Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

arcanehornet_

4 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

And if you were to release a console from 20 years ago 20 years earlier, people would have the same reaction.....

I don't believe that for a second. If the PS2 came out in the 80's instead of the 00's, those people would have their minds blown by the technology and you're crazy if you believe otherwise. People 20 years ago were much more open and accepting than they are today. Now, people take new tech for granted and most of the great things we have today aren't even appreciated. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

People 20 years ago were much more open and accepting than they are today.

I get what you’re going for but 20 years ago was in 2001/2002, after the dot com implosion, and people got a little jaded on all the promises of big tech that ended up being scams for suckers money. Throw in the recession that was going on and the 9/11 attacks and it was not quite a rosy, optimistic time where people were open and accepting of any new computer technology that was coming out. You could make the case about 25 years ago though. 

• Like 1

Backward compatibility is the winner here.

At 2015 i hade to choose between buying a new ps3 (my 2009 ps3 died) or a ps4. For months i didn't play anything because i couldn't decide, only to end up buying both by the end of 2015.

Now, that my six years old ps4 can't play a new title without the fans go crazy, i'm relieved i had to spend money only on a new console.

The fast loading times are great too. Only minus, the inability to back up your saves without paying a subscription

• Like 1

There's a lack of discussion about the onboard SSD that can potentially crap out on you (power outage, from a system crash, etc.) and you'll have absolutely NO option to repair it outside of sending it to Sony and losing absolutely anything you had saved on it that wasn't backed up to cloud storage.

That, along with how small it is (667gb of usable storage is pathetic) are the main reasons I don't want to pick up a PS5 until main storage capacity improves or a Pro system is announced. NVME SSD's are still too expensive in the 2tb range and I'd rather have more than 2tb considering the size of my game library.

Edited by SegaJAM
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

Maybe because we live in a world now where people crave constant and instant gratification and expectations are unrealistically high. If this console was released 20 years ago, people would be losing their minds about how good it is. Only in this day and age can such a powerful console such as the PS5 can be perceived as 'disappointing'. What exactly were you expecting? For it to reveal the secrets of the universe? Dump a nugget of gold on your floor every time you turn it on? You don't like the UI and the themes so therefore it's bad? Give me a break...

People would have loved a lot of things 20 years ago that we have now, that doesn't have any relevance to how good those things are right now

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

I don't believe that for a second. If the PS2 came out in the 80's instead of the 00's, those people would have their minds blown by the technology and you're crazy if you believe otherwise. 

That's actually exactly what I was saying, IDK how you read it any differently. I'm just saying, that's an invalid argument. I'm sure if you introduced tech that's going to be the big thing in 20 years from now...today, people would also probably be equally impressed. People ARE allowed to be critical of a systems shortcomings, FYI.

• Like 2

Just for the insanely fast loading time and graphics, it's worth it. And within the 1st year of the console, in a Covid environment, we still had Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Ratchet and more importantly for me The Returnal. These 4 games alone made it worthy to my eyes. Of course, it's harder to see it that way if you buy the console from one of the scalper S.o.B for 800$ or more. Anyway with FF16, Horizon 2, GoW 2, Venom coming in a near future, it's definitely not a let down. On the other hand, I bought the XSX Halo edition, I must have played less than 10 hours before I realized there is no MS exclusive games I'm interested in (Halo Infinite was a major disappointment, Gears died after the first trilogy just like Dom) while Forza runs better on my PC, and I dont even care about racing games... So being given it's been just a year and considering the unique context we live in now, I think the PS5 did fairly good and more importantly, Sony already announced being working on some great exclusive games and PSVR2.

Edited by Spike_Hostile17
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, kinnyman said:

Astro's playroom and Plague Tale. 

Ah fair enough. I wouldn't say those two are indicative of what the generational leap is, even for the weakened benchmark of what early-gen graphics are like. Demon Souls Remake used a weaker version of the PS5 prototype for its baseline and it looks way better than Astro's freeware and last-gen PS5 patched, Plague's Tale. Next to that, R&C Rift Apart is currently the best looking game on PS5.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eraezr said:

Ah fair enough. I wouldn't say those two are indicative of what the generational leap is, even for the weakened benchmark of what early-gen graphics are like. Demon Souls Remake used a weaker version of the PS5 prototype for its baseline and it looks way better than Astro's freeware and last-gen PS5 patched, Plague's Tale. Next to that, R&C Rift Apart is currently the best looking game on PS5.

The R&C game was one I was looking to get last black Friday here.  The price didn't come down that much so decided to wait.  I do agree with you though.  That is the best looking PS5 game I've seen. 

On 9/22/2021 at 3:14 PM, J_Chmielinski said:

Nope. PS4 sucked, PS5 is much better. PS4 games all run properly now and the PS5 optimized games have been given noticeable improvements, like miniscule load times. Oh, and the OS is much better. Oh, and the controller is much better and finally ditched the abomination that was micro USB.

what does it use to charge? also are the controllers the size of xbox controllers? ive always went the sony route because their controllers feel better but in all the images it jus tlooks like a xbox ripoff now

Didn’t want to start a new thread so sorry for gatecrashing but am I right in thinking there is no way to remove the limit of displayed installed games on the Home Screen of PS5 yet as there is on PS4? 

I like to have all my installed games on display and it seems to be limited to only 10 with the rest hiding in the game library. I am unable to find the option to expand the display.

Thanks 

16 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

That's actually exactly what I was saying, IDK how you read it any differently. I'm just saying, that's an invalid argument. I'm sure if you introduced tech that's going to be the big thing in 20 years from now...today, people would also probably be equally impressed. People ARE allowed to be critical of a systems shortcomings, FYI.

Because your wording is terrible and still I don't agree. Yeah, there will probably be a lot of people impressed but equally, there will definitely be a huge chunk of people not impressed and highly critical of it as is with anything happening today. We are completely divided on everything, there is nothing that can occur or be released where almost everybody agrees with it. There was a time where that was true, that time is long gone. Everybody playing the critic rather than realizing and appreciating the great things we have and the time we're living in. All these great things wasted on the worst generation of people to ever walk this earth where nothing can ever be good enough. That's all I'm saying. You're allowed to have your opinion otherwise, never said nor implied that you weren't, but there's a big difference between being critical of true shortcomings and nitpicking and from my perspective, most people who are 'critical' tend to be the biggest nitpickers and they consider these nitpickings as valid and significant criticism to the point where they feel they need to make a post about it online whereas I don't. 

6 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

what does it use to charge? also are the controllers the size of xbox controllers? ive always went the sony route because their controllers feel better but in all the images it jus tlooks like a xbox ripoff now

Ripoff? Sure, if you only look at the outline the the Dual Sense in pictures. 

The hardware and features of the Dual Sense aren't ripping off anything from the xbox controller

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

One little dissapointment i have thought of on the ps5 is there arnt as many games that have trophy tracking and help videos as i thought.

Still love it tho. I played my ps4 earlier and either the ps4 as suddenly gone shite or im just used to the new tech

I gotta assume the help videos won't be supported much outside of first party games, and even then, only for the first few years. The whole picture in picture stuff seemed gimmicky to me anyway. 

I was excited for the trophy tracking, since most games don't implement it in-game, but I guess it isn't a mandatory feature? I wouldn't know since I still don't have a PS5.

It is way too early to be saying anything about 'PS5 disappointment'.

The PS3 was hugely slow when it was first released, but finished strong late in it's life. The PS4 started off like the PS5 where everything seemed like it was either a cross-platform release (PS3/Vita/PS4) or was a PS4 remaster of a PS3 game. This lasted for a couple of years before the REAL games started to take shape and were eventually released.

PS5 is going to be very successful long term. The only disappointment people should have with the system is the amount they paid for it (and that's more on the owner themselves for overpaying for it in the first place) or being impatient assuming big titles were going to be constant from the launch (which in any generation is never truly the case - 'looks at the N64 launch'...)

Edited by agorazUHD
typos
  • Like 1

No. Because in the end it all comes down to games. Changing backgrounds, its a small thing, its sort of you change it and never think of it. Gaming is what people tend to do. Game releases for any new console first year are always short. Ps5, Switch, Xbox all kind of are what they are. Wait till after 2022.

i have ps5 since launch, switch since launch, series x since boxing day 2021. It doesn't bother me.

Ps5 has a simple UI. The ONLY thing id change is folder opions or backgrounds since people whine about them, or the ability to organize the top toolbar if you want to call it that. But normally i play one game as at a time so even if i have 15 installed, doesnt bother me. 

PS5 isn't a disappointment. Not for me anyway 

33 minutes ago, ACowboy848 said:

Are you guys sure you have a PS5?

The PS5 is AWESOME play a game on the PS4 then play that same game on the PS5 if you don't see it then I don't know.

most ps4 games do gain increase in quality ive noticed on ps5.  Monster Hunter Iceborne for example. 

people just like to bitch lol

I love the system. I got it in February but played my brother's since launch. he has a oled 4k hdr TV that makes it pops. I bought  Is APS 4A launch by but was disappointed and switched over to pc all generation. so I played god of war, horizon and ratchet and clank ps4 all in last year plus the ps collection as well

When I got PS5, I played Astros and replayed Spiderman Miles Morales and then went back to playing PS4 games to clear up my backlog.

I then thought this too, that the "wow" factor had run out, but then I played a game on my PS4 and then I saw the difference. The PS5 running most games at 60fps and some even 120fps is an astonishing upgrade compared to PS4s 30fps on a lot of the games.

For example, Ghost of Tsushima plays so much better on the PS5, 60fps with haptic feedback, etc. Miles Morales plays so incredibly smooth and the adaptive triggers add something (if not much) to the swinging.

FF7 Remake PS5 runs at 60fps which makes it more enjoyable for me, not sure why.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition looks great and runs at a solid 60fps.

But then I played some on my PS4 to see the difference and oh boy was there a difference.

My main disappointment is the lack of big PS5 exclusives. We've had Ratchet and Clank, Demons Souls (im not into souls games), and Returnal and there's a few others. Horizon is also coming to PS4 so it's not really a true PS5 exclusive. 

One other small issue is themes. I always loved the themes on PS4, I always used the RDR2 one and they added so much to the UI in my opinion. Dunno why they removed it for PS5.

So at the moment, you would be fine with just a PS4 Pro, but I'd say in like a year or two is when all the big PS5 based exclusives will come out, then that's when most would pick it up.

Edited by TwiggyMunson
Adding some extras and fixing grammar.
  • Like 2

The biggest disappointment is you can't even buy one at all after one year released

As for the console itself, it's great, but as always with the new generations, the first years of games are lacklustre, so let's hope wait few more years to see how it goes.

• Like 1