Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

arcanehornet_

On 9/22/2021 at 9:37 PM, PooPooBlast said:

To me the jump from PS3 to ps4 (pro at that) was insane. It did what I expected and more. 

The jump from ps4 pro to ps5 is definitely noticeable and it is exactly what I expected it to be so I wasn't disappointed. The Dualsense especially with astro bot is phenomenal. Nothing like it. The load times are insanely fast. Playing most games now in 60 fps is a game changer. 

Anyway, if we're comparing generational transitions then sure I'll give you that one, that from ps4 to ps5, it isn't that much relatively speaking only. 

I agree, although I truly experienced that wow experience going from ps2 to ps3, much more than the transition to the generation after that.

Although we see how the games have evolved over the years, the end generation ps3 games (tlou, gow etc.) felt like less of a world apart than when I first picked up a ps3 and booted up the original assassin's creed.

I guess it's just the law of diminishing returns that's taking effect,  but I'm honestly not even in a rush to pick up a ps5.

Then again, good for me, or I'd be standing in line outside my local store for the better part of a year ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gildo1993 said:

I'm playing now most games at 60 fps and with better graphics. Plus, I have access to all the ps5 exclusives. Not a disappointment to me at all.

This. Even when you're playing PS4 games they run better, especially if you only had a base PS4. Like Skyrim VR is a night and day improvement between PS4 and PS5 (or rather the PS4 Pro version.) 

2 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

This. Even when you're playing PS4 games they run better, especially if you only had a base PS4. Like Skyrim VR is a night and day improvement between PS4 and PS5 (or rather the PS4 Pro version.) 

but paying The Price of The ps5, just to run The same games as you would play on ps4, sounds dissapointing to me… 

im not in a hurry. Ill wait and buy The ps5, when GTA 6 comes out or another game i HAVE to play on there 

if i wanna play my pa4 games, i have my pro

• Like 1

There’s a reason most games coming out are made for both PS4 and PS5 still and that’s mainly because of how hard it is to get a PS5 still. Making PS5 exclusives would just cancel out a massive market but when they become more available you can guarantee there will be developers that will take full advantage of the PS5 and not try to accommodate the PS4 as well. But the PS5 is like dream technology and I don’t need to wait days to download anything. Can get a full 50gb average game in like an hour now 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TomataEighty9 said:

but paying The Price of The ps5, just to run The same games as you would play on ps4, sounds dissapointing to me… 

im not in a hurry. Ill wait and buy The ps5, when GTA 6 comes out or another game i HAVE to play on there 

That's a reason I point out it's particularly big an upgrade if you only had a base PS4. But even then a lot of PS4 games (Horizon, Ratchet, Days Gone, etc) run at 30 fps on PS4 Pro and 60 on PS5. To say nothing of native PS5 versions like Doom Eternal which truly excel.

If you have a PS4 Pro it's not an urgent upgrade, I would agree. But you'll still be playing them in generally higher quality (less frame drops at the very least). And there's plenty of worthwhile current gen exclusives out there already. If Playstation is your main console I'd say there's really no reason not to upgrade except maybe financial issues.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t say I’m disappointed. I did think there would be more games that showed off it’s hi tech power and that alone has been underwhelming. Horizon forbidden west is the first time I’ve really noticed a big jump in terms of how the game looks. People were raving about ratchet and clank when it came out, but honestly, I couldn’t see that it looked way better than any other game. Horizon is the first one where I’ve felt there is an actual difference.

60fps and 120fps in some games like dirt 5 is good and all that, but again, maybe it’s just my eyes but I don’t really ever experience any great leap in gameplay when upping the frame rate, but can always notice how much worse the world looks when I do up them, so most of the time I play the games at 30fps anyway, so that part is kind of wasted on me at the moment. I bought a special hdmi lead and everything lol

as always, it’s the games that make a console. Demon souls was amazing, but we had to wait until death loop for the next great game. I think 2022 will be better and people buying ps5’s in 2022 will probably be more content than us launch day purchasers. Horizon is fantastic and Elden ring will be dropping through letterbox in a couple of hours so it’s happy times ahead.

Other than that, the most surprising thing to me about getting the ps5 was it’s size. It’s huge. I had to buy a whole new tv stand, entertainment area thing/setup just because the thing wouldn’t fit in previous cubby holes or shelf’s, so I would bear that in mind for anyone buying new this year. It’s gargantuan compared to PS4

• Like 2

On 24/02/2022 at 11:55 PM, TomataEighty9 said:

There aren't many excluives out there, but the ones that have been released so far are all incredible games. Returnal was one of the best games I've played in my life, hands down. And like I said, all games run smoothly with great graphics and @ 60 FPS. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm generally very pleased with the console, but i can't believe they took away the social feed. Watching your friend's trophies, screenshots, comments has been such a nice feature on PS4. It was passive and active at the same time. There was no expection to post anything but just cheering at a buddies new platinum trophy or commenting on a new game was cool. This is a huge missed opportunity especially since they even kind of improved the share button (much smoother and quicker to use) it doesn't make any sense to me. I want to see my friends recent activity as much as i want them to see mine, and i won't send all of my numerous PSN buddies screenshots of my trophies, i think that is kind of intrusive and "in your face" and it doesn't make sense, thats not what this was about. They ruined the social features almost entirely. If they would have taken away the little status what each friend is playing it would be gone completely.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, majo334 said:

I'm generally very pleased with the console, but i can't believe they took away the social feed. Watching your friend's trophies, screenshots, comments has been such a nice feature on PS4. It was passive and active at the same time. There was no expection to post anything but just cheering at a buddies new platinum trophy or commenting on a new game was cool. This is a huge missed opportunity especially since they even kind of improved the share button (much smoother and quicker to use) it doesn't make any sense to me. I want to see my friends recent activity as much as i want them to see mine, and i won't send all of my numerous PSN buddies screenshots of my trophies, i think that is kind of intrusive and "in your face" and it doesn't make sense, thats not what this was about. They ruined the social features almost entirely. If they would have taken away the little status what each friend is playing it would be gone completely.

I agree. It sucks Sony has no way of giving feature feedback as I doubt they read their Twitter. Unless someone else knows a better way?

• 4 weeks later...

Not really, i'm enjoying the PS5, but i do prefer the main menu layout on the PS4 than i do with the PS5. The wow feeling for the controller didn't last long as i used it a lot, but it is my number 1 controller for all consoles, including Xbox. I do wish they had more memory on the PS5 though.

17 minutes ago, Mickeyminime said:

Not really, i'm enjoying the PS5, but i do prefer the main menu layout on the PS4 than i do with the PS5. The wow feeling for the controller didn't last long as i used it a lot, but it is my number 1 controller for all consoles, including Xbox. I do wish they had more memory on the PS5 though.

SSD installation isn't too hard, even if you're a layperson when it comes to any kind of DIY stuff. 1TB SSDs are in the ~100$ range now and they come with heatsinks pre-installed, or if you want to save 10-20$ you can install the heatsink yourself.

Edited by Darling Baphomet

• 2 weeks later...

The PS5 release brought back my motivation to play on consoles again! I played more games during it's first year than I have... ever? But I'm not very hardcore I either guess, lol... I was also fortunate enough not to experience any of the really irritating bugs that some others had to deal with on launch, so it was a smooth transition for me and I have absolutely loved my time with the system so far!

Now I'm just hoping for some Discord integration or something eventually.

I think I've commented on this thread before or something similar however;

I pre-ordered the PS5 at launch and its done everything I wanted it to do. It's a hardware upgrade from the PS4. Games run smoother, games load faster and I don't have to listen to the PS4 scream its tits off. I can and do enjoy playing the PS5 more whether its PS4 games or PS5 games simply because of the above. Oh and the Dualsense, once you're used to it feels a lot better in the hands.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it’s so disappointing how horribly Sony has handled distributing the PS5 compared to how Valve has handled getting the Steam Deck… I just got my 512 GB Steam Deck the other day thanks to them having real reservation spots while the PS5 is still impossible to get thanks to Sony catering to scalpers… 

6 minutes ago, whodeygamer said:

Yes it’s so disappointing how horribly Sony has handled distributing the PS5 compared to how Valve has handled getting the Steam Deck… I just got my 512 GB Steam Deck the other day thanks to them having real reservation spots while the PS5 is still impossible to get thanks to Sony catering to scalpers… 

Well yeah… with a fraction of as many units sold from a single supplier with account verification hurdle, it’s going to have significantly better execution.

Sony is beholden to hundreds of retailers to distribute their hardware. Without significantly reducing the distribution channels and a coordinated verification system, we ended up with what we did.  It’s also not like any other manufacturer at the scale and demand of Sony with the PS5 did any better. 

Everything is great far better than ps4 in my opinion, unfortunately I can't say the same for when you're on the home screen and scrolling or messaging someone and accidentally click on a game whilst you're playing one already and it just instantly puts you on that one, I wish it was the same as ps4 where it asked if you're sure if you want to exit the game. Also one other thing that I don't like but I guess it can't be helped is just the constant crashing on some games that don't seem to run well at all I'm talking about sleeping dogs specifically, but honestly everything with PS5 I'd say is far better than it's predecessor. I also like the fact that we have different versions now rather than different regions too,  as well as still being able to access ps now and all the other old stuff. And ps5 just being better in general and feeling more lively like when it comes to games like first person shooters where you have to actually put a bit of a grip on your r2 and l2 buttons.

Edited by X-BlackBlood
Spelling
  • Like 1

I got mine at launch and couldn't be happier with it. As a few others have mentioned, everything just feels better on the PS5. The DualSense is fantastic as well. It feels great racing in GT7 with the DualSense. Hopefully more games really start to utilise it like we saw in Astro's Playroom.

I love the controller, when the haptic feedback is used well it's great ( GT7, Returnal).

Initially I wasn't blown away by the graphics as I was playing on a 4k monitor as the PS5 isn't powerful enough to run games at native 4k, 60fps. Once I got a new tv and used the TV's resolution upscaling features the graphics looked way better. 

The SSD and load times are great. Hopefully once supply chain issues are resolved and there are more PS5s out in the wild we will see games fully utilising the extra power the SSD can bring. Most games are still being designed with PS4 in mind so I think it'll be a few years until we really see the full potential.

• Like 1