Holiday Connect 4 (Event Paused / Currently Closed)

Spoiler

oVVssL7.png

Interesting idea for an event! Here's what I'm thinking:

October

2 - International Day of Non-Violence

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition is non-violent.

3 - Techies Day

Nothing says "techies" quite like "nerds in giant robot suits," so 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim looks like the perfect choice.

12 - Moment of Frustration Day

Despite the name, the idea of this holiday is to "let frustrations out," not add to them. A 1/10 difficulty game like Obduction seems suitable.

31 - come on

I really don't do horror, so a scary game for Halloween isn't an option for me. Instead, Nexomon: Extinciton is all about monsters, which still kind of fits.

November

1 - Dia de los Muertos

Spiritfarer seems to be all about ferrying the souls of the dead.

14 - Children's Day (India)

Raji: An Ancient Epic is based in India, and the main character is described as a "young girl."

25 - do I really need to say it

Honestly I'm not 100% on a good Thanksgiving game. The premise of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana reminds me a bit of the apocryphal, fairy tale-style version of the first Thanksgiving that's told to children, with the characters arriving by boat (accidentally or otherwise) to an uncharted land. It might be a bit of a stretch, so I can try to come up with something more suitable if necessary.

Asia

If I can get away with lumping 3 or 4 holidays together, I'd like to do Persona 4 Golden for Golden Week. Let me know if I need a different plan.

December

6 - Independence Day (Finland)

Housemarque is a Finnish studio, so I'll aim for Returnal.

8 - Take it in the Ear Day

I don't want to think about what this holiday could possibly be, so I'll pick a game that's known for its music like Persona 5.

20 - Mudd Day

Not at all in good taste to have a holiday in remembrance of one of the co-conspirators in the Lincoln assassination, but the alternative involves Christmas carols, so I'm stuck with this one. Tales of Arise tells a story about slavery and liberation, so that's probably as close to "appropriate" as I can get for a day like this.

27 - Make Cut Out Snowflakes Day

Bug Fables has that Paper Mario-style cut out aesthetic, snowflakes or no.

January

16 - Appreciate a Dragon Day

My first thought was to go as literally as possible and pick up Angels with Scaly Wings, but while that would be hilarious, it falls short of the 1 hour requirement. There's no shortage of games featuring dragons, so I'll leave this one for later.

24 - Global Belly Laugh Day

Any funny game will work for this one. Chaos on Deponia is rotting in my backlog, but I may hold out to see if something else comes along.

29 - Puzzle Day

I picked up Glass Masquerade a few months ago and haven't started it yet, so that seems appropriate. Especially since you're doing Glass Masquerade 2 for this one @InfinateEternity

Have another player recommend you a Holiday (any month)

TBA

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ArtikSkarab said:

26 - ?. The big choices I have for this date are Austrian National Holiday (can't find any games made in or featuring Austria apart from simulation racing games) or National Pumpkin Day (no real clue for a game there). Would love some suggestions.

30 - ?. I legit found nothing for this day apart from Bicarbonate of Soda Day (and the only game I could see for that would be Cooking Mama: Cookstar, which I'm not buying). Need help

16 - ?. The only big choice I'm seeing is the Day of Reconciliation for South Africa. Would love some suggestions for games about reconciliation/peace (Google is failing me in this).

October 26 Pumpkin day: The is a game called Pumpkin Jack, it probably will be on sale very soon... it has been on sale recently and October has to be a month where is on sale... you can also think on a game that Jack' o lantern appears... I think Borderlands 1 has DLC where you fight him, I don't know if that would qualify.

December 30. Yeah a game with Cooking in it, there are a bunch of them. Also you can also do a game that has Soda as a big thing in it... maybe or maybe I missunderstood InfinateEternity.

Also December 16.... where is that reconciliation thing? All I saw is National Chocolate Covered Anything Day

8 hours ago, ArtikSkarab said:

Recommended by another player - Can't select anything there yet.

I will give you a fun one: International Ninja Day  Which is celebrated (I guess) December 5.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

October 26 Pumpkin day: The is a game called Pumpkin Jack, it probably will be on sale very soon... it has been on sale recently and October has to be a month where is on sale... you can also think on a game that Jack' o lantern appears... I think Borderlands 1 has DLC where you fight him, I don't know if that would qualify.

December 30. Yeah a game with Cooking in it, there are a bunch of them. Also you can also do a game that has Soda as a big thing in it... maybe or maybe I missunderstood InfinateEternity.

Also December 16.... where is that reconciliation thing? All I saw is National Chocolate Covered Anything Day

I will give you a fun one: International Ninja Day  Which is celebrated (I guess) December 5.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will keep an eye out for a price drop on Pumpkin Jack; looks interesting. The Borderlands DLC was already completed in the original version, so can't really use that.

For the Cooking game, I'll probably try to do Overcooked. It will have to be solo; but, from reading online, it's not horrendous?

For December 16, I was mostly using Wikipedia to figure out holidays which brought me to the Day of Reconciliation page. I would love to go with a peace/alliance game instead of another cooking game.

Also, thank you for the Ninja Day gift. Not wanting to subject myself to a Ninja Gaiden game, I'll go with The Last Blade 2 which features Zantetsu, oficially dubbed The Last/Strongest Ninja

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 9:52 PM, NordicSaiyan said:

October

- 21: (Honduras and Mexico)  Army Force Day / Warface (Undone). Why: Warface is a military game some missions take place in latin america.

Thanks for the PM about the edits to your post! It was greatly appreciated! I've gone through and updated the spreadsheet as appropriate.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On 9/29/2021 at 1:04 AM, DoctorDrPepper said:

January:

North or South American Holiday - Oct. 1st - International Coffee Day. Picked up Coffee Talk on a sale a while back and this seems a good excuse to finally play it.

Re: International Coffee Day - This holiday wouldn't work as it's celebrated all over the world, including the Americas, Asia and Europe (Source). With that being said, you can use Coffee Talk for Employee Appreciation Day, as workers (at least in my experience in the US) typically survive on on coffee and water-cooler talk in the workplace to some degree, lol. So, I've used that in your board instead.

Otherwise, everything else with your games looks good and holidays have been added to the OP as appropriate. Let me know if I need to make any other changes to the spreadsheet. Also, good luck with Dr. Dekker! That one gave me a headache due to the mechanics of the game. Hopefully, you'll enjoy it more than I did. I had a lot of fun when I platted Disney Sing It!: Family Hits. So, I hope you have fun with that one too!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@Xylobe Thank you for joining us! Your game card has been added to the spreadsheet. I'll be going through your games and holidays soon and will let you know if I run into any issues. Right now, I'm taking a look at @ArtikSkarab's info.

Edited by InfinateEternity

21 hours ago, ArtikSkarab said:

October:

26 - ?. The big choices I have for this date are Austrian National Holiday (can't find any games made in or featuring Austria apart from simulation racing games) or National Pumpkin Day (no real clue for a game there). Would love some suggestions.

I'm still looking through your games and holidays. So, I'll keep you updated. But, I just wanted to share a quick suggestion for October 26th. For that one, you could use Angam Day, which is a day that celebrates growth, reflection, and overcoming hardships, and returning to one's roots (home). Looking at your profile, games that would fit this holiday include: the Sims games (for the growth, reflection and home bit), any RPGs or fighting games that feature battles (overcoming hardships, adversity), King's Quest (the character reflects on past events which you play through), games with time travel mechanics, etc. So, it seems like that holiday may give you more variety if you don't want to do another food-based game.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ArtikSkarab said:

December:

16 - ?. The only big choice I'm seeing is the Day of Reconciliation for South Africa. Would love some suggestions for games about reconciliation/peace (Google is failing me in this).

Looking at your profile, if you wanted to use the Day of Reconciliation, you could use the following games from your profile:

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Brothers work together to save their father. While reconciliation does deal with peace and forgiveness, people have to come together / work together for reconciliation to be possible. So, imo, co-op / partnership games would work for this, or even games where characters have to come together to solve a problem)

Star Trek (PS3) - Again, a game where co-op / controlling two characters is necessary. Ico (PS3) also has this in the sense that you have to monitor two characters and make sure that one isn't attacked. Games with sidekicks that are always with the main character would also work.

From what I understand - Flow (PS3) is supposed to be a peaceful / relaxing game to play. So, that's another avenue you could take, which would also include games like Journey.

Another interpretation is MMO-type games where people come together to play the game and make it a full experience. I hope that helps!

Otherwise, all your games have been added to the spreadsheet and the OP updated with the necessary holidays. Once you decide on any updates, let me know!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Xylobe said:

November

25 - do I really need to say it

Honestly I'm not 100% on a good Thanksgiving game. The premise of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana reminds me a bit of the apocryphal, fairy tale-style version of the first Thanksgiving that's told to children, with the characters arriving by boat (accidentally or otherwise) to an uncharted land. It might be a bit of a stretch, so I can try to come up with something more suitable if necessary.

I did some further research on the game, and compared it to a PDF of the Thanksgiving story, and there's enough similarity beyond the characters arriving by boat to a new location for it to work (what with characters being able to fish, having battles with beasts (equivalent to "hunting"), living in a make-shift village), etc. So, you're fine.

17 hours ago, Xylobe said:

December

20 - Mudd Day

Not at all in good taste to have a holiday in remembrance of one of the co-conspirators in the Lincoln assassination, but the alternative involves Christmas carols, so I'm stuck with this one. Tales of Arise tells a story about slavery and liberation, so that's probably as close to "appropriate" as I can get for a day like this.

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm having a hard time making the connection between conspiracy and the issues you noted in Tales of Arise. But, with that being said, we do have Dec. 20th down as International Human Solidarity Day in the OP, and one of the things that day is concerned with is countries coming together and honoring human rights and their agreements with one another. Researching the game, it seems there are alliances and efforts to abolish slavery and make conditions better for the people of that world. So, I'll put the game down for that day instead.

Otherwise, I've left the following Holidays without games:

Jan. 16 - Appreciate a Dragon Day
Jan. 24 - Global Belly Laugh Day

Your recommendation is currently set for Canada Day (July 1st)

Besides those notes, you're all set in the spreadsheet. As always, I do understand that this is a tentative plan. So, you're free to make changes and let me know!

11 hours ago, ArtikSkarab said:

For December 16, I was mostly using Wikipedia to figure out holidays which brought me to the Day of Reconciliation page. I would love to go with a peace/alliance game instead of another cooking game.

Ok, then you can possibly do Maquette (it was plus for ps5) is a puzzle game that I don't want to spoil the story but you can say it fits.

Also games that might fit are: 11-11: Memories Retold.

Seasons after fall. 

Twin Mirror.

I mean most of the games with a story have some sort of reconciliation if you really think about it lol.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided my 2 missing games (apart from the Free Day).

December 16: I'll stay with day of Reconciliation and use Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS4).

October 26: I'll grab the Angam Day idea and go with a game that embodies all of the noted aspects with Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4).

@InfinateEternity There is a mistake on my selected games on the spreadsheet: I'll be using the standalone version of The Last Blade 2 and not the Arcade Archives version. (There's also a typo on Obon, but that's less important).

Can I also get the confirmation that we can already start clearing games? Just to be sure.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ArtikSkarab said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided my 2 missing games (apart from the Free Day).

December 16: I'll stay with day of Reconciliation and use Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS4).

October 26: I'll grab the Angam Day idea and go with a game that embodies all of the noted aspects with Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4).

@InfinateEternity There is a mistake on my selected games on the spreadsheet: I'll be using the standalone version of The Last Blade 2 and not the Arcade Archives version. (There's also a typo on Obon, but that's less important).

Can I also get the confirmation that we can already start clearing games? Just to be sure.

Thanks for letting me know about the new games and the errors! I really appreciate it! Everything has been updated in the spreadsheet. Let me know if any other changes have to be made.

And, yes, you can absolutely already start clearing games. That's no problem at all! 

5 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I don't fully understand the rules right now, but I obviously want to participate and I just wanted to get my card out of the way. I'll have to figure out my games later.

Reveal hidden contents

mtOiCeq.png

Don't know why November 9 looks like that. Maybe it's possessed.

could be saying pick me first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I don't fully understand the rules right now, but I obviously want to participate and I just wanted to get my card out of the way. I'll have to figure out my games later.

Reveal hidden contents

mtOiCeq.png

Don't know why November 9 looks like that. Maybe it's possessed.

Thanks for joining us! Your game card has been added to the spreadsheet. :D

And, yeah, I don't know why your 9 is appearing like that...I've never seen the generator do that before....? NGL, it does kinda seem like it's saying to pick your November 9th holiday first, like kingofbattle8174 said, lol.

Also, I'm so sorry the rules of this challenge are confusing! That wasn't my intent at all! I'm going to put a tl;dr version here in a spoiler that will hopefully help. If you're still confused let me know, and I'll try to clear things up to the best of my ability.

Spoiler

Basically, the ONDJ represent the months Oct-Jan on your card, while the numbers represent dates. You're going to take the letter and combine it with the 4 numbers below it. So, for October, you have the following dates:

Oct. 7th, Oct. 27th, Oct. 6th, and Oct. 31st

So, the next step would be to pick a holiday that falls on each of those dates and find a game that represents that holiday in some way, shape or form. It can be a literal connection or a tangential one. So, for Oct. 31st, you could pick Halloween and do a game that represents Halloween some way (also a great crossover with the Revenge of the 13 Plats event, ngl).

The only thing to keep in mind is that the game must a 50th fastest completion time of 1 hour and it cannot be auto-popped. We do allow games that have less than 50 completions, but the slowest time on the board at the moment must still be at least 1 hour.

People have been posting their games and holidays in advance, so in addition to links with holidays by date in the OP, there are also alternative holidays you can use. But, please know that posting games in advance is not required unless you're worried about a holiday and game not matching up. Otherwise, the other option is to post games and holidays as you complete them, which everyone must do in order to let me know to cross that info off on the spreadsheet.

Once you complete a full line on your board (diagonal, down, across) it gets checked off and counts towards a reward level for donations. You will also get a badge if you complete one line (diagonal, down or across) of the board.

Again, I hope that helps, and thanks for posting!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, InfinateEternity said:

Also, I'm so sorry the rules of this challenge are confusing! That wasn't my intent at all! I'm going to put a tl;dr version here in a spoiler that will hopefully help. If you're still confused let me know, and I'll try to clear things up to the best of my ability.

Oh, sorry! I didn't mean the rules were confusing. I was just taking a short break from work, saw the topic, and wanted to join, but didn't have time to fully read the rules. Everything makes sense to me now.

I'll have to investigate those dates a bit. Glad I rolled Oct 31 at least.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Oh, sorry! I didn't mean the rules were confusing. I was just taking a short break from work, saw the topic, and wanted to join, but didn't have time to fully read the rules. Everything makes sense to me now.

Ah, gotcha! Okay. No problem! Take all the time you need, and thanks again for taking part in this! ?

International Day For The Abolition Of Slavery (Dec. 2) - Far Cry 3: Classic Edition 

The International Day for the Abolition of Slavery is an annual holiday recognized by the United Nations in 1986, and celebrated every December 2nd. Observers use this day to commemorate the global struggle against slavery and its abolition. Far Cry 3: Classic Edition can be tied to this holiday due to its villains’ direct connection to human trafficking and slavery. There are quite a few moments where the protagonist - Jason Brody - literally saves prisoners sold as slaves. One of the main villains even boasts about his global enterprise of human and drug trafficking that is subsequently thwarted by a vengeful Brody. I think liberating 34 outposts littered with slavers and taking down an evil oppressor of innocent islanders is a fantastic way to observe this holiday.

As for the other dates, I haven’t concretely decided what I’ll be playing for each and will submit them as I go. 

• Like 1

Well, I completed The Walking Dead: The Final Season. There are some obvious choices I could use for that, such as Halloween or Day of the Dead (November 2), but I'd like to get my freebie out of the way. Don't want to make this event too easy on myself.

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-vitamin-c-day-april-4/

Now, I know what you're thinking. "What the hell does Vitamin C have to do with The Walking Dead?" Well, guys... The main character's name is Clementine.

I'm way too proud of myself for this one.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

Cook Something Bold And Pungent Day (Nov. 8) - Overcooked! All You Can Eat  

Pretty self-explanatory with this one. Overcooked! All You Can Eat has players teaming up to cook, bake, and combine a bunch of recipes, some of which can be considered bold or pungent to the less adventurous eaters out there.

National Fossil Day (Oct. 13) - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon 

National Fossil Day is a federally (US) recognized holiday celebrating all things fossils. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon has quite a few fossils to be found, especially when on the hunt for collectibles. They’re mostly in subterranean caves scattered across the map. 

• Like 1

Okay! Time for some updates! Firstly, congrats to @Cassylvania and @be_minor for completing more games! And, yes, @Cassylvania that was a very clever way to meet the holiday. It certainly made me smile and I applaud the creativity! ? The spreadsheet has been updated accordingly for both of you and the holidays added to the OP as necessary.

I've also gotten my first games on my board done. I decided to scrap my initial plan and try to place games as I complete them in the hopes that I can hopefully get two cards done for this event given how big my backlog is. So, my updated card is below, with my original bingo card at this LINK.

So, with that being said, I decided to go with Wordsweeper by POWGI (PS4) for Puzzle Day (Jan. 29th). The reasoning behind that is still the same as before. The game is a variant on a crossword puzzle game. I also decided to move Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4) to January 21st and use it to represent Barbados' Errol Barrow Day, which is an annual public holiday that honors Errol Barrow, the first Prime Minister of Barbados and a former lawyer as well. Telltale's first season of Batman works because Harvey Dent is both a D.A. (lawyer) and a politician, and he plays a major role in the game.

There's really not much to say about Wordsweeper. It was a standard POWGI release, and the puzzles were easily solved with a guide. But, I do admit that the last 15-ish of them were a slog to get through (you have to complete all 120 puzzles for the plat). I'll save my thoughts on Batman once I've actually finished the second season (which I'm intending to use for Oct. 30th) since the two seasons feel like one complete story to me, if that makes sense.

O

N

D

J

Holiday: Errol Barrow Day (January 21st)

Lba674d.png (:platinum:) Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)

Holiday: Puzzle Day (January 29th)

L775fb3.png

(:platinum:) Wordsweeper by POWGI (PS4)

Use a holiday primarily celebrated in Europe (Any month)

• Like 3

Alright, Spiritfarer is finished. No need to get cute with this holiday. I was one of the lucky ones to roll November 2, so...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Souls'_Day

Pretty good game. I left a sizable review for it on my checklist thread, but it fits the holiday because the game is all about comforting spirits in their final moments before ushering them on to the next life. Depressing concept, but presented in a beautiful and uplifting way. Very good hand-drawn animations too.

• Like 3

More updates! First @Cassylvania congrats on finishing Spiritfarer! Your review of the game, as well as realm's, were nice reads. It certainly sounds like the gameplay is a mix of genres and certainly a unique experience. I'm not able to buy any new additional games at this time (my backlog is too big). But, I'll add it to my watch list. I've also updated the event spreadsheet as appropriate.

-------------------------------------------------------

I also completed two more games this weekend. You can read my specific thoughts here. But, the holiday info for each game is below, with each holiday being listed on the main calendars found in the OP:

Zuma (PS3) - This fits Old Rock Day because the atmosphere of the game is based on what appears to be ancient Aztec or Mayan temples, and you have to match tribal inscribed colored rocks / ball-like gemstones to progress in the game.

Little Misfortune (PS4)  - This fits Nobel Prize Day because the Nobel Prize is given in Sweden and Norway, and the developer of Little Misfortune, Killmonday Games HB, are Sweedish.

O

N

D

J

Holiday: Errol Barrow Day (January 21st)

Lba674d.png

(:platinum:) Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)

Holiday: Puzzle Day (January 29th)

L775fb3.png

(:platinum:) Wordsweeper by POWGI (PS4)

Holiday: Nobel Prize Day (December 10th)

La40337.png

() Little Misfortune (PS4)

Holiday: Old Rock Day (January 7th)

L3ab48e.png

() Zuma (PS3)

Use a holiday primarily celebrated in Europe (Any month)

• Like 3