Chapter 5 Ending Crash

I am(was) playing on PS5 i got all the trophies except for completing chapter and game crashes all the time at the ending scene.

I am running a PS4 version of game btw. Wanted to plat Ps4 version than Ps5 but looks like its not going to happen yet.

The game had an update recently. Man i am dissapointed.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

i also had a crashing issue when i played the ps4 version a couple of weekends ago, but I was able to resume from the point it crashed as it was constantly auto-saving between the various cutscenes.  so if your able to load into the game, you could try just skipping all the cutscenes until you are able to make the final choice as the trophies would pop after the choice and on the cutscene right before the credits roll.  For some reason playing the ps4 version on ps5, the game cant keep up with how fast the ps5 is moving.

Wanted to chime in on this.

currently having to plug up, download the game, download the PS4 save to my old PS4, just to go through the final cutscene(s) for the game as it continuously crashed on me on PS5.

To clarify, if you’re playing the PS4 Version on PS5, you may experience crashes on PS5. If you still have access to your PS4, you may have to use that to bypass the issue, or wait for possible fix from developers.  

• Like 2

I'm having the same problem. I play on PS4, my game version is the deluxe edition for both PS4 and PS5 (I only own a PS4).

I also have ps+ so I tried deleting saves and importing them to the cloud, reinstalling the game, importing the saves back and the problem is still there. I even tried replaying the last part of the 5th chapter before the final cutscene and it still did nothing. It keeps crashing in the exact same place during the final cutscene. I really hope they patch it because at this point I'm starting to hate the game after having to go through this so many times and not being able to skip dialogue. 

That one missing trophy is really bothering me. I think it only pops up after the final cutscene on PS4 so I guess I'll suffer.

I might try replaying the whole chapter 5 at some point but I suspect it won't fix it either.

Edited by BlahberryPancake

finished the platinum today. had to switch to ps4 with cloud upload, it didnt took long because it was last Scene in the game.

weird ass glitch crash if you ask me, says a lot about such developers that dont test games/patches properly

before putting them online, btw they charge Full price for this game which ridiculous.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alucard_Lviv said:

finished the platinum today. had to switch to ps4 with cloud upload, it didnt took long because it was last Scene in the game.

weird ass glitch crash if you ask me, says a lot about such developers that dont test games/patches properly

before putting them online, btw they charge Full price for this game which ridiculous.

The game worked fine before. bunch of people including me got platinums for PS4 and PS5 versions.  it seems to be a new patch that broke something. No need to be salty about FuLl pRiCe GaMe!!!111, noone forced you to buy it at full price, Glitches happen, the game worked like a charm before that patch, so it seemed to be throughouly tested. 

Running PS4 verison 1.04 on a base PS4, the game just crashed for me during the cutscene on the rooftop, at the "this town changed you as much as you changed it" line. 

Continuing picks up at the start of the rooftop cutscene. 

I tried both choice options at the start of the cutscene just in case, but that didn't make a difference. Each time it crashes at the same line. 

I think I just downloaded the 1.04 update earlier today, so my save file likely originated from version 1.03 over the weekend. I also have the Wavelengths DLC downloaded. 

Currently uninstalling and reinstalling without the DLC and seeing if that makes a difference (I doubt it though). 

Nope, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game without the DLC, and it's still crashing on that line.

The only weird thing now is the "Update History" now reads Version 1.01, but the application "Information" reads Version 1.04.

Edited by Holonboy

Mine did the same thing twice on my PS5 during the boring dialogue on the roof with Gabe. Crashed in the middle of the dialogue. I had to save my file to the cloud, and then load it up off the cloud onto the PS4. It worked fine then. Serious pain though. And what about people who do not have a PS4? There is no way to get past that glitch. I tried twice. 

Edited by sealightbreeze

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2021 at 2:51 AM, Holonboy said:

Running PS4 verison 1.04 on a base PS4, the game just crashed for me during the cutscene on the rooftop, at the "this town changed you as much as you changed it" line. 

I tried both choice options at the start of the cutscene just in case, but that didn't make a difference. Each time it crashes at the same line. 

I think I just downloaded the 1.04 update earlier today, so my save file likely originated from version 1.03 over the weekend. I also have the Wavelengths DLC downloaded. 

Currently uninstalling and reinstalling without the DLC and seeing if that makes a difference (I doubt it though). 

Nope, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game without the DLC, and it's still crashing on that line.

The only weird thing now is the "Update History" now reads Version 1.01, but the application "Information" reads Version 1.04.

That's the part where it keeps crashing on me too. Do you know if I were to delete the patch and play until the end unpatched whether it works?

I'm still having that problem on PS4. It keeps crashing in the same place. I wanted to play the DLC but it won't let me because I haven't finished the main game because of that crash. I really have no idea what to do anymore. I replayed the part before the final scene a few times, trying to see if maybe I can get a different ending but it doesn't work and the boring last cutscene is still the same and crashes every time. I'm seriously so sick of this game right now because of this. 

I keep checking for an update but there's none. I hoped it would fix after installing the dlc but nope. 

Again, I'm thinking about replaying the whole of the last chapter but not being able to skip dialogue and cutscenes would make it infuriating. I reported the problem like 5 times already after some crashes. I hope a patch comes out or this game will seriously stay ruined for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6.10.2021 at 4:51 AM, Holonboy said:

I've got exactly the same problem (except I'm playing on PS4 Pro), the game always crashes at that same point in the final cutscene preventing me from completing the game.  I've now tried it three times. Also update history shows version 1.01 and application information shows version 1.04.

I had no problems with the PS5 version of the game when I played it earlier.

Edit: I was now able to finish the game. What I did was transfer the game from the external drive to the internal one and then for some reason it didn't crash during the cutscene. I also tried installing and playing the game on my PS5 with the downloaded cloud save but that didn't work.

Edited by Janire1911

On 11/12/2021 at 0:45 PM, Janire1911 said:

I've got exactly the same problem (except I'm playing on PS4 Pro), the game always crashes at that same point in the final cutscene preventing me from completing the game.  I've now tried it three times. Also update history shows version 1.01 and application information shows version 1.04.

I had no problems with the PS5 version of the game when I played it earlier.

Edit: I was now able to finish the game. What I did was transfer the game from the external drive to the internal one and then for some reason it didn't crash during the cutscene. I also tried installing and playing the game on my PS5 with the downloaded cloud save but that didn't work.

When you say you transferred the game from the external drive to the internal one, was that on your PS4 Pro or PS5?

I don't have an external drive, but I'm curious if once I'm able to get a PS5, the PS4 version of the game would work without crashing on a PS5. 

I know there are issues with the PS4 version running on PS5, but I'm not sure if that's the same or a separate issue as the PS4 version crashing on an actual base PS4 (no external drive, using an internal SSD). 

Edit: My bad, I re-read the second half of your edit and that literally answered my question, haha. 

Guess I'm waiting for a patch then....

Edited by Holonboy

2 hours ago, Holonboy said:

When you say you transferred the game from the external drive to the internal one, was that on your PS4 Pro or PS5?

I don't have an external drive, but I'm curious if once I'm able to get a PS5, the PS4 version of the game would work without crashing on a PS5. 

I know there are issues with the PS4 version running on PS5, but I'm not sure if that's the same or a separate issue as the PS4 version crashing on an actual base PS4 (no external drive, using an internal SSD). 

Edit: My bad, I re-read the second half of your edit and that literally answered my question, haha. 

Guess I'm waiting for a patch then....

Yeah, it was on my PS4. I read somewhere, might have been on an official Square Enix help page, that deleting the game, installing another game and then re-installing Life is Strange might help as that would force the system to physically install the game on a different area of the hard drive. I have no idea why or how that would help but I thought surely transferring the game to another drive would accomplish the same thing so I tried that as I didn't want to download everything again and to my surprise it actually did work.

I just remembered that I also downloaded and installed the two Alex Outfit Pack DLCs again, can't remember if it was before or after I transferred the game though but that might also have been what helped.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.11.2021 at 3:15 AM, PS_Superior_ said:

My game keeps crashing at the final cut scene is there a fix for this? Please help 

What seems to work is moving the game to the internal or external drive and playing it from there if you have two drives. At least this is what worked for me and for the poster above. If you only have one drive than you could try to uninstall the game, install another game and then reinstall Life is Strange.