Trophy Thoughts?

Thephoenixshow

I'm hella confused now when googling. Does nightmare unlock on easy or not. I don't want 3 playthroughs tbh :P

Edit: //

I think I found the answer on my own question.

From official website: https://www.alanwake.com/story/faq/

Does Alan Wake Remastered come with difficulty settings? 

Alan Wake Remastered comes with the same difficulty settings as the original Alan Wake. The three selectable difficulty settings (Easy, Normal, and Nightmare) determine enemy spawns, enemy health, ammo drops and health regeneration.  

Nightmare difficulty will only unlock after the game is completed once. 

It doesn't mention finishing on normal is mandatory so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed while doing a first run on easy.

Edited by Deluziion90

2 hours ago, Creasy007 said:

I haven't played this in ages so I can't recall if Nightmare mode was way too damn hard to complete for me or not. 

You can cheese the hell out of it, it's very easy. It's only difficult if you choose to fight infinite spawn areas when you don't need to.

2 hours ago, Deluziion90 said:

I'm hella confused now when googling. Does nightmare unlock on easy or not. I don't want 3 playthroughs tbh :P

Edit: //

I think I found the answer on my own question.

From official website: https://www.alanwake.com/story/faq/

Does Alan Wake Remastered come with difficulty settings? 

Alan Wake Remastered comes with the same difficulty settings as the original Alan Wake. The three selectable difficulty settings (Easy, Normal, and Nightmare) determine enemy spawns, enemy health, ammo drops and health regeneration.  

Nightmare difficulty will only unlock after the game is completed once. 

It doesn't mention finishing on normal is mandatory so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed while doing a first run on easy.

It definitely unlocks after 1 single playthrough regardless of difficulty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wahisietel_ said:

You can cheese the hell out of it, it's very easy. It's only difficult if you choose to fight infinite spawn areas when you don't need to.

It definitely unlocks after 1 single playthrough regardless of difficulty. 

Thanks for confirming. What cheese you talking about? Any tips?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deluziion90 said:

Thanks for confirming. What cheese you talking about? Any tips?

He means running past almost every encounter(thx to the op dodge). In this game your only required to fight around 10% or so of the game.

And if you get surrounded just thow a flashbang to melt enemies. 

9 hours ago, VeldinX said:

Nope. Amazingly, they actually made the effort to create two different images for the platinums! 

Yeah, it’s pretty wild that they put in the effort. They could have just used the same or created something that didn’t resemble a Plat like they did for Control.

I'm slightly confused about the wording of "Picking up After Yourself". The original game's difficultes were Normal, Hard and Nightmare as opposed to the remastered's (and PC version's) Easy, Normal and Nightmare. So are the trophy's requirements (collect all manuscripts in Normal mode) the same as the original achievement's or would I have to restart the game on Normal difficulty (remastered) because I've already started on easy difficulty? Or am I just overthinking this and "Normal mode" just means "not Nightmare"?

Edited by advokata1

Is there cross save between PS4 and ps5?

I’d rather play PS5 first, then if I enjoy I will play it again on PS4. But it not I’ll autopop after an hour or so, so it doesn’t count as my fastest ever platinum. 
I just don’t like seeing the fastest platinum as an autopop :) 

16 hours ago, advokata1 said:

I'm slightly confused about the wording of "Picking up After Yourself". The original game's difficultes were Normal, Hard and Nightmare as opposed to the remastered's (and PC version's) Easy, Normal and Nightmare. So are the trophy's requirements (collect all manuscripts in Normal mode) the same as the original achievement's or would I have to restart the game on Normal difficulty (remastered) because I've already started on easy difficulty? Or am I just overthinking this and "Normal mode" just means "not Nightmare"?

You can collect them on easy. I got the "normal" trophy an hour ago

• Like 1

Just about to finish The Writer for my 100% on the PS4 version; has anyone imported their PS4 save over to the PS5 version yet, and if so does it autopop everything? Just looking for some confirmation since I haven't really seen any mention of trophies autopopping with the complete save transfer.

EDIT: Imported my 100% + DLC PS4 save over to PS5 with everything filled out and nothing popped. Not sure if there is a way to trigger the trophies popping again with a complete save.

Edited by IKARUS-M1

• 1 year later...

Time to 100%: 22 hours, following this walkthrough.

Difficulty: 4.5/10.

Regarding the main game, there's nothing terribly challenging to overcome. Nightmare mode is simple enough if you smartly sprint past enemies whenever possible, periodically turning around to stun pursuers via a quick flashlight boost anytime Alan's stamina is exhausted, which is irritatingly often (this guy really needs to get away from his writing desk and exercise occasionally). Of course, using flares makes evading groups of them even easier, and you'll usually have plenty to spare.

Sometimes combat is unavoidable, but if you preserve some flare gun shots (very strong), hunting rifle or pump shotgun ammo, and a few flashbangs, the forced encounters are largely trivial. As for the specific chapter trophies, they're fairly easy, as well. The only one I required more than one attempt for was "Meet the Deadline," but I earned it without trying during my Nightmare run. Way too many collectibles for my liking, though, and I could surely do without those clunky driving bits.

However, the DLC is another story, due to the deathless playthrough trophies. On my PS4 Pro at least, The Signal tended to crash during the ending cinematic, robbing me of "Run-On Sentence" (this happened twice). How I loved having my time wasted by this nonsense! Now, I'm not certain which of these solutions actually made a difference, but here are all the measures I took to avoid the dreaded freeze, finally unlocking the trophy:

-Restarted the console.

-Turned off boost mode.

-Disabled my network connection.

-Before the final sequence, I allowed the entire photography scene between Alan and Alice to play out, rather than rushing ahead as usual.

-Paused to let the game load at certain intervals, especially after each stage of the final battle against possessed objects. Basically, I left it on pause until my PS4 stopped sounding like a jet engine, which typically took around a minute.

-Mashed circle to quickly skip the ending scene.

On the other hand, The Writer was quite stable, but their asinine insistence on including platforming sections in a janky, third-person horror game was a significant hindrance to my success. I fell to my death while traversing the tornado segment more than I'd care to admit, since Alan often continued making several steps forward after a jump, with no input from me. Apparently, he can also lose momentum in the air, as if he hit an invisible wall, causing him to plunge straight down. Furthermore, because sprint and dodge are mapped to the same button, it's necessary leave ample space between Alan and the edge before initiating a run-up, or he can pointlessly dodge himself right off the ledge, it seems. So stupid!

For me, the key to making it through consistently was to wait for those bridge platforms (metal walkways with railings) to arrive, and only leap onto them when the railing was facing away from me, which prevented Alan from strolling off the walkway like a moron. Don't even bother trying to use the other platform types! You'd think the school bus roof would be wide enough for safety, but Alan will nevertheless find a way to kill himself half of the time.

A fun game overall, but I'm rather glad it's over. At least I'm properly prepared for the sequel now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Decided to take this out of the backlog in preparation for the sequel (which looks really good). I was told this was “janky” but was pleasantly surprised how well this cult classic holds up for a 2010 game. Granted, it's a remaster but by all accounts it plays exactly like the original.

The story is silly but self-aware in its silliness and using light to break the enemy’s armour before being able to kill them is a fun concept.  Each episode is well paced (without collectibles). The environmental design is really impressive in how organic it feels, yet there's just enough nudging baked into the level design that you never get lost on the main path. You hear that, modern game devs? Turns out players can figure out where to go without putting yellow paint on everything! In fact, the only time you see yellow paint in this game is when it’s illuminated by your light for the treasure chests and, even then, there’s an in-lore reason for this.

The trophy list is decent and, like Control, most will come naturally. The collectibles are probably the worst thing about it - at least when if you play blind on your first playthrough like I did. There's a lot of open space surrounding the critical path so searching around for collectibles without a guide often took far too long. To make matters worse, there are sections where enemies will continuously respawn if you loiter. My advice would be to just ignore collectibles altogether if you're not using a guide and only actively search for treasure boxes and manuscripts, since they provide actual gameplay benefits. The coffee thermos collectible is a nice writer’s joke but they were often stupidly placed. The can pyramids made even less sense from a gameplay perspective.

Nightmare mode is easy when you've already done a run on Normal mode, and it was actually my favourite playthrough.  In fact, the main way you'll die on Nightmare is by being stingy with your ammo. The game is extremely generous with resources on all difficulties (despite reports claiming Nightmare gives you less, it doesn’t) so hoarding because you “might need it later” will just get you killed unnecessarily. Enemies take more hits on this mode but that's not a problem when you're avoiding half of them. The key is knowing when fight or flight is best and, in that regard, it started to make total sense why Alan runs like an 80-year-old chain-smoker. His low stamina teaches you button discipline, in this case, when and when not to sprint.

As for the 100%, that was also OK with the exception of one terrible trophy.  And no, it’s not No Punctuation. I was led to believe this was the hardest trophy but I got it on my first go on Normal difficulty. Now, admittedly, I did use a guide about halfway through The Writer but that’s only because the run was going so well that I didn’t want to mess it up so far in.  That said, even if I hadn’t used a guide I think I would have at least nailed it on my second go, tops. Unlike the first DLC, The Writer almost feels like it was made with the deathless trophy in mind (although, perhaps, it suffers for it because it’s definitely more bland than The Signal).

I also heard that this DLC “swarms you with enemies that can two shot you!” 

Yes, but you get seemingly infinite light sources during every enemy encounter and at one point the game basically hands you 20 flares. Even the final boss seemed to have infinite resources, and I got Iron Will without even knowing that was a trophy requirement…it’s a non issue. The infamous platforming sections I heard about are also completely fine if you simply take it slow. Never had a problem with Alan’s movement here. For instance, on the tornado section, if you jump on one of the walkway bridges and stay there it will carry you exactly to where you need to go. No need to hop on anything else.

Unfortunately, the same praise can’t be given to Run on Sentence which is actually the worst trophy in the game. In fairness, The Signal is an overall more interesting DLC but this trophy is completely inappropriate for it. There are so many opportunities for cheap deaths throughout that even knowing the enemy spawns and playing on Easy doesn’t help much because RNG can screw you over. The level design is far more enclosed with hazards all over the place which means if you don't have flares on certain sections, good luck. 

The end boss fight is laughably ill balanced. If you don’t have any flare gun ammo it’s damn near impossible - I learned that the hard way on my first run on Normal where it took me an embarrassing amount of tries to defeat it.  But with a flare gun that same boss fight becomes a joke. 

As you might have guessed, you really have to conserve ammo in this particular DLC (less so, The Writer). I think I grew too comfortable with how the base game just vomited resources at every checkpoint, and so I was blindsided when this was not the case with The Signal. Without treasure boxes and ammo stashes to rely on, you’ve got to work with the very little the game gives you on the critical path. Using your best stuff too liberally will set you up for failure later on. 

Anyway, Run on Sentence aside, it was overall a really fun game and I’m glad I got round to it. Apparently, Remedy claims you don’t need to have played this one to “get” Alan Wake 2 but I would still recommend playing it just for how good of an experience it is in its own right.

• Like 1