Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

arcanehornet_

1 hour ago, ExHaseo said:

The PS5 is only about 10 months old. It's waaaaaaaaay too early to say if the console is good or bad yet. New consoles are almost always paperweights outside of a select few games it's first 2+ years.

PS4 didn't have much just 10 months after release either. Outside of multigenerational releases and ports/remasters, it really just had Infamous First Light, Knack, and Assassin's Creed Unity. That's basically it. I may be missing one or two smaller games, but there weren't many at all. Almost everything was still releasing on PS3. Every generation is like this. Because unless someone like Sony gives you the money, it's an incredibly risky business move to spend years and millions of dollars to exclusively make a game for an unproven console with 0 install base when there's a proven one with an install base of tens of millions. It's way safer to make a version for both to test the waters until the new console has been proven and has built up an install base. Most games being released now have been in development for the past 2-4 years at least, long before the PS5 was released. 

If you want to buy a new console with a large library of games already that runs smoothly, then you shouldn't buy one in the first two years, if not more. When you're an early adopter for a console, you're going to have very few "next gen" games to play on it for at least a couple of years, and you'll have to deal with the growing pains of the console as they figure out and refine the UI, add features, and deal with hardware problems.

You just reminded me how bad I want another infamous game. I preferred Second Son to First Light myself, both were good though.

(another Knack would be cool but seems unlikely :()

2 hours ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I hadn't really thought about it like this but you're right. I remember when I first got my Xbox 360. There were so many current games that I just couldn't play on my (I had a PC before the Xbox 360). Same with the PS4 - so many current games just weren't really working on the 360 and it really felt like it was time to upgrade. We haven't reached that time with the PS4 yet. I can't think of a single game that looks bad on the PS4. 

Yeah PS4 games all look really good, and the timing of PS5 felt weird to me from the beginning because it felt like games were actually just hitting their graphical peak on the PS4 over the last few years with releases like God of War, Spider-Man, The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima etc.

I don’t think the PS4 was anywhere near it’s ceiling just yet. They could have milked it for several more years I’m sure, until it started to become obvious that the hardware and graphics were on the verge of becoming dated. This is why I feel like the PS5 has only offered marginal upgrades at this point and why I’ve felt little-to-no hype or interest about the new console generation. 

IMO It will likely be years before we really see developers pushing the envelope and showing us that the PS5 is doing things that the PS4 couldn’t dream of, beyond minor improvements like faster loading times, higher frame rate etc.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Honestly I wouldn’t say that it’s a disappointment. Especially in its 1st year. If this was 5 years down, then we can have this conversation. But I think it’s a bit too early. 

I agree, partly.

I would be disappointed if i bought it day one.

Is it gonna be badass in a year or two when all the games start rolling for real on ps5, oh yes.

A ps4 is like a economy BMW and the ps5 is like a Rolls Royce.  The ps5 upgrades your gaming experience in just about every way.  Not to mention it doesn't heat up the entire room, it is 100% silent, the load time. etc.  A big part of why the roll out and 1st year hasn't been so great is because of the stupid virus nothing more.  If they never made a next generation game for it I'd be perfectly content playing my ps4 games on this upgraded console and wouldn't ever bitch and moan about the price that's how good it is.  PS4 is living in the past the ps5 is the future. Ps3 is like what they use to play back in the caves, right?

• Like 1

Got mine day one and have nothing but positive things to say tbh. While yes next-gen exclusives are a bit few and far between, it makes a lot of sense that they’ve been releasing games on both current and last gen. I recall seeing that they originally wanted the transition period to be shorter than ps3 to ps4 but I imagine the pandemic really threw it all for a loop and now that the supply chain is all kinds of fucked up they’re having to do cross gen releases unless it just isn’t possible in the case of like ratchet and clank. Overall though, I’ve been really enjoying it. In terms of just quality of life it’s such an improvement, barely makes a peep, is fast and snappy, and overall just really solid. Games consistently run and look much better, and games from last gen that had unlocked frame rates or dynamic resolution also look great. Personally I just wish they would have brought out updates a bit faster for things like m.2 expansion and vrr and that last gen games would take a bit more advantage of the ssd to load faster like on series x, but if those are my biggest complaints I’d say it’s been pretty great so far and that the future is looking good. The rest of this year looks pretty promising and early next year looks jam packed. Hopefully it won’t take too long for the supply chain to bounce back so they’ll be readily available :)

I'm not disappointed in the slightest. I didn buy a PS5 because of the games that were already out when I did. I knew I would continue to play my pixel-art PS4 indie games on it. Don't care about themes, don't really think the UI is bad at all (I actually like it a lot). 

Shorter loading times in games where it matters (soon going to play XCom 2, for example, which I hear is has ridiculous loading times on PS4), upgrades for games I love (you can play Warhammer: Vermintide 2 at 60 FPS on PS5, only at 30 FPS on any PS4 model) and feeling like I'm playing in my house and not at the airport due to the noises that came out of my PS4 are enough reasons for me to justify the purchase. Especially when the console really is pretty cheap for what you are getting. 

And the Dual Sense...Man, I just adore this controler. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

A ps4 is like a economy BMW and the ps5 is like a Rolls Royce.  The ps5 upgrades your gaming experience in just about every way.  Not to mention it doesn't heat up the entire room, it is 100% silent, the load time. etc.  A big part of why the roll out and 1st year hasn't been so great is because of the stupid virus nothing more.  If they never made a next generation game for it I'd be perfectly content playing my ps4 games on this upgraded console and wouldn't ever bitch and moan about the price that's how good it is.  PS4 is living in the past the ps5 is the future. Ps3 is like what they use to play back in the caves, right?

Oi my PS3 is still going strong, and its quieter than my PS4 in most cases lol.

• Like 1

Nope not really,

With the way the world is right now I knew full well that many games would be delayed on newer platforms so knew not to have high hopes for tons of new games just yet.
Side note the PS4 enchantments have been amazing, nothing major but just done well.

Edited by fisty123

Honestly, if you're "disappointed" by the PS5, then your expectations may have been too high. The PS5 does exactly what was advertised:

- the DualSense is a truly cool controller tech advancement, that really enhances gameplay immersion, when implemented with TLC (great examples being: Returnal and Deathloop)

- loading and fast travel in native apps is practically instantaneous, PS4 games are also much faster

- back-compat games perform better, some also look better

- PS5 exclusives, such as Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Deathloop, Demon's Souls look and play like next-gen games, utilizing new tech in ways that will only get better in the coming years

- even third party titles such as Doom Eternal look incredible on PS5, playable at 60 FPS with RT

- the UI is super snappy, especially the PSN store

- download speeds are no longer throttled by the HDD/OS

- it's quiet

- PS App integration is much better now

I could go on with more little things I appreciate about it...

But ultimately, whether you're disappointed or not, depends on what you're expectations were and how much the console is worth to you.

Personally, I think it's the best console they've ever made and I couldn't be happier with it - it does everything the PS4 did, but better in every way.

Edited by that_dude_cam_ps
  • Like 2

I am saving some money to buy a PS5 in a few months, so I sure hope it isn’t disappointing. I have never been disappointed with a PS console. The Vita had a sad and disappointing life, but it wasn’t its fault, because the device itself was amazing and it still gave me lots of hours of joy.

About being disappointed with the PS5, you’re not the only one, though. I have a friend, who was also a trophy hunter. He was so excited to get a PS5 and he even sold his PS4 Pro to be able to buy one. Some days ago, he sent me a message like this: “Hi Carol! I sold my PS5 and bought the XBox Series X. The library of games is amazing for a cheap price. Here’s my ID, if you ever come to XBox. Love u.”

I don’t like console wars and I actually love when a game allows me to play with people on other platforms, but the exclusives and the trophies make me stay on PlayStation.

I have an almost 7-year-old vanilla PS4 and, even though it does all the basic things, I know that technology evolves a lot, so I think I will definitely benefit from an upgrade.

I also would like to play a couple of games from the PS Plus collection and all these PS Plus titles that PS5 has been receiving, because it’s kind of a pain to have them in my library, but not be able to play them.

But, to be honest, if you are on PlayStation more because of the exclusives, like me, I think the PS5 will only be truly needed in 2023.

I played Miles Morales and Sackboy on my PS4 and I had a very pleasant experience with both. I am dying to try the Dualsense, though. :)

There are three things I'm currently disappointed with the PS5.

-The lacking of video games that truly push its exotic specs in all the regards. Even the new Ratchet & Clank is able to run on the slowest third party SSDs with the help of the PS5's drive interface. Demon Souls remake looks good but has no RT. GT7 being cross-gen/always online is a lost opportunity.

-The existence of the digital model.

-The inability to play CD music. This may seem like a small thing in the age of streaming but for audiophiles it's a twinge at being denied an avenue for lossless music. As well as the fact that I get a bonus CD soundtrack album with some localised Japanese video games I buy.

The other wrinkle is the lacking of 60Hz patches for certain beloved titles like Gravity Rush 2. I hope the rumoured PS5 Pro will include PS3 backwards compatibility as I believe the Pro tier consoles target the hardcore demography who would find the PS3 emulation to be an attractive package. Even if it means the extra $100-$200 bucks, it will be worth it for physical media preservation of the PS3's library.

All that aside, I think Marc Cerny and his team did a good job with the PlayStation 5. They poured investment into the right components and didn't just blindly throw teraflops at the problem.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1

It really is a disappointment. It doesn't feel like a new console at all, it feels more like the PS4.25 or PS4.5 at best. Loading older games faster is a good thing but it's not exactly a huge WOW factor in my opinion...loading games that were already out and a lot of people already played on the old console. The XMB is horrendous on PS5 too. The lack of exclusive games is an issue that will be fixed in due course.

• Like 1

PS5 is amazing and exceeded all my expectations. It had to actually because this thing is ridiculously expensive in Brazil (4 minimum wage salaries).

Having a blast playing with blazing fast loadings, 60 fps locked games from PS4 backwards compatibility and even games like FIFA have way better gameplay on PS5 including better graphics.

Can't wait to have a 120 Hz gaming monitor to test 120fps games.

I play with my PS4 BASE since 2014 and i live fine i have a TV 4K HDR and the game looks fine like always i buy PS5, after all 2022 games, Horizon II, Elden Ring, God of war ragnarok MY GAME FOR CHANGE PS4 to PS5 but is not necessary thank's God, Gotham Knights etc.. and in 2023 i buy i hope a SLIM or PRO version. And tomorrow Lost Judgment... All game coming out on PS4, not good like playing on PS5? I don't care the only big thing is the 60 fps but if the game run on 30 fps stable i'm ok. I'm an old school console player born with che C64 xD

• Like 2

I find more to dislike than like (expensive games, still the lack of support of PS3 backwards compatibility, especially seeing how Microsoft handles it effortlessly), first party Sony games actually don't blow me away anymore, the form factor, the size of the damned things, the hassle of SSD upgrades, the clumsy UI...

But the DualSense, fast load times and overall 60 FPS gaming felt like a huge relief, so I like it on that front. At least it costs a fraction of a better PC and doesn't make me want to switch to a PC every time.

With regard to the noise issue, my PS4 was totally silent when I first got it. Now, after several years of dust building up, it sounds like a jet engine at times! I can't hear the game over it. I wonder if the PS5 will still be quiet when it has half a decade of dust and fluff built up inside it? 

I'm not disappointed in the console itself, it's the PS5. I do however can't shake the feeling since day one of it's release feel like it's not a very big leap forward, especially when compared to the Xbox Series X. For me personally, the Series X just feels like more of a true next generation console whereas the PS5 doesn't as much. You really get the sense of feeling that Microsoft were in more of the "forward thinking" and "planning for the future" mode than Sony was. 

Things on Series X like, Game Pass, Smart Delivery, FPS Boost, superior backwards compatibility, Quick Resume and it goes on and on, all of this for me when combined make it more of a next generation console. 

The PS5 just feels like it's one big lie and all Sony have done and keep doing is lieing all the time. Lied about believe in generations, charging for game upgrades etc. The PS5 just feels like a rush job, that Sony just tried to make it as quick as they could to get it out there. 

I'm not making this post about advocating for Xbox, just expressing my points of view that's all. I've been with PlayStation since the very beginning and even I have to admit all of this. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 1

I'm really happy I managed to get a PS5 day one. I did not buy a PS4 Pro, so I was still using my original PS4 (day one version). The almost-flawless backwards compatibility and improved load times alone made it worth it for me. Playing first-party games like Astro and Miles Morales, with the ability to jump into the game in like 5 seconds without sitting through company logos, was a revelation. I wish every game could do that. The controller features are really cool too.

Of course there is plenty of room to improve the PS5. The UI features especially, though it's pretty clear to me that it was not quite finished and rushed out the door because of the pandemic. However, it's totally functional right now and I wouldn't call it a disappointment at all.