Biggest pet peeves in gaming

TomataEighty9

Collectibles - as in collecting for the sake of collecting. I don’t mind as much if they serve a purpose such as upgrade points etc but a lot of the time they are just there for no reason. It often feels like devs intentionally do this sort of thing to punish people who like to go for 100% completion. I would rather have something challenging in a game that takes me 20hrs to beat than spend 20hr mindlessly collecting pointless items

Pointless grinds - the sort of grinds you find in a lot of race games. Grid is a good example. After earning all the other trophies (takes about 20hrs) you have covered 6% of the required mileage for the last trophy. What is the point in making people grind that much? Even if you loved the game and regularly played multiplayer it is still fairly unlikely you would get the trophy naturally 

Early access - it really annoys me that so many people get early access to games, making it almost impossible to go for a first platinum achiever on the majority of big titles. I understand that they want people to review and promote the game before it comes out but why not just disable trophies on these review copies or wipe out any existing trophies when the game launches to keep things fair?

• Like 2

- Getting messages from randoms asking me to get trophies for them. I've since limited who can message me so I haven't seen any of that as of late, but my faith in humanity drops every time I get one of those.

- Games that crash frequently, have broken trophies, or have 'that one trophy' that takes over twice as long to get as every other trophy

- Unlockable difficulty modes. Unless it's something like a God Mode or a drastically different experience, I hate having to beat the game once to unlock a harder/easier difficulty. Especially if the difficulty doesn't really change much other than damage taken/received

51 minutes ago, Warlord99956 said:

Early access - it really annoys me that so many people get early access to games, making it almost impossible to go for a first platinum achiever on the majority of big titles. I understand that they want people to review and promote the game before it comes out but why not just disable trophies on these review copies or wipe out any existing trophies when the game launches to keep things fair?

As someone who's gotten early access to a fair amount of games in the past, it isn't nearly as lucrative as you might think. First achiever doesn't really mean much to me other than 'Oh hey, this game doesn't have broken trophies and isn't impossible', and I've never had anyone commend me for getting 'First Achiever' status in a game. We're essentially the 'beta testers' and oftentimes subjected to a worser version of the game with more bugs and occasionally broken trophies that the launch version won't have. Besides, you can always start your own review site or be a content creator and get that same access if you want in on early copies.

• Like 3

offline:

collectibles- most of the time its pointless filler

unskippable cutscenes-first playthrough is fine but when you cant skip it during 2nd playthrough or others it just gets annoying

online:

multiplayer-I find it pointless prefer to boost it to be done with it as fast as possible

boosting partners-Mean the people that leave after getting there trophy

pointless online grinds-bf bad company for example getting 10,002 kills

online that gets shutdown within a year

Edited by Sorelhoshi
  • Like 3

Comparing things instead of being able to assess things on their own merits. I get it, when my son was three or four he learned about the world by learning something was red and round and the comparing everything after that as similar or different to the round, red thing he already knew. But as we grow older not everything needs to be compared and contrasted, people need to get past the toddler habits. 

If someone’s assessment of a game is only that it’s similar or different to another game, then that person failed to consider that game on its merits alone. I just wish more people were capable of doing that, but it’s pretty pervasive. In logical fallacies, it’s called a false equivalence. But people will latch on that since there is one shared trait, the comparison is legitimate and never let go. Explaining something without comparing it to something else is hard for people who have only ever learned comparing and contrasting. 

In games themselves: long/inconvenient save times. 

• Like 2

• Difficulty trophies
  • Online level grinds
  • Ridiculously circumstantial trophies, especially in MP (Looking at you Overwatch)
  • Onine modes in games that didnt need one (TLoU, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Watchdogs, Uncharted 4)
  • Collectables So long as they are marked on the map, or unlockable to be marked, there arnt too many of them and they dont require too much to gather then its more tolerable but they still suck.
  • Games with a single uber-grindy trophy that requires more time alone then the rest of the list for no reason at all. (The Crew, Marvel's Avengers)
  • Unskippable cutscenes (first playthrough understandable but still iritating)
  • Games that are "blocked scenes". If im on my console, then spotify is playing, without exception, so games that are blocked scenes are litrally the worst. (*Cough* Death Stranding *cough*)

Thats all I can think of for now, though im sure there are plenty more xD

Edited by jninja79
Typo fix
  • Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 3:12 PM, EverythingOnFire said:

Controller gimmicks. Motion controls, touchpads, etc. At the start, a decent amount of games will take advantage of the feature(s), but even then it's rare that the gimmick is implemented in any truly enjoyable/meaningful way. By the end of the generation, most developers don't even bother with said gimmicks, because it's just more sensible & reliable to stick to traditional controls.

Some PS3 games sadly are kicked down a peg by motion controls. You need Sixaxis for some titles or you miss out on certain features. Your wave attack in the dual-stick shooter Blast Factor requires you to tilt the Sixaxis. Sometimes it can go the wrong way and get you killed. The devs should've mapped that to face buttons instead.

In the PS4/Xbox/PC version, removing the Sixaxis function from Ninja Gaiden Sigma is an improvement. You get the full power of your Ninpo without shaking the controller.

I think the SP and MP modes of a game should get separate trophy lists, each one having its own platinum.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jninja79 said:
  • Unskippable cutscenes (first playthrough understandable but still iritating)

worst thing to happen in gaming since ET

6 hours ago, jninja79 said:
  • Online modes in game that didnt need one (TLoU, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Watchdogs, Uncharted 4)

there are some things that is better to do alone

• Like 1

1) Multiplayer added on to single player games - This has to be my biggest pet peeve, mainly due to I personally think certain single player games should stay single player. Adding a multiplayer to them, just to make money or to pamper to a certain group don't help it's cause. I have stopped playing Tomb raider because they added MP to it, assassin Creed was the biggest on this, I played black flag & unity on another account because of I hated the multiplayer being taxed on for no reason.

2) Unnecessary things in games, that shouldn't of pass the 1st stage of planning - I can normally deal with certain type of grinds in games, but as I am currently playing Injustice 2, this game has annoyed me the most. if you want to level up via player level, like SFV that is fine. But to level up in a fighting game and to add stats to it, that just makes it god damn boring to do. I like the single player aspect, as I want to get Nightwing and better gear for my main Leonardo, the TMNT & Dc characters is why I wanted to play it.  But the gear stats and having to level up to 20, just to play people online or to do Multiverse events ruined this game.

It should never be in a fighting game and it just breed bad habits, the gear should of been an cosmetic only, where the stats shouldn't exist at all. I know this game has big issues in the FGC and for good reason, I can deal with the bad mechanics offline, but not online and against an level 30 Gorilla Grodd with insane stats against my level 10 turtle. Who just rinse and repeat the same moves, that I should of defeat him easily if the stats didn't exist. Nope I get wiped out before I could MB roll escape and then I get grabbed for trying an air escape. No Honeymoon faze to slowly bring you in the game, straight away in to the fire. I can just deal with the 50hrs grind to get cat call, not the stats. The online is dead for a reason, no one wants to chase after the opponent from the other end of the screen and get beat by Superman DB1 over & over. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Valzentia said:

Artificially lengthened boss fights. No, I do not want to spend 45+ minutes fighting you when there's no logical reason to fight you for that long. I just want to demolish you within 10 minutes and be on my merry way.

OMG yes! Destiny is a killer for this. If im powerful enough then just let me smash the boss, ive earned the right too xD

• Like 2

Online and multiplayer trophies- I'm an introvert who plays solo, I avoid games with these trophies

Games that need more than 2 playthroughs to platinum. That gets awfully boring and grindy, the most prominent example I can think of is Tales of Symphonia which needs 5, and also has no scene skip on top of the 2D battles...

Mini games- FFX made me hate them, as well as KH BBS and KH3. Square makes the most frustrating mini games ever despite the main story and everything else being great

• Like 2

•Online multiplayer trophies that are an absolute grind especially when a game is mostly single player.

•Collectibles not really a problem for me when it’s a moderate amount but some games just have way to many.

•RNG mostly for the very low random drop rates on some games.

•Unskippable cutscenes first playthrough i never skip but beyond that let me skip.

•Gamebreaking bugs/crashes/glitches obviously.

Lack of character creator in RPGs (or most other games for that matter).   After Skyrim, I pretty much don't play any game where I can't create my own toon.   With rare exceptions.

The inability to revert the Y-axis in games with flight.  That's the reason I simply stopped playing GTA V and Star Trek Online after like 5 minutes.  

We're not actual aviators sitting inside an actual cockpit.   We are "flying" in a video a game on a 2-dimensional screen.   So pressing 'up' to go down and 'down' to go up is just dumb.  

Edited by SecularIX

5 minutes ago, SecularIX said:

The inability to revert the Y-axis in games with flight.  That's the reason I simply stopped playing GTA V and Star Trek Online after like 5 minutes.  

We're not actual aviators sitting inside an actual cockpit.   We are "flying" in a video a game on a 2-dimensional screen.   So pressing 'up' to go down and 'down' to go up is just dumb.

Funny, i like the way it is :D 

But i agree, you should be able to toggle controls to your preference.

• Like 1