Need help finding new JRPGs and RPGs in general.

Sunny

Hi guys, sorry if I posted in the wrong sub, I have always been a big fan of RPGs since the SNES and here on PSNprofiles I found quite a few really good gems but I think I ran out of ideas, can you guys advise me some good obscure RPGs? I have played plenty across the years and I love finding out about new franchises, can be on PS4 or PS5 as I'll be jumping gens soon, thanks so very much in advance.

5 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Hi guys, sorry if I posted in the wrong sub, I have always been a big fan of RPGs since the SNES and here on PSNprofiles I found quite a few really good gems but I think I ran out of ideas, can you guys advise me some good obscure RPGs? I have played plenty across the years and I love finding out about new franchises, can be on PS4 or PS5 as I'll be jumping gens soon, thanks so very much in advance.

Trails of Cold Steel 1-4 are pretty good

Summon Night 6 is decent

The Sword Art Online are pretty good, fatal bullet is the highlight imo

• Like 2

Lately been playing Kena: Bridge of Spirits, been enjoying it, has a nice Zelda-y feel to it.  More adventure genre then RPG though..

I have some JRPGs in my wishlist as well that look interesting and seem to have mostly good reviews.. Shiness The Lightning Kingdom, Tales of Astia and Lost Sphear were a few that caught my eye..

Also, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is worth it, especially if you never played it on PS3 back when it originally came out.

Hope that helps!

Lots of options, are available on both PS3 and PS4:

Blue Reflection

Child of Light

Cosmic Star Heroine

Crystar

Costume Quest 1 + 2

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Final Fantasy IX (awful trophy list though, if you care about completion)

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

I Am Setsuna

Persona 5 Royal

South Park: The Stick of Truth / The Fractured But Whole

Undertale

That should keep you busy for a bit.

• Like 1

Cris tales - Recently released FF inspired turn based RPG with a gorgeous artstyle 

Fell Seal: Arbiter's mark - SRPG absolute underrated game.

And i feel like CRPGs get overlooked often on consoles. Divinity original sin 2 being one of the best RPGs available today. Pathfinder kingmaker and pillars of eternity are also on consoles.

Edited by xZoneHunter

24 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Trails of Cold Steel 1-4 are pretty good

Summon Night 6 is decent

The Sword Art Online are pretty good, fatal bullet is the highlight imo

I have only heard of Trails it's from Falcom right? I love Ys, I'll put them on my list, Summon Night I have never even heard of will definitely take a look and the Sword Art games I have the very first one the port from the Vita, I never really took a better look because I never watched the anime so I thought I'd be lost.

26 minutes ago, JourneySilvers said:

Have you taken a look at the Atelier franchise? Not the most engaging stories if thats what you're after, but the combat is usually very good. Especially in post game. 

Forgive if I'm wrong but was the Atelier series on PS2? I have a feeling I played there before, thanks will check it out on PS4 I had no idea the series was still going if it's the one I remember.

21 minutes ago, felatio_deltoro said:

Lately been playing Kena: Bridge of Spirits, been enjoying it, has a nice Zelda-y feel to it.  More adventure genre then RPG though..

I have some JRPGs in my wishlist as well that look interesting and seem to have mostly good reviews.. Shiness The Lightning Kingdom, Tales of Astia and Lost Sphear were a few that caught my eye..

Also, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is worth it, especially if you never played it on PS3 back when it originally came out.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tip it does help, Kena I thought about saving it for PS5 because I have no idea how the PS4 version is but since it's a cross buy I'll check it out earlier than first intended Kingdoms of Amalur I played a lot on PS3 but didn't have a chance to pick it up now, will look the others you mentioned thanks again.

• Like 1

I've been playing through Nexomon Extinction and really digging it.  Just finished the main story after about 30 hours, but I went and caught a lot more mons than what I needed.  I have about 100 left to obtain through evolution or catching.  The first one was just released last week and is $10

12 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I have only heard of Trails it's from Falcom right? I love Ys, I'll put them on my list, Summon Night I have never even heard of will definitely take a look and the Sword Art games I have the very first one the port from the Vita, I never really took a better look because I never watched the anime so I thought I'd be lost.

Forgive if I'm wrong but was the Atelier series on PS2? I have a feeling I played there before, thanks will check it out on PS4 I had no idea the series was still going if it's the one I remember.

If you like Ys, one more game I can recommend is Tokyo Xanadu eX+. Another action jrpg from Falcom on top of The Legend of Heroes series mentioned above.

Persona 5

Valkyria Chronicles

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Trails of Cold Steel

Trails of Cold Steel II

Child of Light*

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Tales of Berseria

Tales of Arise

Yakuza 0

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

*isn't a JRPG in strict sense but it looks and plays like one.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, darkamdusias said:

Lots of options, are available on both PS3 and PS4:

Blue Reflection

Child of Light

Cosmic Star Heroine

Crystar

Costume Quest 1 + 2

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Final Fantasy IX (awful trophy list though, if you care about completion)

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

I Am Setsuna

Persona 5 Royal

South Park: The Stick of Truth / The Fractured But Whole

Undertale

That should keep you busy for a bit.

Thanks for the list I played quite a few of them but some of them I have never played, and you are right FFIX is one of my all time favorite I just platinum it after years I spent hours jumping rope and killing enemies without a script, man my sanity almost fled me for real.

Try Megadimension Neptunia VII or (VIIR, i think it's on sale right now but I may be wrong). I've never played any Neptunia games before and after this one I want more. It's cheesy, silly and funny if you like that kind of humor. A bit too much filler dialogue but again, it's usually pretty amusing so I didn't mind. Fun story with great combat, I was pleasantly surprised. 

Also not as grindy as people make it out to be. 

25 minutes ago, xZoneHunter said:

Cris tales - Recently released FF inspired turn based RPG with a gorgeous artstyle 

Fell Seal: Arbiter's mark - SRPG absolute underrated game.

And i feel like CRPGs get overlooked often on consoles. Divinity original sin 2 being one of the best RPGs available today. Pathfinder kingmaker and pillars of eternity are also on consoles.

Cris Tales I have seen a few videos and it does look interesting but Fell Seal I haven't even heard, and you are right Divinity is incredible I have only the first game and beating the game on the hardest difficulty and getting Sisters of Mercy is what is keeping me from the plat, I will eventually get to it because I really, really like it, thanks for your comment.

8 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

Tales of Berseria

The utmost person of culture ❤️

to add some more:
Tales Of Symphonia (Ps3)

Tales of Vesperia (Ps4)

Tales Of Xilia (Ps3)

Tales Of Xilia 2 (Ps3)

Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed (Ps3-4)

Dark Souls Remastered 

Dark Souls 3

Bloodborne

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Edited by XchocomanX

20 minutes ago, d3m0nd00d said:

You're in luck Sony is having a "Big in Japan" sale currently on the psn store. There is a ton of great titles on there worth picking up. https://store.playstation.com/en-us/category/b81cc589-d207-44dd-81ad-a63e15e05790/1

I checked it out a few days ago and got The Witch and Hundred Knight bundle, Aragami and Scarlet Grace, didn't know what to look for since most games that I knew of I have already bought but now I'll check again and burn some cash ( I shouldn't tho lol)

I just did a quick ctrl-F and don't think anyone has suggest Okage: Shadow King and I don't think you've done it. This is an early-life PS2 jrpg. It is awesome, I had a BLAST playing it. It's really funny, really charming, and the aesthetics are very unique. It's so stylized that I believe it's aged perfectly well despite how old it is. Check it out, and since it's a PS2 on PS4 game it's really cheap

• Like 4

Just now, Sunnyburrito said:

I checked it out a few days ago and got The Witch and Hundred Knight bundle, Aragami and Scarlet Grace, didn't know what to look for since most games that I knew of I have already bought but now I'll check again and burn some cash ( I shouldn't tho lol)

The Big in Japan sales are usually the worst for the wallet. I'd thread carefully lol

• Like 1

you could give kingdoms of amular a try either on ps3 or 4 or even get dragons dogma on ps4. Another game I can think of is any of the mass effect games or even Deus Ex either the ps3 or 4 one or even the first 1 that was on ps2. Another game I could think of is The Surge 1 or 2 or even Outward it is abit slow but fun with a friend and yeah.

10 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

Persona 5

Valkyria Chronicles

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Persona 5

Trails of Cold Steel

Trails of Cold Steel II

Child of Light*

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Tales of Berseria

Tales of Arise

Yakuza 0

*isn't a JRPG in strict sense but it looks and plays like one.

Thank you, I have platinum a few of the list and they are all great games, Ni No kuni I platinum on PS3 and PS4 I love it so much,never heard of 13 sentinels will take a look and I really want Tales of Arise as I'm a huge Tales fan but for whatever reason it's really expensive in my country just like Neo The Wolrd Ends With You, will wait for a reasonable price drop but will definitely get them, thanks again.