Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

arcanehornet_

Nope, just like everyone else, the snappy load times and reduced noise pollution from the console make it worth the upgrade.

I was planning on buying a PS4 Pro for these reasons because I gave up looking for a PS5.  This is a huge upgrade from the launch PS4.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JaneAusten69 said:

haha oh no

Difficulty wise, or just a grind?

the challenges are rough, even with a video guide they're just non stop, it's painstaking, but not really difficult, it's more that every single collectible basically is just glowing orbs of shit you use to upgrade stuff, and you need to find maybe 10-15 collectibles just to upgrade one level. and every collectible is behind a puzzle, and as the areas progress you get 2, 3 4 puzzles just for one collectible, the maps are designed in such a way that you have to go up down around over up and down to find the location you want, but the waypoint marker doesn't tell you this, so you have to run the longest furthest way possible.

every little thing was scrutinised to waste your time far beyond what it should normally take. then there's 3 dlcs that expect you to really scrape every last inch of beer outta the barrel just every last micro centremetre of shit lol. honestly finishing it fully, i imagine is like being let out of prison.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 1

This is still early in the PS5 generation. The console itself hasn't yet reached its full potential. It's just like where the PS4 console was back in 2013 - 2014. Nobody regards games like Knack and Killzone Shadow Fall to be all that great anymore. It's all the stuff that came later on, like Bloodborne, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Detroit: Become Human.

My biggest gripe is the fact that gaming has more or less hit its graphical peak. Since around the early - midlife cycle of the PS4 generation, there has been little to no progress on real innovation and more focus on quality of life changes.

Having 4K resolution, constant 60 FPS, and ray tracing are all quality of life additions which enhances the games and makes them more playable. But they're not doing anything groundbreaking.

The LAST big jump was the PS3 generation to the PS4 generation. Every generation before that was a very substantial leap in gameplay quality and visuals. I remember looking at old Bioshock, Dead Space and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots footage back in the day being completely swept off my feet. Those feelings will never come back to me anymore, because I feel we have reached a point where everything is started to blend in, and the changes will be for quality of life additions rather than innovation.

I am disappointed in the fact that this is the first time in my entire life where I've seen a new console be completely out of stock, for extended periods of time. This is attributed to the chip shortage this world is suffering from right now, but still, it's appalling to see the PS5 console out of stock this often. Unless you want to pay a buttload of money on Amazon or eBay, which if you're willing to afford that, you might as well build yourself a gaming PC desktop.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:
22 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

My biggest gripe is the fact that gaming has more or less hit its graphical peak. Since around the early - midlife cycle of the PS4 generation, there has been little to no progress on real innovation and more focus on quality of life changes.

This is why i think t he ps5 is so great.  the jump in graphics is probably the least noticeable of any console generation to me anyway, however, it just enough and you really don't care because the ps5 is a system that just does everything else great.   I seriously don't even want to play game on my ps4 anymore.  The stupid menu lag, the noise, the loading times.   Crazy because just 12 months ago i thought the ps4 was the shit. Ps4 was a great leap in graphics over the ps3 though and the ps5 is just a giant leap for everything else. Graphically it looks better though just not by leaps and bounds.  something tells me though that you are right we have yet to even uncover the full potential.  To be honest how much more of a jump graphically are we expecting?  I mean how much better can it even get?  At some point we're going to hit a ceiling i'd think.

• Like 1

Came from Base PS4 to PS5 personally... Shit, I won't lie, I even bought mine off a Scalper (granted only $150 extra, so $900 instead of the usual $1500 they go for... Retail is $750) and I don't regret it AT ALL, just having PS4 Games actually RUN GOOD is worth it alone. Also my PS4 had a Dead CMOS I'm pretty sure, leading to being booted out of my Account everytime I'd first Boot a Game EVERY TIME I WANTED TO PLAY so yeah.

UI and everything else is honestly better than PS4 imo and Themes? Eh, technically every game has its own Theme since it's what fills the screen when highlighting a game, sort of better imo ?

I don't know about disappointment. It's still in it's adolescence as far as console ages are measured. Lots of potential, just not a lot of pull at the moment. Side from some questionable XMB (is it even called that on PS5?) design choices, the system itself seems impressive enough. It's just matter of software at this point. With the PS3 and 4, I saw stuff by the point we're at now that made me really want to upgrade. So far, I've seen stuff that's really interesting but not interesting enough to pull me into attempting to buy one.

This holiday season into next Spring will be the the 'sun's out, gun's out' period.

Played my PS3 far more heavily in the first 2 years of PS4's lifespan than I did the PS4. At least I'm using my new machine this time, even if it is mostly for PS4 games, some of which are coming with free PS5 upgrades anyway.

The disappointment is possibly just you, with misguided expectations.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2021 at 8:55 PM, Martain2 said:

I'll let you know if I ever see one to buy.

To be honest the only reason I'm planning on getting a PS5 (for the first few years at least) is to catch up on the last 5 years of PS4 games I've not played due to the noisy PS4 fan.

Not a PS5 owner, but I feel you haha. I can't count the amount of times I tried out the Demo for a game I was interested in, but had to turn it off after a couple of minutes because the fan was so obnoxiously loud lmao (Looking at you Tales of Arise). I even prefer playing on my Ps3 at the moment, since even though the fan there is constantly loud, it's at least not jet-engine kind of loud :D 

• Like 2

outside of the better controller, everything about it is a disappointment. 

The shape (looks like a router), finish (it looks as plastic as its made),  size (its so big it doesnt fit in my entertainment unit), UI (busted trophy lists, terrible quick access menu, no themes) ,how they've handled this generations upgrades and trophy lists (multiple unnecessary trophy stacks, complicated upgrade paths and lack of previous gen support).

Edited by Dan-lives-here

On 9/26/2021 at 0:24 PM, Suparichie123 said:

Not a PS5 owner, but I feel you haha. I can't count the amount of times I tried out the Demo for a game I was interested in, but had to turn it off after a couple of minutes because the fan was so obnoxiously loud lmao (Looking at you Tales of Arise). I even prefer playing on my Ps3 at the moment, since even though the fan there is constantly loud, it's at least not jet-engine kind of loud :D 

You sound just like me with both the demo and PS3 comments.

Like you the PS3 fan bothers me less as it is at least consistent with its volume and doesnt fluctuate a lot on the one game.

• Like 1

not disappointed. I dont play MANY ps4 games on it, i think i played some MH: Iceborne and did plat the Mass Effect Trilogy on it, but everything else has been the ps5 version of a game (where applicable such as Yakuza 7)

as for eventually playing my backlog ps4 games on it, once i get my WD SSD i will..

But in the first year ive picked up a lot of ps5 games, whether they are on other consoles or not it makes the argument "ps5 doesn't have any games" utterly pointless... as it does and you're probably picky... 

So i have for ps5... 

Astros Playroom, Demons Souls, Bugsnax, Black Ops Cold War(SOLD), Outriders (SOLD), DMC 5 Special Edition, The Nioh Collection, AC Valhalla, Returnal, Spiderman Remastered, Spiderman Miles Morales, immortals Fenyx Rising, Watch Dogs Legion, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen, Mortal Shell, Godfall, Resident Evil Village, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart,  Guilty Gear -Strive-, Scarlet Nexus, Hades, Tales of Arise, Deathloop, Judgment, Lost Judgment, 

PS4 TO PS5 games i have with free upgrades etc: FF7 Remake, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Control,  ManEater, Subnautica, Crash 4: Its About Time, Borderlands 3, Doom Eternal

Lastly, Games still coming out in 2021 for ps5 i am getting and 1 i might:

Alan Wake Remastered, Nickelodeon All Star Brawl, Far Cry 6, Back 4 Blood, Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Edition, CoD: Vanguard, 

if its in stores: Kena Bridge of Spirits physical, 

1 i may get at a price drop: NHL 22

needless to say, for a first year there are a ton of games out for it. 

On 23/09/2021 at 10:34 AM, JaneAusten69 said:

haha oh no

Difficulty wise, or just a grind?

i was going to start it at launch (game day), never did. Then Finally was going to when a staff member at my local shop i know, basically told me to save myself and trash it or bring it in. lol. I took her word for it. I will not play it. Apparently it tries to be too many games in one while failing to be anything original. 

Apparently the collectables and combat after a bit are super tedious.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:00 PM, djb5f said:

Who paid more than retail for a used PS4?  What am I missing here?

The very next sentence explains it. "I was lucky to get the Gold edition". For some reason, there were many buyers interested in that edition and were willing to pay that kind of money. The Gold edition isn't even that rare. A friend of mine sold one of those Blue limited editions of PS4 (don't remember exactly what exact edition it was) for way over the asking price of PS5, meaning for way more than $500.

After seeing the new XBOX, for the first time in my life I consider buying that instead of a PS. Wanna know what was convincing?

GTA4 in 60 FPS and it can upgrade older titles to 4K and HDR. PS can't compete with that imo...

All PS got is fast loading times and some exclusives... wow.