Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

arcanehornet_

On 1/9/2022 at 2:31 PM, TJ_Solo said:

Ripoff? Sure, if you only look at the outline the the Dual Sense in pictures. 

The hardware and features of the Dual Sense aren't ripping off anything from the xbox controller

thats why before i said it looks like a ripoff, i asked what does it looks like in person. because i clearly dont know. and instead of giving me a answer you gave me a opinion that i already knew

Edited by melodicmizery

The single biggest disappointment this gen is the lack of adequate availability for everyone to have a chance to buy their systems.

The PS5 is such a great update from previous console generations. I love how snappy it is and quick loading times are now. The dualsense triggers are also another really neat feature I thought would get old quickly but absolutely love some of the implementations developers have done to make it more immersive (Deathloop).

• Like 1

I really like that Astro game that comes with the PS5.   Played it all day yesterday.  

But anyone who claims that they can feel gusting winds and flowing water from the DualSense controller is an abject moron.

Jesus Christ people, it's just different degrees of vibrations.   lol.  I think I might turn it off. 

• Like 2

Well maybe it's just me but I never buy a console when its released, I always wait a few years for the library to grow and to finish the games I still have, atm the PS5 has only 2 games that really interest me and I'm not planning on getting a new hardware just to play older games that my ps4 does a great job at playing and the seconds it cuts from loading screens isn't really that big deal to me, but from what I've seen of the console it's pretty cool and snappy and everything rolls much more smooth and in that regard is miles ahead of the ps4, I'll definitively get one in the future when more RPGs becomes available.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say disappointed, but there are definitely some huge steps backwards compared to the PS4. The increased performance in games is great and truly noticeable, but the UX itself is objectively worse. They had 6-7 years to refine the PS4 menu system, and then they appear to have thrown away all those lessons in favor of news bulletins for games I haven't played in years.

It's definitely not worth $1000 or whatever scalpers charge for them nowadays.

• Like 1

I wouldnt say disappointed in the actual console, it is better than the PS4 Pro in every aspect, especially since they have fixed the vertical trophy lists.

I would use a different angle personally and get rid of the disappointment angle but instead say that i believe the console wasnt required to buy for the first year of its life, while there are graphical improvements the sky high price from shortages, scalpers and lack of actual games that are PS5 only  people could have not had one and not really be missing anything.

Source: Have both digital and disc PS5s since launch

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ac3dUd3- said:

I wouldnt say disappointed in the actual console, it is better than the PS4 Pro in every aspect, especially since they have fixed the vertical trophy lists.

I would use a different angle personally and get rid of the disappointment angle but instead say that i believe the console wasnt required to buy for the first year of its life, while there are graphical improvements the sky high price from shortages, scalpers and lack of actual games that are PS5 only  people could have not had one and not really be missing anything.

Source: Have both digital and disc PS5s since launch

Pretty much sums up what I think about it.

• Like 2

I bought it at launch with the expectation that I would get a PS4 Pro Max the first 2-3 years and proper PS5 games afterwards. So far, so good. It even surpassed my expectation in fact, because we got some solid PS5 exclusives already.

You can't and shouldn't expect the first year to be the best year of a new console. It has never been that way. If it wasn't for backwards compatibility, I would have waited those 2-3 years to buy a PS5.

Edited by Asimb0mb
  • Like 1

I absolutely LOVE my PS5.

I've had a PS4 since launch so going from that (loud fans, slow UI etc) to the PS5 was incredible. The graphics are a lot better and the controller is a lot more comfortable to hold than the DS4. Only had my PS5 for 3 months and already it's been worth every penny I paid for it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Surprisingly, no, not at all for me. No disappointment. I truly expected a repeat of my lukewarm reception of the PS3. Nope! Instead, I largely relish my 5 thus far. The SSD makes a hell of a difference, just like on PC; and against my expectation, I quite like the heft and feel of the DualSense cradled in my hands. I miss a couple of PS4 features, but not deeply. All I'd voice is not to give in to scummy scalpers. I followed three popular Twitter tracker accounts for ~3 weeks until I successfully bagged my console through GameStop's website. Zero regret - the PS5 pleases me greatly. :>

Only major feature I'm still waiting on is a proper media player that's updated from the PS4. I download a lot of movies, but the PS4 media players biggest weakness is that it doesn't support a ton of audio codecs or x265 encoding. So with the PS5's 4K capabilities, I was hoping it'd get a media player capable of that. The PS5 can play movies from USB, but it's rudimentary as hell and a lot of my files don't work. It's literally the only reason my PS4 Pro is still hooked up, I need it for the media player...I'd like to finally retire her. 

I'm conflicted when it comes to the PS5. It's an amazing piece of tech, and playing PS4 games on it has been a real treat. I was never able to get a PS4 Pro, so in that regard I'm very happy with it. As a next-gen console though, I'd say the whole situation has been somewhat disappointing. Obviously the parts shortages and scalpers have put a huge stink on the fun, and because of all of that, Sony are most likely going to hold off on releasing a lot of system seller PS5-only titles. That also means that we'll probably get less games that are designed specifically with the NVMe SSD in mind, because Sony are going to want to build PS4 versions of those games as well. People say that the first year of a new console is always kind of weak and that we just need to wait, but this time around it's quite different due to the parts shortages. It'll be interesting to see where the system is at in a few years.

Having said that, I'm sincerely happy that PS4 owners will get to play the both the new Horizon & God of War titles, but sooner or later the PS5 will need to start getting it's own games. Sony says the cross-gen stuff will stop before 2023, but they also originally said that God of War Ragnarok was PS5-only, so for a while now I've been taking the "I'll believe it when I see it" approach with them.

I dunno what to say, I'm pretty happy with mine. I really appreciate the much faster loading times, no noise at all and the dualsense is pretty cool (nonetheless, I suspect that the adaptive triggers will end in oblivion, same as the touchpad and the sixasis). It's true that right now, there is no exclusive catalog, but with the fucking COVID in the middle, the problem with the stock etc... is understandable. Let's give some time, and see how it ends, some things seems pretty interesting (I'm looking forward for that rumoured retrocompatibility with PS3 games).

Edited by Galserik
  • Like 1

Does anybody know if the PS5 has or will have the feature currently available on PS4 that enables the removal of the display limit on the Home Screen in regards to games installed. 

It currently only displays 9 games even though I have double that installed although the rest are in the library. Won’t bother most people and it’s not a criticism just can’t find information about it anywhere.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Wolf_Town_Spider said:

Does anybody know if the PS5 has or will have the feature currently available on PS4 that enables the removal of the display limit on the Home Screen in regards to games installed. 

It currently only displays 9 games even though I have double that installed although the rest are in the library. Won’t bother most people and it’s not a criticism just can’t find information about it anywhere.

Thanks

The display will enlarge (up to 15 games if I recall correctly) with the very next update. It's part of the current beta.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 8:36 PM, Jelly Soup said:

I don't know about disappointment. It's still in it's adolescence as far as console ages are measured. Lots of potential, just not a lot of pull at the moment. Side from some questionable XMB (is it even called that on PS5?) design choices, the system itself seems impressive enough. It's just matter of software at this point. With the PS3 and 4, I saw stuff by the point we're at now that made me really want to upgrade. So far, I've seen stuff that's really interesting but not interesting enough to pull me into attempting to buy one.

This holiday season into next Spring will be the the 'sun's out, gun's out' period.

Since this post I've acquired a PS5 and had it a few months. So far I can't say I'm disappointed with the system. It's basically a PS4 but better and with way less overheating issues. What I find disappointing is the lack of software that interests me. I'm not counting free version upgrades in that, as several of the games I'm getting I do like. They just aren't anything really new aside some graphical changes. This is going to change in the coming months, we're still at the start of the 'sun's out, gun's out' period I described above. Elden Ring isn't of great interest to me, but it'll be out soon. Horizon soon as well, which my partner is more into. We'll see.

I've loved my PS5 ever since I got my hands on it, but I also went in thinking of it as an improved PS4 tbh. I didn't really have expectations for there to be a lot of PS5 games immediately (actually, I was interested in more PS5 games than I expected myself to be) and I love the dualsense. Buying a new console was almost worth it for the dualsense alone for me, since I really hated the feel of PS3 and PS4 controllers. But thats just a super personal preference. 

I do wish they'd bring themes back. Thats the only thing I miss from my PS4. 

• Like 2

While I don't have a PS5 yet, can anyone with insight tell me why you still cannot view your trophies in alphabetical order?

To me, it seems the PS3 is still not beaten in many regards other than the obvious technical ones.

It's just unbelievable to me that many features that were around in the PS3 era still are missing or have been butchered, not to be seen again...?

• Like 1