Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

arcanehornet_

3 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

Am I alone in this? I was super excited to get the console, but after playing Astro’s Playroom the “wow” factor faded fast.
I’m just playing PS4 games, like I had been doing for the past several years. There are a few exclusives that I’m interested in, but they’re ludicrously expensive a lot of the time. Couple this with a bland UI, removal of themes and recent activities and we have a sort of underwhelming console.

Don’t get me wrong, I know the console is relatively new and we have to wait for the big titles. But for now, it feels like nearly everything releasing is on PS4 as well. 

Not for me. My expectations have been pretty aligned to what we've received so far. Themes weren't a thing for the first year of PS4's release either, so the PS5 isn't doing any worse than PS4 was in it's first year.

I didn't expect such a bad UI/UX, but like any console, I barely spend any time there so as long as I can launch and get to games quickly, I'm not too bothered.

I suspect in another year, a lot more improvements will come, just like all the PS consoles since the PS3 and it'll be closer to the console people built up in the heads and more developers will have code that takes advantage of more PS5 features, but I suspect they'll find ways to keep selling to user bases for quite some time.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

Don’t get me wrong, I know the console is relatively new and we have to wait for the big titles. But for now, it feels like nearly everything releasing is on PS4 as well. 

Sounds like the beginning of the PS4 era when everything was also released on PS3.  Makes sense since the install base is so much larger on last generation.  These studios need to recoup their massive costs.

I really hope I get a PS5 by Holiday season.  I am not paying scalper prices and have not been in a great rush but now is about the time to cross over, experience the new controller, better load times, graphics, and the games in the versions they were intended for.

So, I’ve been able to make a small dent in my PS4 backlog.  But, it is offset by now I have a PS5 backlog.

7 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

I agree with the lack of games but that will be sorted in the next 12 months and behond but overall ive gotta say....

This console has really impressed me so far. The upgrade from the ps4 to ps5 is staggering (you dont realise until you play your ps4 again).

The load times alone is what makes the ps5 a fine piece of tech.

Needs a couple of creases ironing out which they have started doing but im excited about the next decade of gaming

That is promising to hear.  I find it painful to go back to PS3 games, and have for years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Not at all. The PS5 itself does exactly what I expected, plays PS5 games, enhances PS4 games, and doesn't sound like a jet engine.

The issue your experiencing has nothing to do with the PS5 and everything to do with game publishers not bringing the games. Just about everything I was interested in this year got delayed to 2022. It's been pretty disappointing, but the pandemic seemed to really mess with game development.

Either way the PS5 is great, now its time for publishers to start getting games out.

I think you’re right. The console itself is solid, but the lack of games makes the next generation not that noticeable.

the load times are great though, on PS4 games

• Like 2

Nope. PS4 sucked, PS5 is much better. PS4 games all run properly now and the PS5 optimized games have been given noticeable improvements, like miniscule load times. Oh, and the OS is much better. Oh, and the controller is much better and finally ditched the abomination that was micro USB.

Edited by J_Chmielinski
  • Like 2

Nope, dead quiet, super fast loading, no pop ins or texture loading in ps4 games, lots of great enhancements, no stutters or frame drops, better controller, better audio. Does everything I want it to do. Raytracing is nice in some of the games I've played as well, though I normally go for fps rather than graphical quality.

It's only going to get better as more games come out and it gets even more optimised. games like god of war 2 will look amazing, but god of war 3 in 6 years time will be 10x better still.

I have already got my moneys worth out of my ps5 during the last year, if they come out with a pro that'll be an instant buy as well.
Also SUPER excited for psvr2, which will be an instant buy as I'm looking forward to the huge vr backlog on ps4 that will look even more incredible than it does on the ps5 with a more stable framerate and better quality headset and audio.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

I agree with the lack of games but that will be sorted within the next 12 months and behond but overall ive gotta say....

This console has really impressed me so far. The upgrade from the ps4 to ps5 is astonishing (you dont realise until you play your ps4 again).

The load times alone is what makes the ps5 a fine piece of tech.

It needs a couple of creases ironing out which sony have started doing but im really excited about the next decade of gaming

Yeah, you’re right about this. I guess my expectations game wise were way too high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arcanehornet_ said:

The loading times are amazing though

I mean, this alone is a generational leap. The time it takes to get from the PS5 dash to in-game in Insomniac games is just absurd. Graphically we're going even further into the region of diminishing returns, but it should get better as the gen goes on and the PS4 anchor is finally dropped. I remember people were saying the same thing about the PS4 when it launched, but go ahead and compare what TLoU and TLoU2 looks like and tell me that's a minor difference.

• Like 2

I have enjoyed mine. I got mine 2 weeks after launch and couldn't be happier. The PS5 games I have played have been great. Playing PS4 games are so much better except for the issues that AC Syndicate has. The themes doesn't bother me because what ever game you hover over it gives what seems like a theme for that said game. Overall I am well pleased and know it will get better when more games are releasing. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I really hope I get a PS5 by Holiday season.  I am not paying scalper prices and have not been in a great rush but now is about the time to cross over, experience the new controller, better load times, graphics, and the games in the versions they were intended for

Hope you get one soon dude. You will not be dissapointed. It was march i got mine but felt like xmas. 

• Like 1

PS5 is only disappointing in the same way that PS4 was disappointing in its launch year as well. Things take time. The pandemic really screwed things up and pushed a lot of potentially great games far back. I don't even give a damn that so many games are cross-gen; I'll enjoy playing the PS4 versions then be wowed by the differences in PS5 versions later down the line be that higher frame rates, better textures, ray tracing etc (I played the Intermission DLC of Final Fantasy VII Remake and I looking forward to playing through the main game again with the PS5 enhancements). In fact, the launch window of the PS5 has seen a better lineup than that of any of the previous PS consoles

This is why, unless something is very, very wrong, it is best to evaluate how well a console is doing maybe three years into its life-cycle, then again towards its end. At least that is what I've found.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Martain2 said:

I'll let you know if I ever see one to buy.

?

The impossibility of actually buying a PS5 has got me contemplating to end my ‘gaming career’ with the PS4… *gasp*. No, seriously. But then again, if my PS4 were to die tomorrow and Sony having discontinued the PS4 Pro, I think I’d still buy a PS5 just to play the vast number of PS4 games I’ve left to play. But yeah, no. As far as I’m concerned the PS5 never launched. And while no one can get their hands on one, I doubt game publishers will go full on PS5.

Stay alive, my dear PS4! Hoping for many more happy years together ?

• Like 1