Anybody else find this game boring?

cy1999aek_maik

Please don’t say that. I was literally thinking of buying this today because I’ve been in the mood for a narrative type of game like this. ☹️

Btw my brother also said the kid brother is super annoying lol. It was the only sour point of the game in his opinion. Writers always seem to struggle massively with writing children that don’t make you want to drop kick them in the face for some reason.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Please don’t say that. I was literally thinking of buying this today because I’ve been in the mood for a narrative type of game like this. 2639.png

Btw my brother also said the kid brother is super annoying lol. It was the only sour point of the game in his opinion. Writers always seem to struggle massively with writing children that don’t make you want to drop kick them in the face for some reason.

I guess it's hard to give a kid any realistic and interesting personality trait without making them obnoxious

7 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Please don’t say that. I was literally thinking of buying this today because I’ve been in the mood for a narrative type of game like this. 2639.png

? Your Brother isn't wrong - Daniel can be a real pain... 

However, in fairness - I genuinely believe that wanting to drop-kick the little brother into next week is deliberate - it's a part of the game.

If it was easy to like Daniel, then everyone would end up getting basically the same ending. I think he is supposed to push your buttons and make you angry with him. That's what make doing the right thing hard, or teaching him well not always an obvious task for Sean, or an easy choice for the player.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

On 2021-09-22 at 9:35 AM, TKdovahkiin said:

I totally fell in love with Daniel and the brothers interactions with each other. This was my favorite in the whole series, including the latest one, True Colors:).

Also, can’t get over this song:

Hide contents

Great to hear you enjoyed it! 

I feel like the soundtracks for these games are so underrated! At least in the 2 that I have played, the music always seems to fit the mood so perfectly and would linger in my mind for days afterwards.

I also think that the version of the Life is Strange theme song that plays on the PS3’s XMB is one of the most beautifully calming and relaxing pieces of music I’ve ever heard, no exaggeration! I would post it here to share with you, but unfortunately I cannot find a clear version of it anywhere - it appears to be a modified version of the theme song that plays at the main game menu, where the guitar has been stripped away completely and replaced with soft, warm piano chords, and it seems that the only place where you can listen to it is when you highlight the Life is Strange application on your PS3’s XMB.

The main menu version with the guitar finger picking is beautiful too, but it has a much more uplifting mood to it, whereas the one on the PS3 XMB is very quiet and melancholic with a deeply peaceful and reflective feel to it. It’s truly a wonderful piece of music, and I still catch myself having to stop and listen to it for a few minutes every so often when I fire up my PS3. I wish so badly there was a version I could download or stream instead, but for now it is relegated to a secret little oasis in a dusty corner of my PS3’s XMB. 

Now back to the main topic, I am about to start Life is Strange 2 so I really hope that I end up having positive experience like you did, and end up enjoying the story. I have a few younger brothers myself so perhaps this story will rustle up some type of feelings deep inside my cold, icy heart. ☺️

• Like 2

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

I am surprised how many disliked 2.

Even if the political correctness in the narrative and characters were a bit heavy handed, I still enjoyed my time with it.  Looking forward to True Colors down the line.

When this came out, I noticed that some people seemed to be put off right from the beginning simply because of the absence of beloved characters like Max and Chloe. Since then it seems like there are a lot more reasons why people didn’t like it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it started off on the wrong foot simply because the anthology concept threw people for a loop. Life is Strange, and so are people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

When this came out, I noticed that some people seemed to be put off right from the beginning simply because of the absence of beloved characters like Max and Chloe. Since then it seems like there are a lot more reasons why people didn’t like it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it started off on the wrong foot simply because the anthology concept threw people for a loop. Life is Strange, and so are people.

Max and Chloe may not appear but there story is referenced a fair few times even has a couple of characters from their town that tak about and to them

• Like 1

I remember thinking it was a pretty solid sequel when I was playing along with every episodes release on PC. Going back through it now on my PS5 and I've gotta say, it's even better than I remember. I think episode 3 is a fucking stand out piece of Life is Strange content that could easily stand on its own ala Captain Spirit. I'd recommend at least getting to episode 3 before you put the game down, it's genuinely well worth it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Max and Chloe may not appear but there story is referenced a fair few times even has a couple of characters from their town that tak about and to them

That’s cool. I figured that as an anthology, the stories in each new entry to the series would still likely exist in the same universe, but I wasn’t aware that there were actually tiny threads tying them all together like that. That’s pretty neat and a nice little treat for the hardcore fans who will spot these little details. I am only just getting started on LiS2 tonight so I guess I’ll be discovering all this for myself very soon. ?

1 hour ago, MarkGrouch said:

I remember thinking it was a pretty solid sequel when I was playing along with every episodes release on PC. Going back through it now on my PS5 and I've gotta say, it's even better than I remember. I think episode 3 is a fucking stand out piece of Life is Strange content that could easily stand on its own ala Captain Spirit. I'd recommend at least getting to episode 3 before you put the game down, it's genuinely well worth it.

Again, it’s great to hear some more positive experiences to balance out the reviews from people who didn’t like it. Your statement about ep. 3 is pretty compelling too so thank you for sharing!

On another note, I had never once heard mention of The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit when reading about Life is Strange 2, so needless to say I was pretty confused and surprised when I popped in the disc and saw this second game appear out of nowhere!

It’s a slight disappointment that it doesn’t have any trophies to go with it, but overall I’d say that’s a very tiny issue when compared to the fact there’s a FREE standalone adventure included with the disc. We all love free stuffs, no?

After a quick Google search I have decided to play it before starting LiS2, as there are supposedly some connections between the stories. ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

That’s cool. I figured that as an anthology, the stories in each new entry to the series would still likely exist in the same universe, but I wasn’t aware that there were actually tiny threads tying them all together like that. That’s pretty neat and a nice little treat for the hardcore fans who will spot these little details. I am only just getting started on LiS2 tonight so I guess I’ll be discovering all this for myself very soon. 1f642.png

Again, it’s great to hear some more positive experiences to balance out the reviews from people who didn’t like it. Your statement about ep. 3 is pretty compelling too so thank you for sharing!

On another note, I had never once heard mention of The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit when reading about Life is Strange 2, so needless to say I was pretty confused and surprised when I popped in the disc and saw this second game appear out of nowhere!

It’s a slight disappointment that it doesn’t have any trophies to go with it, but overall I’d say that’s a very tiny issue when compared to the fact there’s a FREE standalone adventure included with the disc. We all love free stuffs, no?

After a quick Google search I have decided to play it before starting LiS2, as there are supposedly some connections between the stories. 1f642.png

Lol your first little piece is in the first episode if I remember right lol but all of them you gotta be paying attention and.know names and places or you'll blink and miss it I nearly did afew times lol

18 hours ago, MarkGrouch said:

I just got to the 3rd ep and although I'm still not hooked,I can't say the game is as boring as I thought it was when I made this thread. The beginning of the 3rd episode foreshadows some complications that will shake up the story if they pan out, but I've only just started this so i don't know. Looking back to LiS1, I bet I had the same feeling in the first episode or 2, until the game actually hooked me and became one of my favourite stories in a game. I guess I've been playing games that give me an instant dopamine hit for a few years now that I forgot how to give games the chance to tell an impressive story. I'll finish the game before judging it fully.

• Like 1

Not boring. But heavy and unusually sad and depressing, like a slow march towards inevitable failure which felt downright uncomfortable at times. I played one Episode per day otherwise I'd have been an emotional wreck.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find it boring but not enjoyable and nowhere near as good as the first. 

I liked the way the social injustices were tackled (not that it was high on my priorities) but I ended up hating Daniel and just feeling meh about Sean. I get that the devs wanted to portray Daniel as this whiney annyoing little brat to split decisions about him, but for me thats just a complete put off. Didn't enjoy anything he did/way he was.

There was not enough time with the side characters and felt they were forgotten about too quick. Overall pacing was too quick, time jumps were too far apart

I am still looking forward to playing BtS and TC still.

Spoiler

Also mushroom, RIP ?

• 1 month later...
On 13/10/2021 at 6:49 PM, shakie19 said:

Didn't find it boring but not enjoyable and nowhere near as good as the first. 

I liked the way the social injustices were tackled (not that it was high on my priorities) but I ended up hating Daniel and just feeling meh about Sean. I get that the devs wanted to portray Daniel as this whiney annyoing little brat to split decisions about him, but for me thats just a complete put off. Didn't enjoy anything he did/way he was.

There was not enough time with the side characters and felt they were forgotten about too quick. Overall pacing was too quick, time jumps were too far apart

I am still looking forward to playing BtS and TC still.

Reveal hidden contents

Also mushroom, RIP 1f622.png

The only thing that's a bit boring to me is that they seem to be draging the story way too much.

Story is good, but one could really move forward faster if there was a FWD button.

38 minutes ago, Miwelinnn said:

The only thing that's a bit boring to me is that they seem to be draging the story way too much.

Story is good, but one could really move forward faster if there was a FWD button.

That's something I noticed with modern story based games like telltale and this. The stories are good but the runtime drags it out to the point where I get sick of them by episode 3 

Who the hell thought that creating annoying whiny brat would make for a good game. I hate Daniel with a burning passion (exaggerating of course, he'e just a video game character that I don't care for). Damn he'e annoying. Or maybe it's just me, I just despise kids in general. 

Also I can't get over stupid decisions of main characters, time after time I was baffled. Like, let's run away after our father died, and I will tell my brother it's just a roadtrip. Like, what?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This game was so painfully slow.

The lengthy cutscenes and the length of time you spend doing absolutely nothing meant that when I was allowed to do something I'd lost interest in any kind of exploration like I had in the first one and instead just wanted to get from point A to B and be done because I was afraid that doing anything else in between would mean more cutscenes.

When the highlight of the game in terms of interaction was trimming cannabis buds repeatedly that kind of sums up my lack of interest.

I loved the setting especially the woods, didn't mind the characters and I especially liked the separate game Captain Spirit that you are advised to play at the end of episode 1 (in fact this on its own was better than the main game because you do things). I know the first game had a lot of cut scenes, so I was trying to figure out what it is I just don't like about this one and I think it mainly came down to the first game having the rewind mechanic, it added something interactive. Yes that's it. Maybe if the first one didn't have it I'd have been bored just as shitless.