Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

arcanehornet_

7 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

it can upgrade older titles to 4K and HDR

Doesn't Xbox rely on developers to make their titles Xbox One X Enhanced (which can be 4K no HDR, HDR no 4K, or 4K and HDR), just like PlayStation relies on developers to publish 4K/HDR PS5 patches for their games? Meaning it's not every older title that can be upgraded to 4K and HDR?

14 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Doesn't Xbox rely on developers to make their titles Xbox One X Enhanced (which can be 4K no HDR, HDR no 4K, or 4K and HDR), just like PlayStation relies on developers to publish 4K/HDR PS5 patches for their games? Meaning it's not every older title that can be upgraded to 4K and HDR?

I wouldn't know, haha, I don't really go deep into that stuff. I don't think every title but I assume they would do their best to do that with the most popular titles, wherever it's possible. I just love the backwards compatibility on XBOX and to see they upgrade it as well, it's such a great support. I miss that from Playstation and PS Now is just not cutting it for me... :( 

Edited by LoveInHell

I see a lot of people say this is just the first year of the console and I get it but if the rumors are true that Sony is only planning on the PS5 having a 5 year life cycle then I think your disappointment can be a little justified. I have been fine with it so far but the only thing I am disappointed with is most games only have higher resolutions and higher fps. Ray tracing rarely gets used and I don't even have a monitor that can do better than 1080p. So I feel like I am mostly just getting ssd and higher frame rates, and I've played console all my life so lower frame rates don't even bother me. And I really am not complaining. I am having fun and enjoying myself. I like the load times and I like the better visuals. 

• Like 2

Not at all. I would say it has met my expectations, perhaps even exceeded them in some ways. Couldn't be happier with it to be honest. There's still room for improvement in some areas, and some features that still need to get implemented, but I'm sure in time we'll see them being added. The PS4 I bought on launch day was not the same PS4 I was using 2 years later, it was completely different after constant updates and refinements. PS5 will be no different. Things will get added and removed, tweaked and improved, but overall it's a fantastic piece of kit and I've been enjoying the hell out of it since launch day. 

• Like 1

Not to me. Loved all the launch games. It was much better than the PS4 launch where we only had Cod Ghosts and Killzone: Generic Fall.

Demon Souls, Astro's Playroom (which was the best pack in game since wii sports), Spider Man, Sackboy, Bugsnaxx, and The Pathless were all great launch games that kept me busy for the winter season. Plus the load times and 60fps frame rate is a huge upgrade from PS4. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2021 at 8:29 AM, psycho_clank314 said:

Not to me. Loved all the launch games. It was much better than the PS4 launch where we only had Cod Ghosts and Killzone: Generic Fall.

Demon Souls, Astro's Playroom (which was the best pack in game since wii sports), Spider Man, Sackboy, Bugsnaxx, and The Pathless were all great launch games that kept me busy for the winter season. Plus the load times and 60fps frame rate is a huge upgrade from PS4. 

This entirely. I remember when PS4 came out. It felt like there were no good games to play, at all. I'm sure there were some gems out there I just didn't know about but it felt like a desert. For me the PS5 is a gamechanger for the same reasons you mentioned - load times and 60fps. It's hard to go back to PS4 after this. So it's hard to call it a disappointment as such

A bit, I was hoping 4k60 would be the standart going forward.

Since 4k TVs are mainstream now, I don't think it's that unreasonable (even if unrealistic) to expect 60fps on native resolution.

Still, it's great there's at least the option to choose between fidelity and fps. (In most cases?)

Edited by Bratinov

On 10/7/2021 at 11:29 PM, psycho_clank314 said:

Oh wow I remember that time, COD ghosts came out on ps3,ps4,360 and Xb1 at the same time. Lobbies where hard to find and the player count was higher on Black ops 2 for PS3/360. Never finished Killzone, story was just bleh. But we had Ass Creed Black Flag and Need for Speed Rivals, I didn't mind these.

On 05/10/2021 at 2:32 AM, DaivRules said:

No fps boost and auto hdr can be enabled on a hardware level. Devs don't need to be involved

1 hour ago, alwaystired1987 said:

auto hdr

Does “auto hdr” count as Xbox One X Enhanced? Because the list on the MS page looked like it was pretty specific which titles qualified and definitely said developers were involved. Also, how does “auto hdr” compare to actual HDR in visual quality?

On 10/5/2021 at 1:32 AM, DaivRules said:

I think you're right on this. However I'm not sure about 360 titles, Most of these I've tried look amazing tbh.

Absolutely not disappointed with the PS5. Owning it for a week now and just loving it. It's super fast in everything you do, Dualsense is super fine, 3D audio is fantastic. I also really like the design. I'm only sorry for my PS4, which served me very well since summer 2014. It will also be a bit hard to go back to Vita and PS3 now since you know, you get used to the speed and graphics of current gen very fast. 

On 10/27/2021 at 9:47 PM, Solid-Fisch said:

Absolutely not disappointed with the PS5. Owning it for a week now and just loving it. It's super fast in everything you do, Dualsense is super fine, 3D audio is fantastic. I also really like the design. I'm only sorry for my PS4, which served me very well since summer 2014. It will also be a bit hard to go back to Vita and PS3 now since you know, you get used to the speed and graphics of current gen very fast. 

Super easy going back to both, In fact I just bought 2 more ps3's. The One Piece Lim edition and FF13 Lim edition. You'll see, it's easy.

As much as I have little love for the ps5 due to it being extremely ugly and generally makes me want to vomit, it is the best ps4 money can buy at the moment. Not disappointed at the ugliness because we knew it looked like a urinal from a George Michael video that couldn't lie on it's back without an extra appendage in the rear. Installing Ps4 games on the extra nvme I installed that didn't meet the criteria (Sony expect their games to need that speed) unlike Digital Foundry that waited for 6 months before trying this because they need to be paid. It is a vast improvement over USB HDD and I recommend doing this if you can get the extra space at a decent price.

Demon Souls is a done deal really for PS5 games. With all my negativity about the looks of the console it's my most used console for the last year.

YES! massive disappointment. Hard crashed twice, soft crashed multiple times. Rest mode is shit and doesn’t remember my settings. WiFi modem thing is weak as hell. I’ve cleaned my console bi-monthly and it’s loud as fuck. I can hear the coil and fans giving it large. I loved Astro Bot but that’s a game not hardware lol. There’s other things I don’t like about the ps5 too.. 

I need to change my setup again so I can play PS3, I had more fun on PS3 than I did when the PS5 was released (I got mine a few months after, damn bots)

I love how people keep complaining about the jet engine fan in the ps4. If your ps4 fan is running that fast then it's full of dust and can't get enough air flow. It's a fairly simple job to open and clean the fan and power pack. All you need is a can of compressed air and an hour or 2. After you clean it the fan will run nice and quiet

• Like 2

Am I the only one that considers Dualsense one of the most enjoyable parts of PS5? 

Maybe it's just my monke brain "haha nice rumble goes brrr". 

Seriously, I have picked versions of games on PS5 instead of PS4 just for the haptics. Sure fast load times are nice, sure fps boost is nice, but fps for example could be unlocked in patches (like Ratchet&Clank or recently Vampyr). 

Maybe I am just easily amused, but I think developers should embrace dualsense more. I love creative use of the controller. Hearing the wind in Ghost of Tsushima, feeling and hearing snow in Death Stranding, feeling every raindrop in Sackboy. I heard that people that play games focused on more competitive side get bored of haptics fast, but for single player, narrative/immersion focused games dualsense can do wonders. 

Just wondering if I am alone in this opinion? People often write how it was "meh" for them and turned it off immediately

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Got mine 2 weeks ago and I'm pretty happy with it. The overall snapiness of the system over the PS4 is a big improvement (the store took ages to load on my PS4 Slim), and the higher framerate on lots of games is a big improvement too!

Even the UI, I like it a lot, actually prefer it over my Series X, which I find too clutered for my tastes.