The game is cross-save... So how do Trophies work?

Joey-Ravn

Hi! I know the game is cross-save if you are playing an online character. I honestly prefer to use keyboard and mouse to gamepad for this game (I grew up playing D2:LoD on PC). I tried socketing an item on PC and loading the game on PS4 to see if that would pop the Trophy, but no luck there. I assume that every Trophy that requires you to perform a certain action won't auto-pop, but what about progression-based milestones, like beating Act I? Has anyone tried that?

So i just finished act 2 on the Switch and after logging in on Ps4 i didn't get the trophy. Also did another misc trophy on the Switch and it didn't pop. 

Kinda annoying but tbh you can still do a lot of work on the other platforms. 

Like playing teough normal, nightmare and almost full hell. Just got to do the last step on the Ps4. 

Might just hate it if I'll find stone of jordans on the Switch but never on the Ps4 otherwise i don't care that much now that i know that they don't pop and can react. 

Edit: also tried traveling from act 2 to 3 again and that didn't help. Guess the trophytrigger is for competing the quest which is kinda unlucky

Edit 2: Killed Duriel again and got the Trophy for competing act 2.

So it's not that bad but annoyong nevertheless 

Edited by Aviditas90

I beat Act 1 on PC and have killed over 500 enemies. Loaded up ps4 game and nothing. I also took way points to other acts, killed random enemies, etc to see if it'd trigger. I did not try killing Andy again on ps4 however.

Hopefully it's an programming oversight or error and a patch can fix it...if it's broken. Maybe this is the way they intended.

Ugh, it's a bit disheartening to see that the milestone progression related to Trophies doesn't seem to carry between platforms. Other games do it (FFXIV, Destiny 2, etc.), so I don't feel there's a technical limitation. And I guess it's the same for PS4/PS5... I can stick with one platform and put the blunt of the work there, but it sucks for the Hardcore trophy. I was hoping I could play on PC and then load my character on PS4 and PS5 and get the respective Trophies on each platform.

Just quick update on a few for anyone curious.

Beating each act is tied to the boss and you just need to kill the boss again for the trophy.

All way points - you can get them all on pc but to get the trophy, you need to use each on console. Popped for me midway in Act 5.

Complete all act quests - completed last quest on console. Trophy popped on quest tab as icon filled in.

• Like 2

My concern right now is beating Hell Difficulty with each class. If it's just beating Baal on Hell again then that's fine, but PS4 and PS5 have separate trophy lists and I'm rather concerned about how to complete both. Such as reach level 99. You can't repeat that. So does that mean you need to reach 99 to get it on both systems?

7 hours ago, Lancescape said:

My concern right now is beating Hell Difficulty with each class. If it's just beating Baal on Hell again then that's fine, but PS4 and PS5 have separate trophy lists and I'm rather concerned about how to complete both. Such as reach level 99. You can't repeat that. So does that mean you need to reach 99 to get it on both systems?

Yep. What really sucks is that PS4 and PS5 can't use the same local characters. If that were the case, you could create a local character, back it up to the cloud when you were one Baal run away from level 99, level up on one console, download the character on the other, level up again. But unfortunately you can't. That means that, at minimum, you need to do 2 full level 99 runs with two different characters if you're planning on getting the Plat on both consoles... and you do them with a Hardcore character, since you also need level 99 in Hardcore (assuming it unlocks both hardcore and softcore trophies!). Otherwise it's 4 full level 99 runs.

Hardcore is another massive issue. You need to play offline, since you can back up your characters. Otherwise you risk losing a ton of progress by dying or rollback due to server instability. The problem on console is that chat in unvailable, meaning that you can't use the /players 8 parameter to simulate an 8-player session. That means, in turn, that you'll be earning EXP at the standard rate, not x8 as you normally would. You either do that, or play with an online character, risking death and rollback, and having to find 7 other players who are willing to farm with you. Not worth it, IMO.

I'll try to go for the Plat in these games, but I think I'll just play them at my own pace, abusing the cloud as much as I can. And then... grind Baal runs and Cow Level runs as much as I can. At least killing the Cow King doesn't block you out from the level on that difficulty anymore.

Edited by Joey-Ravn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Joey-Ravn said:

Yep. What really sucks is that PS4 and PS5 can't use the same local characters. If that were the case, you could create a local character, back it up to the cloud when you were one Baal run away from level 99, level up on one console, download the character on the other, level up again. But unfortunately you can't. That means that, at minimum, you need to do 2 full level 99 runs with two different characters if you're planning on getting the Plat on both consoles... and you do them with a Hardcore character, since you also need level 99 in Hardcore (assuming it unlocks both hardcore and softcore trophies!). Otherwise it's 4 full level 99 runs.

Hardcore is another massive issue. You need to play offline, since you can back up your characters. Otherwise you risk losing a ton of progress by dying or rollback due to server instability. The problem on console is that chat in unvailable, meaning that you can't use the /players 8 parameter to simulate an 8-player session. That means, in turn, that you'll be earning EXP at the standard rate, not x8 as you normally would. You either do that, or play with an online character, risking death and rollback, and having to find 7 other players who are willing to farm with you. Not worth it, IMO.

I'll try to go for the Plat in these games, but I think I'll just play them at my own pace, abusing the cloud as much as I can. And then... grind Baal runs and Cow Level runs as much as I can. At least killing the Cow King doesn't block you out from the level on that difficulty anymore.

i really want to play it, I love sinking my teeth into a grind. i managed 100 on path of exile. but many of the builds require runes that as far as i can tell are as rare as rocking horse shit. that + not being able to trade with anyone.. seems excessively sucky. Baal caps off at 3 players surely it would be better to level there then anywhere else. right?

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

i really want to play it, I love sinking my teeth into a grind. i managed 100 on path of exile. but many of the builds require runes that as far as i can tell are as rare as rocking horse shit. that + not being able to trade with anyone.. seems excessively sucky. Baal caps off at 3 players surely it would be better to level there then anywhere else. right?

If only the console versions had chat and you could enable /playersX... That'd make a world of a difference. Hopefully Blizzard implements that option somehow, because it's a glaring disadvantage of the console version.

Just my two cents:

• My advice is if you are a PC gamer to farm on PC and throw stuff in a shared stash for yourself. I have been farming with my hammerdin to feed my ps4 account.
  • You can get yourself to the spot you need to pop the trophy. You need to do the event on the ps4 to pop the trophy (as it will not pop if you complete the event on PC).

Another quick update that I forgot to post. I'm in Hell on PC but went and killed Baal in NM on ps4 (quest was long since completed) and the trophy for beating NM popped.

I haven't attempted this with the Hell trophies but I'd assume they'd be the same.

Edited by SwatTJ

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 11:31 AM, SwatTJ said:

Another quick update that I forgot to post. I'm in Hell on PC but went and killed Baal in NM on ps4 (quest was long since completed) and the trophy for beating NM popped.

I haven't attempted this with the Hell trophies but I'd assume they'd be the same.

Just beat Assassin on PC by accident and went to the PS4. I killed Baal in Hell and got Assassin trophy still.

4 minutes ago, Coexistant said:

Just beat Assassin on PC by accident and went to the PS4. I killed Baal in Hell and got Assassin trophy still.

Sounds good. My plan is to play it both on ps4 and pc (my brother is a pc guy, so if we are gonna play together, that's the place). Good to hear you can pop trophies pretty easily if you already did requirement on pc. Thanks for info :) 

On 9/28/2021 at 0:59 AM, Joey-Ravn said:

Hardcore is another massive issue. You need to play offline, since you can back up your characters.

You don't NEED to play offline... You can play online private and get everything done. There is an obvious risk of PKers if you do play in public games or even boost over PSNP. You can, however, get PL'd pretty well through some parts of the game if you're online with someone trustworthy. If you never touched D2 when it was originally released and aren't fantastic with the genre itself, then maybe I would walk away from this one. The trophy guide does not lie... it is a massive grind to 99 and you do need to risk the harder areas (and difficulties) of the game in order to get the higher XP. 

7 hours ago, Kallume said:

You don't NEED to play offline... You can play online private and get everything done. There is an obvious risk of PKers if you do play in public games or even boost over PSNP. You can, however, get PL'd pretty well through some parts of the game if you're online with someone trustworthy. If you never touched D2 when it was originally released and aren't fantastic with the genre itself, then maybe I would walk away from this one. The trophy guide does not lie... it is a massive grind to 99 and you do need to risk the harder areas (and difficulties) of the game in order to get the higher XP. 

Of course you don't need need to play offline. What I meant is that you need to play offline in the sense that it's a much safer method that doesn't rely on Blizzards sucky servers. And, if by any chance you die by accident, you can restore your character from a cloud backup.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I am a bit alte and this topic is already old, but I have a few queations.

So, I have an offline hardcore character, can I Import him from PS4 to PS5? I did it, because I don't want to be killed by other players.

If I transfer my characters from PS4 to PS5, will the trophies Auto pop up or do I have to do everything again?

Thank you!

Hi! I'm actually still working on this game, so I can answer your question :P

If you're playing online, you can play anywhere, as your character is saved to your Battle.net account. Unfortunately, there is no save transfer between PS4 and PS5 for offline characters. There's not even cross-play between the two consoles for offline characters. You don't have to worry about being PKed, as it's opt-in. But being offline allows you to back up your character to the cloud and download the save file if you die, so you don't have to start all over on your way to 99 :)

As for Trophies, they don't auto-pop, but it's very easy to trigger them once you have completed the requirements. For example, you need 20 player ears for a Trophy. If you get them on PS4 online, log into PS5, drop the bundle of ears on the ground and pick it up, the Trophy unlocks. The same goes for anything that requires an "action" like that: beating the game with X class, picking up X amount of money, wearing a full set (unequip and equip a piece), kill X number of enemies (just kill 1 more enemy and it unlocks).

Overall, your Trophy progress is very easy to move between platforms. The only real problem is level 99 hardcore, which needs to be done twice, from scratch. At least you don't need to level up two characters to 99 on each platform, as the hardcore Trophy unlocks both.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It looks like I will be playing on PC and Ps4.

To get the character to work on both I need to use the online option then? But then, if I die, Im fucked, right?

However if I use a offline character.. then I can only play on that specific unit, but instead cloud-save and "jump back" if I die, not to loose to much progress.... If I get it right?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 5:55 PM, Squeek111 said:

It looks like I will be playing on PC and Ps4.

To get the character to work on both I need to use the online option then? But then, if I die, Im fucked, right?

However if I use a offline character.. then I can only play on that specific unit, but instead cloud-save and "jump back" if I die, not to loose to much progress.... If I get it right?

Yep, that's it. I would recommend you go for something that has a fast killing rate when going for the HC Trophy. I made the mistake of starting with a summoner necro, which is very durable due to having a ton of summons to shield him from damage, but it's as slow as molasses. I switched to a trap assassin and levels fly by. Well, at least until the early 90s. If you're going to back up your save and restore it if you die, having a tanky but slow character won't be any good.