Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

arcanehornet_

To me the jump from PS3 to ps4 (pro at that) was insane. It did what I expected and more. 

The jump from ps4 pro to ps5 is definitely noticeable and it is exactly what I expected it to be so I wasn't disappointed. The Dualsense especially with astro bot is phenomenal. Nothing like it. The load times are insanely fast. Playing most games now in 60 fps is a game changer. 

Anyway, if we're comparing generational transitions then sure I'll give you that one, that from ps4 to ps5, it isn't that much relatively speaking only. 

Edited by PooPooBlast
  • Like 3

I feel the same. But then again, the ps4 release was disappointing to me too. 

I always experience the same problem with new consoles. They are expensive and there's no new games i want to play. With ps5 you can add in the scarcity of consoles and the dicks hoarding consoles for resale into that mix. 

So right now, im in no hurry to get a ps5. Im still playing ps3 at times, and my ps4 i love more than ever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

2014 was a largely boring and lackluster year for games after the PS4 came out, and the PS4 did just fine after so no I'm not worried at all

Launch year’s probably the same for all new consoles. I’ve never got the PS4 at launch, just in 2016 so the leap from Xbox 360 to ps4 was crazy for me. I guess my expectations were high due to this

• Like 1

Seems pretty normal for a new console. Most pieces of hardware take a full year to several years to really get a lot of the wow factor. Most people are using PS5 as a souped-up PS4. But is that really a bad thing? It's great that there's almost universal backwards compatibility, and the PS5 hasn't quite hit a year old yet.

I don't have much of a dog in this fight, because I don't own a PS5. I've never even played with my brother yet on his (we obviously don't live together). But even as an outsider, there are things that disappoint me about the PS5.

-Paltry storage. 667 GB or so of usable storage is really low. It would be low enough for a PS4 in 2020 or 2021, let alone a PS5. And it took Sony months to add putting PS5 games on an HDD, and they just now added expandable SSD (which has strict specifications and a headache).

-Removal of themes, folders, and Internet Browser: Folders are so handy. It always boggles my mind when a company removes them from the UI after adding them on a previous platform. Themes would be nice as well. They spruce up the UI a bit. Plenty of them are free or cheap on the PS4. And there have been reward or promotional ones as well. It's a pretty simple feature that should be put on the PS5. Most people don't give a crap about the internet browser. And yeah, it doesn't matter too much. I have a smartphone and PC, so an internet browser on a game console isn't a huge deal or anything. But I really like the convivence of a browser right on my gaming device so that I don't have to rely on my phone. 
-2021 first-party lineup: Sony had an impressive first-party output in 2020. There were even some cross-gen games like Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Sackboy. That's a nice way to start a console's life. Sony's 2021 line-up has been light in terms of quantity and wow factor. Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart seems to be the only flagship title. Part of this seems to be COVID-19 and other workplace conditions. Gran Turismo 7 and Horizon: Forbidden West were both intended as 2021 releases. They would've added some more oomph to Sony's PS4 and PS5 software in 2021.

-Rest mode issues and other OS problems

-Weird console design that requires a stand no matter which way its oriented. 

-DualSense drifting:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, arcanehornet_ said:

Launch year’s probably the same for all new consoles. I’ve never got the PS4 at launch, just in 2016 so the leap from Xbox 360 to ps4 was crazy for me. I guess my expectations were high due to this

Well, let's just say you'd be tearing your hair apart with Knack at this point in 2014. Oh, and no back compat.

• Like 1

Not so far - certainly I don’t feel like there is a massive wealth of PS5 games out there to fill a backlog, but since I got mine, I’ve had enough games to sustain continual play on the console - and I have plenty of PS4 games in the wings to take up any slack that happens.

Returnal, Deathloop, Astro, Demons Souls and LiS: True Colours have all really impressed me - and even Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart was a visually stunning experience, even if the game itself was a little meh…

…even some of the upgrades like Hades and Operation Tango were still plenty fun on the PS5, and felt new to me as ‘PS5 games’ - even if there are PS4 versions out there.

I’m pretty satisfied so far, and excited for what’s to come.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Na i expect not really getting any real ps5 games for the first 2-3 year. Its why i waited on ps4 back when.

I just wanted to get it so I could give me dad my old ps4 and save on buying xbox ver of thing for the this gen. As hes 1 of them dum fanboy that sticks with whatever brand he currently is on. 

I mean, what were you playing a year after the PS4 came out? Mostly last gen "remasters" and rushed next gen titles, I imagine. Generations start off slowly.

I haven't touched a PS5 yet but it looks fine. PS VR 2, hopefully next year, will be a real wow factor I imagine. Things are about to get good.

Edited by iriihutoR84

Lack of games happened on PS4 too. I think it's what we will see for every console launch now. Which is fine, I'll probably wait now. (Which ps5 was gifted to me anyway.)

As for the console itself, I've had mine need repaired once (almost twice.. but the second time a safe mode reboot fixed my problem but I had to reinstall everything [which included my 2000+ rock band songs.. ugh. lol]).

I'm still really enjoying it with those two negatives though. I've probably put the more hours into it compared to when I first got my PS4. I just feel like the speed increase on everything really is satisfying. 

I am curious to see how well the console can do Unreal Engine 5 though.. considering most PCs using the best card are struggling FPS wise.

I got everything I wanted from the PS5. Better hardware, quieter console and the ability for backwards compatibility. Bought one purely for the hardware upgrade and not the games. Getting a modern console on the release date has always felt like being a beta tester for the first year or so.

5 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Yeah I felt the same way about this thread overall. Feels way too soon to be hating the console really. I mean it's launching about the same way PS4 did lol

I do agree, it’s kinda too soon to criticize. Bit rash on my end, oh well.

I hope we see some good games soon.

• Like 1

Loading times alone made me happy for the PS5 as well as games playing much smoother.  I did the PS5 stack and going down to the PS4 version of the game afterwards felt so bad. 

I don't regret getting it because I know I will have it for when games start releasing in a year or 2.

• Like 3

I don't need to play the games the moment they are released and I don't mind waiting for a few years for discount/patched versions/goty editions etc. I still pre-ordered PS5 since I knew I would still benefit from it playing PS4 games. The loading times are great and we're also getting free upgrades of PS4 games to run/look better on PS5. And the PS5 games under Plus aren't that bad either.

I was lucky I managed to sell my PS4 for way more than I paid for it, and I paid the retail price. I was lucky to get the Gold edition and that alone almost covered the price of the PS5 disc version. Don't regret it for a second.

If i had bought the ps5 at launch, i would have been disappointed, but im gonna wait till there's a slim or pro, and then the worst child diseases should hopefully be fixed, also with the drifting on the controllers. 

The price you pay at launch, being among the first owners, is too high in my opinion. I'll wait, and get the thing cheaper, better and fixed, and with a full catalogue of great games :D and then i wont be disappointed. 

• Like 1

Hmm i do want a PS5. Trouble is i still can't find one for sale. 

Secondly the games still seem a little meh. Maybe im craving originality but remakes and sequels dont draw me in majority of the time. The showcase they had the other day was nice but majority are in a year or two. 

Returning to my first point, for those who have waited in queues or lines, i can't justify time like that to something that in my opinion would still just be a PS4 game playing machine if i got one. Graphics, fps and less loading arent enough for me. 

I say wait. It'll have better UI, all your avatars n trinkets n folders, probably lower price and most importantly a wider variety of good games.

So yes its a dissapointment, but all consoles are like this at the start. I didnt think itd be any different ?

• Like 1