Masters Difficulty Legit questions

damcrac5

I currently have my PS5 in offline mode holding 1.05 so I can still use the exploit.  However, I am considering giving it a legitimate attempt.  So I have two questions.

1.  How much more difficult is Master difficulty from Expert(the highest first playthrough difficulty available)?  I can give expert a try and see if I can get through parts of the game without pulling out my hair.

2.  Patch Notes 1.06 state "The Parry Counter attack is now easier to perform."  Has anyone felt a significant improvement in combat with this change that might bring the difficulty down to say the 5-6 range?

I haven't played any souls like games, and I'm a bit worried about my ability to do it legit.  Think the hardest thing I've achieved lately is playing Mass Effect Legendary on insanity with relative ease.  

2 hours ago, damcrac5 said:

I currently have my PS5 in offline mode holding 1.05 so I can still use the exploit.  However, I am considering giving it a legitimate attempt.  So I have two questions.

1.  How much more difficult is Master difficulty from Expert(the highest first playthrough difficulty available)?  I can give expert a try and see if I can get through parts of the game without pulling out my hair.

2.  Patch Notes 1.06 state "The Parry Counter attack is now easier to perform."  Has anyone felt a significant improvement in combat with this change that might bring the difficulty down to say the 5-6 range?

I haven't played any souls like games, and I'm a bit worried about my ability to do it legit.  Think the hardest thing I've achieved lately is playing Mass Effect Legendary on insanity with relative ease.  

1. I don't know because I went from normal to master, however, my initial understanding of master was when you got hit, you lost the entire rot use. It is not how that works though, when you get hit it removes a sliver at a time for each hit you take so one hit isn't as detrimental as I first thought. Getting started is the hardest part until you find enough meditation points to raise your health. If you focus on the right upgrades like the Rot Hammer, Enter the Fray, and the parry upgrade that gives you a rot point you'll also make it easier on yourself. Then focus on bow upgrades. Also you should get to Rot level 4 because you can get Shield++. Since I went right for it after all the collectibles I remembered enough to get me there.

2. I did most of this on 1.05, if fact I made it last night to the final boss on 1.05 and when I logged on it was updated to 1.06, so from the little time I spent on it I didn't notice a great change. My issue with the combat was the parry timing is crap, no other way to put it, but I had more of an issue with the no action cancelling. I got hit way to much trying to stop combos and not being able to.

I don't think you need experience with souls games to do this, it's really just learning boss move sets and taking advantage of whats given such as the ability to jump and slow time with the bow.

Corrupted Taro was the worst followed by the boss. The problem with the final boss is that if you fail you start from scratch, you cant heal until round two, and the hardest part in all of that is the damned shielded woodsmith in between round one and two.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Amphiprion11513 said:

Hope this helps.

It does. I've gone ahead and bumped it to expert(says hard on the save file) and am just going to see if I can get through the section after taro(believe it's the wood craftsman).  I die a couple times on a few of the generic battles, but I'm feeling a bit better, especially saying I've hit no meditation points and spent my karma poorly, apparently, lol. 

Need to get a bit more familiar with character development in combination with not just mashing buttons. Also guides for the bosses when it's time to face them. Gotta just get over it and get it done. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 3:09 PM, damcrac5 said:

1. It's still a pretty big jump, tbh. I played on the hardest mode on my initial run and hit a few snags here and there, but Master is a lot more difficult. You'll do pretty well with the trash mobs and even some of the mini-bosses, but Taro, Adira, and Toshi will give you a run for your money. Make sure you collect your Rots and get all Meditation points to give yourself a fighting chance. It's also recommended you upgrade everything as much as possible, so you'll basically be looking at getting all collectibles again. The boss fights are just insane, not really sure how else to put it. You don't do nearly as much damage / they have a crap ton more health, so where a fight would take a few attempts on Expert, be prepared to spend some time on each main boss on Master. Mostly because... 

2. Parry because almost useless on Master. The timing to do it has to be absolutely perfect and your health and shield are far more important to maintain than attempting to parry. That upgrade that gives you a rot point on successful parries is good for trash mobs, but it was a struggle to get it to work on the bosses, so honestly I just kind of stopped using it and just found other ways to go about defeating them. Other people's timing might be better than mine, tbf, but it was an uphill battle trying to get it to work. 

It's not impossible by any means, but it's sure as hell not easy. Good luck to those who are going to attempt/do it. Personally found it quite rewarding to do, even if it broke my soul a few times haha. 

• Like 2