Are we supposed to be using the game mode setting on our TV when console gaming?

Cryogenicide_X

I'm asking this as I've never ever in my life used the game mode setting on my TV when console gaming. I don't know everything about it but from what I've heard people say, you should be using it. I heard though that using it lowers game graphics though? 

I took a look at it on my TV and there's a whole ton of new settings and advance settings like sharpness etc, I may just leave my TV alone. I have no idea what all these setting should be set to?

So my question is, do you guys use the game mode setting on your TV? It'd be interesting to know if most people do or not. 

Everyone should be using game mode on their TV when gaming. It lowers input latency, AKA the time it takes for controller inputs to register on screen. Usually it does this by disabling some fancy post-processing effects your TV may have, but the faster response time more than makes up for it. Feels way better to play.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Everyone should be using game mode on their TV when gaming. It lowers input latency, AKA the time it takes for controller inputs to register on screen. Usually it does this by disabling some fancy post-processing effects your TV may have, but the faster response time more than makes up for it. Feels way better to play.

Well I was thinking about trying it but it then gives me a ton of settings through turning it on. I don't know what it's all meant to be set to?

PS4, no I’ve never had to. But it’s plugged into receiver first so that might be why.

PS5 directly plugged into 4K TV, yes the sound was way off and had to put it on game mode. Do not notice a difference in visuals at all.

I think it mainly depends on your setup but I don’t see anything negative about game mode tbh.

You should absolutely use Game Mode on your TV when gaming. On my LG CX OLED I once accidentally turned off Game Mode (apparently using Bluetooth headphones with the TV disables Game Mode) and the input lag was terrible. I've never been sensitive to input lag but the difference with Game Mode off was immediately apparent to me and the game felt almost unplayable.

Edited by Janire1911

12 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Well I was thinking about trying it but it then gives me a ton of settings through turning it on. I don't know what it's all meant to be set to?

Hard to say when I'm not familiar with the TV you're using. Just setting the input to game mode should be enough though as it will probably adjust those settings automatically.

1 minute ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I know this might sound silly guys but your all talking about lag, I've never honestly noticed lol 1f606.png 

And I've been gaming over 20 years. 

It also depends on the TV you have, some TVs might have decent input lag even when not using game mode. I'd still recommend trying game mode and seeing if it makes a difference. IIRC on my TV the input lag with game made on is about 10ms and with it disabled it goes to over 100ms and that's definitely noticeable to me.

I HAVE to use Game Mode. I love my TV (43" LG 4KTV), but it's absolutely atrocious at gaming outside of Game Mode. I even got a PS2 recently and that's even worse than PS4/5 with it's input lag.

The thing to remember is that even with Game mode, if you fiddle with other settings you can get it looking as good as you want it to. It's not like Game mode is turning down resolution or anything, it's just removing certain settings a console doesn't really need anyways. 

23 minutes ago, Viper said:

I HAVE to use Game Mode. I love my TV (43" LG 4KTV), but it's absolutely atrocious at gaming outside of Game Mode. I even got a PS2 recently and that's even worse than PS4/5 with it's input lag.

The thing to remember is that even with Game mode, if you fiddle with other settings you can get it looking as good as you want it to. It's not like Game mode is turning down resolution or anything, it's just removing certain settings a console doesn't really need anyways. 

Yeah my TV is a LG 4K TV. 

19 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

In the case of my monitor, certain custom settings were superior to game mode overall.

This! ?

I've also been using monitor for console gaming for a few years now. In my case, game mode makes the image worse -- I don't use it. Instead, I turned off some "fancy" settings on it, such as gamma correction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Call me a stick in the mud, but no.

Both my old (2013?) and my new (2021) TV have a game mode, but this either switches on automatically (and without notice) or it has been on since its initial setup.

I use my TV as a monitor for my PC too (wireless peripherals yay!) and I experience NO significant input lag, or any lag at all. I also benefit from motion compensation (frame insertion to upgrade 30/60FPS to 100FPS) for very smooth video/gameplay. So if there is any lag, then it'll be 1 frame at worst which is perfectly fine.

My usual sources (PC/console) remove the need for sharpness, MPEG artifact reduction, noise reduction, color compensation, all that jazz.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 7:52 AM, Cryogenicide_X said:

Maybe because it's Sony. 

Nah, It's because I'm soooooo damn good at gaming I don't need any help, it's the same on my Samsung.

XBSX now has auto latency mode and really it's shite, It Automatically switched and went back to 60hz and the color. As for the PS5 it isn't there yet even after the tv's firmware update. However it has an auto HDR mode that doesn't work properly, I think Sony are working from home and by working I mean watching cooking shows now that Ellen has gone. Sony claim this model was made for the PS5 yet it only auto switched on the XBSX.

In conclusion, Game mode = a washed out screen and no gain for me, most tv's are different so trial and error. On my Hisense it really did improve. I mean try this mode and great if it works.