Recommend me some Metroidvanias to play.

ObsceneSociopath

23 hours ago, ObsceneSociopath said:

I've also revisited older games outside of the Playstation family like Super Metroid & some of the GBA/DS Castlevania's but I'm now specifically looking for something that I've never played before for a new experience.

Have you tried

Shaman King master of Spirits (1 & 2) for GBA?

EDIT

ando also

Iconoclast

Edited by Namenick_Neku
  • Like 1

On 21/09/2021 at 6:14 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

Lot of good ones mentioned already.

I would also say i enjoyed Yoku as well. It is a metroidvania pinball game

I 100% agree with this. Its a fantastic game that I always recommend to people who love metroidvanias as well as those who want a decent game to play. Its very cheap to buy as well so thays a double win in my opinion!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bro you can't be a fan of metroidvania without playing hollow knight!

But yeah like the others said, check out 

Ender Lillies, f.i.s.t. and blasphemous (sequel coming soon)

There is a new game called tails of iron, I didn't try it yet but check it.

Edited by XXIIlII

• 4 months later...

I've not posted in my thread for a while but I really did appreciate all the recommendations I got.

Since I made this thread I've done the Castlevania Advance Collection, Timespinner (directly in response to @rjdon13 and @G4Knight recommending it) and Metroid Dread.

Last but not least I've most recently finished Blasphemous which so many of you and an irl friend all recommended and all I can say is holy crap, that game is so damn good, I don't know how I went so long without playing it or knowing anything about it, it's the exact ideal of everything I love in a Metroidvania. Cannot wait for Blasphemous 2 next year.

With Guardians of the Galaxy still to finish, Powerslave Exhumed coming out tomorrow and Horizon Forbidden West next week it's gonna be a little while before I had time to start another Metroidvania but when I do, it will be something from this thread again.

3 hours ago, ObsceneSociopath said:

I've not posted in my thread for a while but I really did appreciate all the recommendations I got.

Since I made this thread I've done the Castlevania Advance Collection, Timespinner (directly in response to @rjdon13 and @G4Knight recommending it) and Metroid Dread.

Last but not least I've most recently finished Blasphemous which so many of you and an irl friend all recommended and all I can say is holy crap, that game is so damn good, I don't know how I went so long without playing it or knowing anything about it, it's the exact ideal of everything I love in a Metroidvania. Cannot wait for Blasphemous 2 next year.

With Guardians of the Galaxy still to finish, Powerslave Exhumed coming out tomorrow and Horizon Forbidden West next week it's gonna be a little while before I had time to start another Metroidvania but when I do, it will be something from this thread again.

I just finished Yoku’s Island which has been mentioned in this thread a few times, and it is fantastic. The pinball mechanic is a new twist and the game was absolutely adorable. A definite must play.

Another recent completion that I’ve not seen mentioned here is Foregone. It is stunning visually and a brilliant metroidvania. Combines guns and hack and slash with a very tight set of controls and I would consider it another hidden gem metroidvania.

• Like 1

Seems you're already on top of it but I'd like to give another bump for Powerslave Exhumed which should be out in an hour or so (assuming the 10/2/2022 release date is actually accurate for us here in Australia, Switch is saying 11/2/2022 so ?‍♂️) one of the most AWESOME Doom like shooters of the PS1/Sega Saturn and it was basically Metroid Prime like 5 YEARS before Metroid Prime ?

Still glad I picked up Exhumed (basically Mint, Complete) for PS1 a few months back, but MAN do those games have weird Controls by today's standards (Forward and Back on the D-Pad but Left and Right would Turn and STRAFE Left and Right were on R1 and L1 ?) so was HYPED to see Night Dive Studios announce they had acquired it like a month later late last year ? I'll be buying it Digital on my PS5, XsX and Switch OLED... Shit I'll even grab it again on PS (or maybe ALL? ?‍♂️) if/when they do an LRG Physical Release

Edited by MRR---OFFICIAL

14 hours ago, ObsceneSociopath said:

Youu need to make sure you also check out Momodora and its sequel Minoria as well. Hidden gem there.

1 hour ago, Shikotei-kun said:

Hold the rosary beads! They're doing a sequel2049.png

Help me out here: I can't find the Kickstarter project for that one. I backed the original one and had a blast going through the game.

It's not a Kickstarter this time, I think they've got funding this time around. They actually announced it in August last year around the same time as they announced Wounds of Eventide. If you search Blasphemous 2 through Google there's a few articles about it like these:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/blasphemous-sequel-announced-wounds-eventide-dlc-gamescom%3famp=1

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/08/blasphemous_2_spills_blood_in_2023_first_game_gets_major_dlc_update_this_december

1 hour ago, MRR---OFFICIAL said:

Seems you're already on top of it but I'd like to give another bump for Powerslave Exhumed which should be out in an hour or so (assuming the 10/2/2022 release date is actually accurate for us here in Australia, Switch is saying 11/2/2022 so ?‍♂️) one of the most AWESOME Doom like shooters of the PS1/Sega Saturn and it was basically Metroid Prime like 5 YEARS before Metroid Prime 1f44d.png

Still glad I picked up Exhumed (basically Mint, Complete) for PS1 a few months back, but MAN do those games have weird Controls by today's standards (Forward and Back on the D-Pad but Left and Right would Turn and STRAFE Left and Right were on R1 and L1 1f914.png) so was HYPED to see Night Dive Studios announce they had acquired it like a month later late last year ? I'll be buying it Digital on my PS5, XsX and Switch OLED... Shit I'll even grab it again on PS (or maybe ALL? ?‍♂️) if/when they do an LRG Physical Release

I'm also hoping for a LRG release of it. I played (amd still have) the Saturn version originally which is the original, surprisingly the PS1 version was an easier port of it.

Midnight tonight it should go live here in the UK, unfortunately I'm working at 5am so will be asleep on release and can't play until I finish work haha.

Edited by ObsceneSociopath

11 hours ago, yamsluffy said:

I liked Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

I've bought but haven't played yet

Cyber Shadow

Ender Lilies

Flynn Son of Crimson

Also these are ok

Song of the Deep

Greak: Memories of azur

I agree 100% Record of Lodoss War Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth was a wonderful surprise last year!

The only legitimate "metroidvanias" I can suggest are Advance Collection (you have played based on a recent post) and Requiem Collection for SotN. Based on the games listed in this topic I would say you are looking for open (the) world games. There are plenty of great suggestions in this topic already. Too bad Soul Reaver and the rest of the Legacy of Kain series was never put on PS4. I will add the games I have played or have ben recommended, though I think most are already listed here:

Blaster Master Zero Trilogy - a bit more linear but you still open the world as you progress.

Blasphemous - a bit harder but still fun

Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

Minoria

Apotheon - playing as Greek pottery characters is rather interesting.

Dust - beautifully draw and lots of fun

Mystik Belle - you get to fight Cthulhu in a giant Mech suit as a witch

Micetopia - very small but interesting game

Hollow Knight - you are a literal bug

Shadow Complex remastered

Foregone - have not played much of this one yet just got it recently on a sale

Iconoclasts

Shalnor Legends sacred Lands - this is closer to a LttP but still fits

Guacamelee - playing as a Luchador against the undead is a lot of fun as well, still have not played part 2

Shantae Seven Sirens

Strider - very nicely done throwback

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - only played a little bit of this one.

Some that I have heard about but not played as of yet

Ender Lilies - looks interesting form the videos

F.I.S.T. - sound very interesting and looks good

Tails of Steel

Skul The Hero Slayer - not sure if this one fits the video look very interesting

Blue Fire - a friend keeps telling me to play this but I have not seen it on sale yet.

Aeterena Noctis - i heard this is good, only seen a few videos so far.

I tried not to add the games you have already played.

Edited by Void
  • Like 1