Chapter 5 Ending Crash

Thanks for all the tips. My wife has had this problem today (PS4 Slim, internal SSD, digital version of the game from PS+, 1.07), the game was crashing every time at the end of one of the final cutscenes. She isn't exactly a platinum chaser, but she liked the game a lot and the plat is very easy to obtain, so she was pretty upset when this happened. 

1. I tried lowering the quality of video, turning off HDR to no avail.

2. Deleted/Reinstalled the game and tried streamed version (PS+) - still was crashing (to my surprise). 

3. In a last-ditch effort, found some HDD at home, used it as an external drive for PS4 (Extended Storage) and moved the game there. Just in case used "1080p / No HDR" video output settings as was many times suggested in this thread. And only after this it finally worked and the game didn't crash during the final cutscenes, the trophy popped.

(By the way, before I moved the game to the external drive I had used "1080p / No HDR" video output settings, but it didn't work. )

As far as I understand the game is solid, if you like this kind of games (didn't play it myself though), but such weird bugs are rather upsetting, when you have to spend hours trying to find a workaround. Although the platinum was obtained, the aftertaste was a bit sour so we decided not to buy the DLC.

Ran into this tonight when finishing the PS4 version on my PS5, but luckily switching my video settings to 1080p fixed it so that I could complete the chapter. There must be something wrong with the cutscene clip they show after the spot when it crashes, maybe the devs didn’t upscale it or whatever and that causes it to crash at higher resolutions on PS5. Also bad that they still haven’t fixed it considering that it’s been a problem for a while. Less than ideal for Sony to have a game available on PS+ Extra that potentially can’t be completed due to silly bugs like this. At least there’s a workaround that seems to help.

• 1 month later...

Another one here… Playing on base PS4, digital version that was recently offered on PS+. Always crashing at the same point on ending cutscene (Alex and Steph concert at Haven). Tried everything, nothing fixes it. Around 10+ times and it’s always the same. I just lost all hope of getting the platinum, which is literally 1 minute of cutscene away. Really frustrating, I deleted the game and moved on. I guess I’ll try again some time in the future, but it’s really infuriating to see this was never fixed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's just happened to me too.  Crashed 3 times at the same place, while playing the PS+ Extra digital version on PS4.  I'll try shifting it to the internal HDD and see if that solves the problem.

EDIT: Yep, that fixed it.  Moving to the internal HDD fixed the problem straight away.

Edited by StewartBros

The PS4 version of game crashed for me as well, both on PS5 and PS4.

I tried everything suggested here and on the official Square Enix troubleshooting guide and nothing worked.

My PS4 has an internal SSD and I have a physical copy of the game.

What worked for me was moving the game to an external HDD.

The cutscene stuttered at the crash point and then the following frames were corrupted, but upon going back to the menu and retrying, the cutscene worked and I got the Platinum.

Hope this helps

Edited by Yatterman
typo and clarification of game type

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Awesome bug feature. (it's gotta be, since it's still not fixed at this point)

Happened to me playing the PS4 version on the PS5 on current patch. Changing video options like down to 720p or 1080p and toggling HDR off didn't help, but moving the game onto an external HDD resolved the issue.

Good times.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 11:07 PM, Dooleh_404 said:

I platinumed it on the PS5, internal SSD. Crashed twice first, then tried streaming it from the PS5 via PS+ premium which I am never paying for again, tried streaming it from PC after the stream from the PS5 crashed, no dice...

Turned off VRR, set 720p, turned off HDR, DONE!!1

Thanks for this, I had exactly the same setup:

PS4 version installed on the internal SSD of the PS5 gave a crash.

Fixed by: Turning off VRR, turning off HDR and output to 720p.