Best Class for Hardcore

lurch_9944

5 hours ago, Waxweazler said:

It just so happened that my HC character died. Instead of hitting "Continue" I closed the game to dashboard and my character was not erased. This happened on PS5.

*edit

It was/is an offline character.

I t ried this aswell with a new character to try it out. I didn't press continue. quitted to dashboard. Started game and the character is dead.
I even quitted the game to dashboard the moment I died and the char is dead

Tried it with auto save upload turned off:
A few times it worked, even stayed about 10 seconds on the continue screen and the char was still alive after quitting and restarting

I had a few autosaves before I died and when I started the game again the char was alive but no progress was made, no money, no items that I picked up and no exp earned, even though I had some autosaves.

And just now I tried again, did the same, but the char is dead.

So this is a bit of a hit and miss

Edited by Mr_Marty84
  • Like 1

On 27.9.2021 at 4:04 PM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

can you back up your save in hardcore, so if you die and that character gets locked out, you can just redownload your save from before and live on? also can you play that solo hc character in groups with people online aswel, or do you have to choose between solo and online play for the whole game.

Not sure about the save part, I'm just fast to quit game if I feel screwed, will check tho with a lower lvl toon, solo HC is ofline and you can't play with other ofliners/onliners, you had to choose a mode n live with it

1 minute ago, Nidarox said:

Not sure about the save part, I'm just fast to quit game if I feel screwed, will check tho with a lower lvl toon, solo HC is ofline and you can't play with other ofliners/onliners, you had to choose a mode n live with it

you can back up save in hc solo, not in MP as in MP your char is saved to blizzard servers. you can send items from SC to your HC characters through shared stash. so if you get people to play with, run some MF on a sorc or trapsin something with good clear speed, you could farm items, and dupe stuff with save scummage to gear up quickly, get an enigma and faceroll to 99. albeit quite slowly. as a paladin or something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

you can back up save in hc solo, not in MP as in MP your char is saved to blizzard servers. you can send items from SC to your HC characters through shared stash. so if you get people to play with, run some MF on a sorc or trapsin something with good clear speed, you could farm items, and dupe stuff with save scummage to gear up quickly, get an enigma and faceroll to 99. albeit quite slowly. as a paladin or something.

How is this done? I have both HC and SC chars on MP server, both level 70+ and they do not share stash space. 

Ive never actually hit 99 in all my years because of the repetitive runs involved in it

had a couple 97s then just went full pvp there on

paladins are the best character hands down, as they have the least immunes in the game giving them an upper hand but they have their disadvantages, ie hammerdins can be killed by a harmlesss layout of the map, too close to a wall or an object and it basically cancels out your attack making you a sitting duck, and theres lots of narrow paths that you cant avoid

Everyone wants to play sorceress for the teleport skill, bypassing the need for enigma but they are way too dainty and fragile, a glass cannon as they say, strong but their defenses are incredibly low, not to mention you need a fully decked out character including decked out mercenary to have a chance, and the only skill tree would be lighting with a mercenary rocking one of the hardest runewords in the game, infinity, so you can break opponents immunities against u because fire and cold cannot be broken with infinity

Summon necro is going to be my focus for the trophy and its not too expensive to make if you know going in what the gear you need is, albeit a much slower approach but this trophy is for those in it for the long haul boys and girls, so buckle up

Resurrect your army of the dead and have them do your bidding for you

• Like 1

On 29/09/2021 at 8:02 PM, Mr_Marty84 said:

I t ried this aswell with a new character to try it out. I didn't press continue. quitted to dashboard. Started game and the character is dead.
I even quitted the game to dashboard the moment I died and the char is dead

Tried it with auto save upload turned off:
A few times it worked, even stayed about 10 seconds on the continue screen and the char was still alive after quitting and restarting

I had a few autosaves before I died and when I started the game again the char was alive but no progress was made, no money, no items that I picked up and no exp earned, even though I had some autosaves.

And just now I tried again, did the same, but the char is dead.

So this is a bit of a hit and miss

It takes a few seconds for the game to update. It doesn't update EVERY second, so that's why it's hit and miss. If you die as the game updates your char will be dead, if you restart your game quickly you might get to keep your char. The same thing happens if your game crashes as you're mid fight.

You can cloud save single player chars, but not online ones as well.

It's not that hard to beat hell as a hardcore, you just need to be patient, not run past and aggro every mob in the game and spend time gearing up and playing it safe.
Wouldn't make an online char if you were going for the level 99 trophy though, it'll take a few thousand hours on console at best and isn't worth the risk when you can use cloud saves with an offline char.

4 hours ago, Deadvember said:

It takes a few seconds for the game to update. It doesn't update EVERY second, so that's why it's hit and miss. If you die as the game updates your char will be dead, if you restart your game quickly you might get to keep your char. The same thing happens if your game crashes as you're mid fight.

The auto save is a lot less predictable than that. I have tested this a dozen different ways. One time, I died and quit to dashboard, and when I came back I was 3 levels lower (I.e., I was back at my last hard save, which was about an hour earlier).

Lots of conflicting reports in here between necros being good and being bad. 

Who do I believe?! 

I started a paladin and am currently at level 14. It's extremely slow. 

I made an Amazon and the playstyle even with 2 skills unlocked at level 4 seems way better. 

I also always liked Druids and Necros in other games...guess I will just have to play around with everything.

57 minutes ago, GunfighterHefty said:

Lots of conflicting reports in here between necros being good and being bad. 

Not sure why people are saying necros are slow. I’m doing hell with my hardcore necro right now and I just melted Duriel in about 20 seconds. You need good equipment to be quick, but that’s true of every class.

2 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

Not sure why people are saying necros are slow. I’m doing hell with my hardcore necro right now and I just melted Duriel in about 20 seconds. You need good equipment to be quick, but that’s true of every class.

what kind of necro are you playing? my understanding of necros is summons are great but get clapped by bosses where as bonespear is really good for damage for necros?

31 minutes ago, lurch_9944 said:

what kind of necro are you playing? my understanding of necros is summons are great but get clapped by bosses where as bonespear is really good for damage for necros?

I’m a summonmancer. Just need lots of +skill equipment and equipment that produces damage-increasing auras (and the aura from the act 2 NM merc) and your skellies destroy everything and are basically invincible.  I just killed Hell Diablo for the first time and didn’t lose a single summon during the fight.

Edit: I use corpse explosion to help take out large groups quicker, but no bone spear.

Edited by NathanielJohn

22 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

I’m a summonmancer. Just need lots of +skill equipment and equipment that produces damage-increasing auras (and the aura from the act 2 NM merc) and your skellies destroy everything and are basically invincible.  I just killed Hell Diablo for the first time and didn’t lose a single summon during the fight.

Edit: I use corpse explosion to help take out large groups quicker, but no bone spear.

Hi Nathaniel, can I humbly ask how +- is your skill distribution? I read guide or two, but still not sure how I will aproach my necro.

20 points in raise skeleton (warrior) and 20 into skeleton mastery is nobrainer. But then there are some things which i thought would be different:

Do you use skeleton mages as well, and dump 20 points in them? Are they worth it? In past, as a child, I would play with full skelly party. But guides nowadays recommend Revival skill more.

Also, which golem do you use? Guides prefer first Clay Golem, probably for slow efect?

And later on, 20 points in corpse explosion (?). Also, whats yours preffered amount of points in Summon resist, for your army?

Edited by Broxym

24 minutes ago, Broxym said:

Hi Nathaniel, can I humbly ask how +- is your skill distribution? I read guide or two, but still not sure how I will aproach my necro.

Yep, 20 points in skellies and skelly mastery. 1 point in all of the obvious places (summon resist, decrepify). After those, 20 points in corpse explosion. Other than that it honestly doesn't matter much -- you can put 20 points in skelly mages if you like, but it won't help your end-game farming speed at all, nor will more points in monster revives (increasing that skill only gets you more summons, but doesn't make them stronger). As long as you have 5 or so mages then you are good (you want a cold-damage one and a poison-damage one to spawn when you make them, but other than that they won't do much useful other than be more bodies in the way of enemies).

Clay golem for 99% of the game (but just 1 point in it). However, once you get to the very end-game farm, switch to an iron golem created from a weapon with an aura, so you get an extra aura. Your leftover point can be spent on Golem Mastery to help it survive if you like.

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I currently host a few hell baal runs on my teleport barb, I've also created a hell baal run group and we have 50~ active players and am currently sitting at lvl 97.

I have seen more Necro's die in our runs than any other class, In fact more than 5 have died within the last few days, solo and in group. Our runs are pretty damn safe, so take that information for what you will.

I'm hopeful our only enigma wearing Necro @Solarus755 will make it though ?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PwNaGe_DaN said:

I currently host a few hell baal runs on my teleport barb, I've also created a hell baal run group and we have 50~ active players and am currently sitting at lvl 97.

I have seen more Necro's die in our runs than any other class, In fact more than 5 have died within the last few days, solo and in group. Our runs are pretty damn safe, so take that information for what you will.

I'm hopeful our only enigma wearing Necro @Solarus755 will make it though 1f601.png

Feels good to play without 6necros in group ??

• 5 months later...

All the characters I managed to get over lvl 80 were Necros, 

I play summ / bone spear hybrid and it seems to work just fine, Your kill speeds won't be the best but it is relatively save build to play, unless you do stupid stuff like teleport yourself into a middle of mob pack, like I did yesterday and got absolutely rect on lvl 86. 

PS: looking for peeps to do that stupid HC lvl 99 trophy.

• 1 month later...

I tried a Summoner Necro in HC and while mostly safe, they're still weak to a random unexpectedly strong group.  And they are terrible at taking down bosses with any efficiency.

I switched to a Fist of Heavens + Smiter Paladin (with maxed Holy Bolt) and it is really strong.  I found the Hammerdin spiral damage pattern just plain annoying & slow in tight quarters.  Once my FoH + Holy Bolt skills were maxxed, I did very little melee but just spammed FoH.  Any areas w/o demons don't work well with FoH, but the end game is all demon enemies.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2.10.2021 at 6:57 AM, Property_Damage said:

Summon necro is going to be my focus for the trophy and its not too expensive to make if you know going in what the gear you need is, albeit a much slower approach but this trophy is for those in it for the long haul boys and girls, so buckle up

Resurrect your army of the dead and have them do your bidding for you

How is it going? Did you finally hit level 99 with your summon necro? 

I wish the trophy would be softocre, I just can't stand hardcore lol 

Edited by Afura_33

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a singer barbarian. I did all characters on normal, and it felt the safest IMO...and might be great for what I think Terror Zones will be. 

You can buff yourself to double armor, health, mana, and stamina..boost skill levels and raise resistances. You can weaken foes to do half damage and halve their defense. You can leap in and out of trouble and knock-back any enemy where you land. The best thing though, War Cry does decent area damage and keeps everything around you stunned. In hell, you will run into physical immune...but you can just skip them or rely on the merc and spec into berserk for magic damage. Even though you can't damage them, you can still keep them stunned the whole time. I think some enemies can't be stunned, but it's very rare. If you pair up with one other person that does anything other than physical damage it's a great combo. You'll have to play it safe leveling up though, till you can respec. I pulled up that site that shows monster level per zone, and stayed in areas where I was at least one level over. It was slower xp, but I was afraid lag would get me killed. I'm half-way through Nightmare at level 50 HC, and everything just wilts while being stunned. After finishing normal, I farmed cows to get everything I needed and rushed my alt account to Larsuk twice to get 2 Spirit crystal swords and the Insight for the merc. Those items and maxed resistances really makes a difference...I won't start hell until I'm over-leveled and have max resistance again.

Edited by ThatDrunkGuy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13.9.2022 at 0:24 AM, ThatDrunkGuy said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a singer barbarian. I did all characters on normal, and it felt the safest IMO...and might be great for what I think Terror Zones will be. 

I agree singer barb is pretty nice and very safe and also doesn't need any expensive items. What level are you know? I am still thinking of going with werebear or werewolf once the ladder starts. 

I am surprised that noone mentions a werebear druid or werewolf druid, you can easily get 2-5k life as a werewolf and as a werebear you can even get 8-9k or even more and getting a crazy high defense value, I am not lying but werebear is literaly unkillable. Only downside with a werebear is that his kill speed is very very slow since he has only single target skills :( . The werewolf is faster in killing though cause he has fury which hits multiple targets and he has feral rage skill which gives him movement speed and life leech, however the werewolf has not so much defense so you will rely a lot on life leech and fury skill is not interruptible which means you can not stop yourself from hitting monsters until he animation is finished (it works like the zeal skill from the paladin). 

Edited by Afura_33

21 hours ago, Afura_33 said:

What level are you now?

81...taking it slow, a little every day. The damage isn't as good as some other classes, but it's super safe with almost 4k health and all the stuns. Even when I run into a few unique packs together, my health is rarely going down under half. I found a semi-good way to deal with physical immune also...I put the Rattlecage and Guillaume's Face on the merc for 60% Crushing Blow. There is probably better stuff to use, but this is what I've found and it works well.

Yeah, I liked the Druid too...but used the wind build. Also pretty safe...