What franchises/games would you change and why: Warning: Contains plot spoilers etc

DaveMcDamage

Hi all,

Recently I played through the Assassin's Creed games of Origins and Odyssey. I took an unexplained break from AC after AC2 even though I loved it... just one of those things, and never played another until recently. Now I know the plot and what happened in the other games but its why I gave Origins a shot as it was meant to be the start of everything. I'm of the same opinion of the many when it comes to the new trilogy that they don't feel like AC games, but more mythical adventures. Not bad games in the slightest, very good in fact, but not AC games. I put this down not to Ubisoft not knowing what to do, but being afraid of the success of there franchise and not wanting to financially break away from it. Odyssey as its own game would have been one of the best adventure games alone, but the AC tag leaves many confused I think. 

I think AC had two major problems to begin with. Desmond and then in AC2, the unveiling of the better species. first highly advanced civilization. Now for the Desmond problem its clear that Ubisoft planned for this to be a franchise and that this guy was who we were training up. First off I think it was a bad idea giving Desmond that name, the face which which looks like he's the drunken result of Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler having sex in a laboratory. And finally, not having enough story experience to see if he's even the guy worth sticking with. 

So if I could have been in control of the AC franchise here is what I would have done. 

1: I would indeed stick with the Assassin's vs Templars. Our politic is complex and twisted enough that we don't need higher species trying to outdo us. And its the age old working story system or good vs evil vs anti-hero vs each side has its agendas etc. 

2: Rather than having the present day scenes feature a specific protagonist. I would allow for a character customisation tool. This way the gamers character could be a man or woman or whatever race they want, even though the animus will feature a specific character. But never having it set t one specific present day character should writing ideas change in the future and risk wrecking the overall plot. 

3: In terms of sequels, even with a create character tool, it would never feature the same present day character twice as at the end of certain games a particular choice could depend on sacrifice or switching sides. This then allows for the next game to feature a section which has questions for you to answer such as 'what happened to Sally?' 'Choice = She died/switched sides/was successful and got us the data we needed. This in tern would have such a huge impact on the new game but little things like access to a sent weapon schematic or a higher difficulty level or whatnot. Sort of like we know what happened in previous Fallout games but are only referenced as they have no immediate impact on the current game. It could also make for transferring to new consoles and gamers much easier to dive into at any point. 

4:: I'd also have games based on both sides. As I mentioned, no matter the cause each sides has its own messed up agendas and everyone should be heard before conviction. I'd would keep the orb idea as you would need a reason to have to keep going into the animus in the first place, or perhaps switch it with multiple items to discover which along with the beginning choice system could determine who is winning and more advanced, which could open new difficulty levels etc for the latest games. 

5: In terms of timeline I would probably pick Egypt as a good starting point. Most debates criticize the Egyptian history as they barely changed for 3000 years until the invasions happened. This could indeed lead to a good starting point as to when the Templars/New Order tried to take over everything. But I would never go back earlier than that. Ever other timeline would be a progression rather than look for prologues. 

Do you have any that you would change due to there current outcome? Doesn't have to be a franchise, could be a game which had massive potential but got hampered somewhere down the line. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

• 2 weeks later...

I would change the present day storyline of Assassin's Creed. A lot of people are already saying they're tired of Layla Hassan. I haven't played Valhalla yet so I don't know what happens. In both Origins and Odyssey, she just comes off as brash and arrogant.

Ubisoft was clearly looking for a new protagonist after they killed off Desmond Miles. Granted, the present day was never what I call spectacular, but it was interesting to see how it was relatable to the historical day, which is what everybody loved about Assassin's Creed.

There's no real Assassin vs Templar conflict anymore. It's basically about The Ones Who Came Before against everything else. The series was already starting to get a little shaky in the present day when Ubisoft basically killed off Lucy Stillman. Then they gave Desmond Miles two more games. Revelations was still decent, but not as good as the previous two in the Ezio trilogy. Assassin's Creed III was definitely where Ubisoft was getting a bit too ahead of themselves. The game was full of glitches, and the entire storyline was Connor trying to find his place in his world. The British and the Patriots, for the most part, were fighting against him.

So much has changed since the original Assassin's Creed. Odyssey was good in what it did, but I would of enjoyed it more if it was part of a new IP Ubisoft developed, instead of just calling in Assassin's Creed. Nothing from the original game is there anymore. Desmond, Lucy and Warren Vidic were all killed off, and the storyline has basically dropped the Assassin vs Templar conflict.

The closest thing to the Assassin vs Templar conflict is the present day story. Layla is an Assassin trying to gain First Civilization technology before Abstergo does, who are the present day Templars.

21 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I would like to have the option of a female protagonist in the Persona franchise. They only did that in Persona 3 Portable, but it would have been cool to have it in the other persona games as well. 

Yeah I think more games should incorporate that as a feature. Personally I don't like playing a female character as my role experience goes from male character = Kill everyone, shag everything. To female character = I swear to god if anyone tries to get off with her I will strangle the PS4. With the likes of AC games adding split characters or choice of characters I would like to think this could be a thing of the future in gaming, especially as the female gamers are just going up and up and more genres other than rpg's can allow them to connect better with there characters. 

I'm playing Prey at the moment and that too has the cool feature of gender choice. I think all the actors had to do in that game was change he to she and brother to sister. Basic to do and every gamer can be happy.

On 02/10/2021 at 7:38 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah I think more games should incorporate that as a feature. Personally I don't like playing a female character as my role experience goes from male character = Kill everyone, shag everything. To female character = I swear to god if anyone tries to get off with her I will strangle the PS4. With the likes of AC games adding split characters or choice of characters I would like to think this could be a thing of the future in gaming, especially as the female gamers are just going up and up and more genres other than rpg's can allow them to connect better with there characters. 

I'm playing Prey at the moment and that too has the cool feature of gender choice. I think all the actors had to do in that game was change he to she and brother to sister. Basic to do and every gamer can be happy.

I'm female myself and Ialthough I usually don't mind playing as any gender, I do have a strong preference for playing female characters especially if there is a dating aspect like persona and the harvest moon games, as I'm really into otome games as well. I also liked playing as characters like Lightning (FF), Aqua in KH, 2B in Nier Automata and Velvet and Milla in Tales. 

I think gender choice would also give second playthroughs more variety instead of the same stuff over and over again, like in Scarlet Nexus and Tales of Xillia, especially if the game needs you to do a second playthrough for the platinum trophy. Nier automata also did that well in terms of being able to do the store with 2B and 9S. I was never a fan of repetition and having dual protagonists gives more motivation. At least P5R could be platinumed in 1 playthrough, but that wasn't the case with P4G or the Vanilla P5, and with how long these games are an alternative playable character would have made the second playthrough less tedious.