s Island Express?

I just started this one 10 minutes ago and I can already tell it’s going to be amazing. It’s a metroidvania… combined with pinball. Yes, you heard that right, a pinball metroidvania.

It’s certainly the most unconventional and unique ones I’ve come across. Totally different vibe than what OP is looking for but you should check it out anyways if you like the genre. Like I said I’m only a few minutes in but I already feel like I need to go and tell everyone about it lol. ?

• Like 4

This isn't on PlayStation unfortunately but it is on Nintendo systems and PC. My favorite game of all time: Cave Story. Such an amazing game that hold up to this day. Made by one person over the course of a few years and self published as freeware. Now you can get enhanced versions on Steam and Switch. The switch version has the most content and Quality of Life updates.

Others that ARE on PlayStation are that I have platinumed are Hollow Knight and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Bloodstained also has some 8/16 bit spin offs or something but I know it also recently got a true sequel announced in the same style as Ritual of the Night.

Also, check this out if you have the time!

Edited by FrostyMcNugs
  • Like 2

I never expected my thread to get so many replies, thanks guys!

A few of these recommendations I've heard of & others I am definitely going to look into.

It turns out that I even have some of these recommendations already thanks to grabbing them on PS+ & then forgetting I had as I was playing other games at the time.

This should keep me occupied for a bit when I have time to play, thanks again.

• Like 1