arcanehornet_

Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

147 posts in this topic

the ps5 is the most overrated console I should have waited to get it , I only had fun the first day playing Astro’s Playroom i hadn’t got that same feeling ever since 

Nope.  The PlayStation 5 has been amazing.  My only "disappointments" were storage, which was addressed recently.  And the lack of themes.  

The PlayStation 5 launch has been the best launch since the PlayStation 2.  In my opinion, and I am not sure it can actually be refuted 

The real disappointment to me still are shortages of console itself and white color. 

I'm very happy with it.  If you go back and play games on the PS4 you'll definitely see a difference.

Seems a bit dramatic, a year from now will be a much fairer point to start judging it

really like it tbh. frame rate i always wanted, speedy precise controller designed specifically for 60 fps gaming and precision, good ssd and i/o throughput will continue to make amazing use of it.

And pretty soon amd will release their version of DLSS. where the game is running at 1440p resolution, but ai is used to upscale it to 4k. and with regards to nvidia's dlss in many games the upscale is identical to native 4k, and in some games it looks even better due to the softer nature of ambient lighting etc.  so it will be safe to assume we'll have 4k60 and ray tracing at the same time.

35 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Who paid more than retail for a used PS4?  What am I missing here?

Around the PS5’s launch there was a short period when even PS4s were hard to come by, so used units were quite expensive. I got my PS4 Pro in 2017 and sold it for basically the same amount in November 2020.

Edited by J_Chmielinski

I've been very happy with my PS5.  Worst part was trying to find one for $500.

I don't get to play more than a few hours per week, but have enjoyed the games I've played.

Astrobot, Bugsnax and Miles Morales were all really fun.  Looking forward to Fenyx Rising as well.

48 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Who paid more than retail for a used PS4?  What am I missing here?

I was looking at picking up a 2nd PS4 not too many months ago and there none available at retail and all the 2nd hand markets were well above retail. Haven’t checked in the last couple weeks, but things hadn’t changed up until then at least. 

4 minutes ago, JaneAusten69 said:

I've been very happy with my PS5.  Worst part was trying to find one for $500.

I don't get to play more than a few hours per week, but have enjoyed the games I've played.

Astrobot, Bugsnax and Miles Morales were all really fun.  Looking forward to Fenyx Rising as well.

fenyx rising was ok at first, but by the end of the game i felt like the game had cost me a fair bit of my soul.

The issue is largely updates and storage, we’re no longer in a world where you buy a PS1 and then a PS2 will come along packing six years of software/OS innovations alongside improved hardware.

Now a PS4 is actually a PS4.9 whereas a PS5 is a PS5.1.

Also, on the hardware front the PS4 Pro largely eroded some of the hardware advantage between the two generations, if the PS5 was bringing 4K gaming for the first time then it’d be a bigger deal.

Edited by Tsundokuist

Yea I would say so, mainly due to lack of games for it. Yea the graphics look better and it loads faster. but I still don't think that justifies the $500 price tag at launch just to play supped up PS4 games and only a few exclusives, but that's just me. Up until last week when Sony unlocked the M.2 slot I was playing all my PS4 games on my PS4 Pro to save space (don't mind the load times or the graphics at all) and only playing PS5 games on my PS5, so it was basically going unused most of the year. Now I've got around 1.6Tb of internal storage and 2Tb external for my PS4 backlog so I'm now finally able to put my PS4 Pro to rest and solely play on PS5. Either way I feel like Sony could've easily waited till this year to release the PS5 and it arguably would've been a better launch with what games are available for it now. Chances are this will be the last time I pick a new console up at launch, but I am grateful that I didn't have to wait to get one or even worse, pay some shitty scalper an exorbitant amount of money to play mostly PS4 games on it.   

Well... the controller feels good. And the PS5 is a great machine for playing PS4 games with shorter loading times, which is a non-trivial benefit for sure. The menus in certain games like Borderlands and Genshin feel much better on PS5.

But normally, a new generation unlocks new game experiences. For me, that has not happened yet, and may not happen for quite some time. The few games I'm interested in that live only on PS5 are still pricey. PS4 versions of Horizon and God of War are a kick in the nuts.

It's a great machine for convenience and faster loading, but it's not a great library by any means. The PS4 has become an enormous ball and chain around the ankle of this generation.

My honest opinion is that the PS5 is kind of unnecessary right now and came a bit early. And by that I just mean, I really don’t think we needed it right now. To me it’s still feels like the PS4 is kind of at its peak with a lot of recent games and hadn’t quite hit it’s ceiling yet.

It’s probably going to be a few years at least (especially because of the pandemic) before PS5 games really start taking off, and before there is a noticeable enough “Wow factor” between PS4 and PS5 games to where it becomes a must-own piece of hardware.

I am really not one of these specs/graphics nerd types of gamers, so to me the modern graphics in most PS4 games are already so good that the jump in quality between PS4 & PS5 is hardly even noticeable to me. It’s not like the tech jump from PS3 —> PS4 for example. The jumps in graphics, quality, feedback and features seem a lot smaller than the jumps that happened between previous console generations like PS2 —> PS3 or PS3 —> PS4. It might be a few years before we really start to see that too.

Right now I am not bothered by not having one, and I’m in no rush to upgrade at all. I’ll probably wait another couple of years before I bother buying one.

The PS5 is a massive step up from the PS4 in many ways. What would have made it perfect would be full backwards compatibility but can't have it all!

Only disappointment is the lack of 60 fps upgrades on ps4 games. Hate that Xbox gets all these upgrades and playstation doesn't.

I feel it's a big upgrade from PS4, the dualsense controller is the best one i've used for gaming and that SSD is a huge game changer, it's hard to go back to a console with a HDD, they feel so slow and laggy.

I've had mine since launch and I've got to say that it met my expectations. Granted I didn't have insane expectations. Being able to play in 60fps was the main feature that I wanted. I play probably 50/50 PS4 and PS5 games. PS5 games not having loading times makes a huge difference for me as I've got a wife, two kids and full time work so I feel more immersed and feel that I get more out of my gaming sessions. Playing PS4 games in 60fps is great also. My main gripe is the storage (naturally) however many PS5 games are lowering their install size and that paired with my 2TB external helps alot. I'm yet to upgrade the internal SSD but I also don't really need to yet either. The haptic feedback I find is really great (not ground breaking) and helps with immersion. The adaptive triggers are cool and I'm excited to see what some Devs are going to be able to do with them. Backwards Compatibility is probably my main let down. Being able to play PS4 games made my PS4 Pro obsolete so my eldest son has that now but there's still games that I'd like to play for PS3 and it's easy to see how much that console has aged over time. PS1 and PS2 games would be great to play, I still have those consoles, and a CFW PS3 purely for BC emulation however it would be great to be able to have each generation on the one console for ease of access and being able to use the Dualsense due to how premium it feels compared to older controllers. PS3 emulation is going to be a hurdle due to the cell architecture however I believe that PS2 and PS1 emulation should already be in there.

Let’s be real here there are millions of millions of people that have not touch or seen a ps5 yet! Im one of these people … to be honest this console if we really think about it has not been released yet just being real if you stop and think about! So, to say disappointed I can’t say that … but it’s your opinion and we all have one ;) 

Edited by Titanomachy_75

The launch was disappointing, not the console itself. That's an important distinction to make.

[email protected] person that compared PS4 launch to PS5. Not even remotely the same situation. You didn't see a single thread like this complaining about the PS4 launch.

I personally wouldn't buy a new console this early in its lifecycle. I've never been a person who has any interest in having the 'atest gadget' so I'll wait for prices to drop and creases to be ironed out. Given stock issues and how early we are in the PS5's life, I wouldn't expect most games to be PS5 exclusives and I'd be pissed off if they were. I'm annoyed enough that PS Plus games which are not PS5 exclusives are being released only for PS5  on that service!!

at the moment the only disappointing thing about ps5 for me right now is i still haven't been able to get my hands on one yet.

The same thing can be said for literally any console on its first year really. While there isn't as many games out for it right now, it's still more than we've had during other generations  during first year and they've all been great (ps5 exclusives) which is a promising start.

I don't think many of yall remember but themes, activity feed and a bunch of other features we've grown accustomed to on ps4 came much later. 

Ps5 has been great for me so far especially when it comes to the games and their performance which is the most important aspect. 

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

My honest opinion is that the PS5 is kind of unnecessary right now and came a bit early. And by that I just mean, I really don’t think we needed it right now. To me it’s still feels like the PS4 is kind of at its peak with a lot of recent games and hadn’t quite hit it’s ceiling yet.

I hadn't really thought about it like this but you're right. I remember when I first got my Xbox 360. There were so many current games that I just couldn't play on my (I had a PC before the Xbox 360). Same with the PS4 - so many current games just weren't really working on the 360 and it really felt like it was time to upgrade. We haven't reached that time with the PS4 yet. I can't think of a single game that looks bad on the PS4. 

The PS5 is only about 10 months old. It's waaaaaaaaay too early to say if the console is good or bad yet. New consoles are almost always paperweights outside of a select few games it's first 2+ years.

PS4 didn't have much just 10 months after release either. Outside of multigenerational releases and ports/remasters, it really just had Infamous First Light, Knack, and Assassin's Creed Unity. That's basically it. I may be missing one or two smaller games, but there weren't many at all. Almost everything was still releasing on PS3. Every generation is like this. Because unless someone like Sony gives you the money, it's an incredibly risky business move to spend years and millions of dollars to exclusively make a game for an unproven console with 0 install base when there's a proven one with an install base of tens of millions. It's way safer to make a version for both to test the waters until the new console has been proven and has built up an install base. Most games being released now have been in development for the past 2-4 years at least, long before the PS5 was released. 

If you want to buy a new console with a large library of games already that runs smoothly, then you shouldn't buy one in the first two years, if not more. When you're an early adopter for a console, you're going to have very few "next gen" games to play on it for at least a couple of years, and you'll have to deal with the growing pains of the console as they figure out and refine the UI, add features, and deal with hardware problems.