Grinding Gold and Gears?

reddlotus_

On 05/10/2021 at 10:35 AM, xIRockyRock said:

The fastest way to achieve the platinum is probably:

For Coins:

- Boost MP Sessions until you reach 25k on your bank.

- Make a cloud save

-Open boxes for all your Gold (50).

-Sell everything you got and buy new boxes.

-Repeat until you eventually reach 100k in total 

-Load cloud save

For Gears:

-You start again with 25k Gold

-Make cloud save

-Open a box 

-If it’s a treasure car dismantle for 500 gears and make a new save

-If it’s not a treasure car; reload your save

-Repeat until you dismantled 50 treasure cars = 25k gears.

Does this method work?

31 minutes ago, iMMortaaL_BR said:

Does this method work?

Yes, it works but it is really boring. I have achieved the 100k Gold trophy and i am sitting on 13k gears (20k Gold left) but stopped for now because of Far Cry 6.

Edited by xIRockyRock

On 05/10/2021 at 3:39 PM, yowzagabowza said:

I'm sure the people responsible for the currency system, trophies, dlc, and the whole game intended you to be playing it for more than a week : )

So it's not the grind that needs to change, it's our mindset going in. 

I also fully expect MTX to be implemented at some point. The game is set up perfectly to take advantage of them. They've already decided to charge $90 for an Ultimate Edition that doesn't even have all the dlc included so I'm not putting anything past them. 

I'll be waiting for a price drop and to see if any trophies get added later.

Yeah MTX will be coming I'm fairly sure of it. more games no are launching with no MTX whilst the review scores come in and then add them at a later date. Look at Crash Team Racing as a case for case example.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 5:39 PM, yowzagabowza said:

I'm sure the people responsible for the currency system, trophies, dlc, and the whole game intended you to be playing it for more than a week : )

Pretty much this. Decided to have the multiplayer trophies out of the way early into the game, just in case, (thank you, community!) but those gold/gear goals certainly seem excessive, whether boosting or not. The single player campaign feels like a few days of fun at most but those ultra grindy goals? Just plain ridiculous. Maybe eventually, after a few months or years of sporadic, casual perseverance but just mindlessly grinding for them for hours or days? Life's too short for that kind of nonsense.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 3:39 PM, yowzagabowza said:

Of course that's it... And people need to understand that, cause they won't change the currency system. The "Only" cars people are able to buy with in-game currency are the one's launched in the base game, everything else is sold separately or passes. They expect you to buy season passes to keep on playing, to get more coins and unlock other cars to upgrade. If they increase the amount of coins you earn per race, you will be able to buy and upgrade everything, making all future events pointless.

I'd wouldn't say "never" because... Crash Team Racing. A lot of grinding at the game's launch and then: "micro transactions" + prices increased per item. 

On 05/10/2021 at 2:35 PM, xIRockyRock said:

For Gears:

-Make cloud save

-Open a box 

You sound like "Super Treasure Hunt" cars pop up like in a few tries... Or you actually had a very very very lucky RNG to suggest such thing. Or I'm missing something, completely out of my comprehension. 

I had to reload my save countless times to get a rare or legendary car. Never got a STH car in my first try.

To close the game, reload my save, reboot the game and try again - I'll waste a Full minute on PS4 Pro. If I play 10 races online (10 min) gives me, at least 50 gear. With 40 races, I get the 200 gears... Which in my case, considering the amount of HOURS I spent with loading and reloading saves and no STH car, those 40 minutes were pointless.

Edited by TurtlePM

Whether you're hrinding online races 24/7 or save scumming for good cars, its going to take a really long time. We either do one of 2 methods or wait for the seasons yo come out jn the hopes of getting more than 50 gears every 6 years. 25k coins seems like the sweet spot to grab enough cars to hit 25k gears, assuming you've also saved all your boxes from the campaign. The game is short enough that resetting your save isn't the worst thing you can do to ensure an easier time later.

80+ hours in and I've done a fair amount of grinding with a partner to collect maximum coins/gears, most of that 80+ hours was of course multiplayer and yet still I am a long long way from 25,000 gears. I've only kept three cars that I could've destroyed.

I did do the save scum for the coins trophy but the gears one is just impossible in the 40 hr estimate the guide says.

Mind you I do have the Snoopy car so I've got that going for me.

• Like 2

Idling sucks for others, but it's really the best way to do this trophy unless you can grind for more than a few hours a day with a boosting partner. The person I met for boosting could only do an hour or two a day so it made it a slog. Idled every night and it took me something like 10-12 days of grinding. I would earn 5-10k per day of boosting and depending on if the lobby shut down halfway through the night, sometimes up to 6k idling. Don't even try getting the coins through regular races. There's a reason every lobby is full of idlers.

Besides that, biggest piece of advice I can give is: never sell your cars. You do not need gold. Ever. By my calculations it would take at least 100k gold to get 25k gears anyway. It's much easier to get gold than gears with boxes anyway. What you want to do is upgrade commons and then dismantle them - since upgrading a common costs 200 gears, and adds 50 to the car's value (as opposed to 500 and 100 for rares), it basically means for every gear you earn you get 25% more - of course that stacks, so it's realistically 25% of 25% of 25%, etc. Probably like 33% more overall.

At 500 coins for a single box, which will likely give you a common that dismantles for 50 gears, that translates to a 10:1 coin to gear ratio. Based on that, if you were starting from scratch, you would likely need to earn 200k coins (keeping in mind the upgrade + dismantle loop) to earn 25k from scratch. Luckily the campaign gives you a fair amount of gears, and sometimes you get lucky with STH cars which are worth 500 - I lost count but I probably got something like 5. Not worth save scumming for IMO. I ended up getting 100k coins on the same day I got 25k gears, but you'll probably earn the coins much sooner than the gears.

Anyway, hopefully the passes make the grind more bearable. This game's reward system is a mess - the game feels very sparse overall. Never play games at launch, folks!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TurtlePM said:

Of course that's it... And people need to understand that, cause they won't change the currency system. The "Only" cars people are able to buy with in-game currency are the one's launched in the base game, everything else is sold separately or passes. They expect you to buy season passes to keep on playing, to get more coins and unlock other cars to upgrade. If they increase the amount of coins you earn per race, you will be able to buy and upgrade everything, making all future events pointless.

I'd wouldn't say "never" because... Crash Team Racing. A lot of grinding at the game's launch and then: "micro transactions" + prices increased per item. 

You sound like "Super Treasure Hunt" cars pop up like in a few tries... Or you actually had a very very very lucky RNG to suggest such thing. Or I'm missing something, completely out of my comprehension. 

I had to reload my save countless times to get a rare or legendary car. Never got a STH car in my first try.

To close the game, reload my save, reboot the game and try again - I'll waste a Full minute on PS4 Pro. If I play 10 races online (10 min) gives me, at least 50 gear. With 40 races, I get the 200 gears... Which in my case, considering the amount of HOURS I spent with loading and reloading saves and no STH car, those 40 minutes were pointless.

I always opened 3 boxes in one save load and got a STH every 30-60 minutes. They are rare, but still the fastest way to reach 25k gears imo. Many others did it this way. On PS5 the game starts in 1 minute, so you have 180 tries for a STH á hour.

1 hour ago, xIRockyRock said:

I always opened 3 boxes in one save load and got a STH every 30-60 minutes. They are rare, but still the fastest way to reach 25k gears imo. Many others did it this way. On PS5 the game starts in 1 minute, so you have 180 tries for a STH á hour.

I tried this yesterday, I always opened 5 boxes and I did this for almost two hours and didn’t get an STH car. I gave up after that and was aiming for 2 legendary cars with 5 opened boxes or at least one legendary car with 3 boxes.

I will try your method later today, maybe I was just unlucky yesterday.

47 minutes ago, anotherfangirl said:

I tried this yesterday, I always opened 5 boxes and I did this for almost two hours and didn’t get an STH car. I gave up after that and was aiming for 2 legendary cars with 5 opened boxes or at least one legendary car with 3 boxes.

I will try your method later today, maybe I was just unlucky yesterday.

I watched Netflix or something by doing this, so it didn’t bother too much. It’s also better than always need a boost partner (which is probably as fast as my method, but requires two people).

There were moments where I didn’t draw anything for more than one hour, but I also had moments where I drew 3-4 in an hour. It’s a little bit luck based, but if you draw one á hour, it’s as fast as boosting MP races in my calculation.

I set the game up as my platinum 400 and got it today, that’s why it needed so long on my profile.

Probably best to wait for the coming Battlepass and it’s rewards if you don’t want the grind.

Good luck to everyone.

Edited by xIRockyRock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xIRockyRock said:

I watched Netflix or something by doing this, so it didn’t bother too much. It’s also better than always need a boost partner (which is probably as fast as my method, but requires two people).

There were moments where I didn’t draw anything for more than one hour, but I also had moments where I drew 3-4 in an hour. It’s a little bit luck based, but if you draw one á hour, it’s as fast as boosting MP races in my calculation.

I set the game up as my platinum 400 and got it today, that’s why it needed so long on my profile.

Probably best to wait for the coming Battlepass and it’s rewards if you don’t want the grind.

Good luck to everyone.

Thanks for your reply, I think I'll give it another try while watching tv shows or a movie ? I'm at ~14.000 gears at the moment, I just need to be patient.

• Like 1

Trying this at certain coin intervals to give some kind of indication of what to expect.

3100 gears, 21k coins, 78 Blind Boxes. Earned enough legendaries, rares and STH's to get me to 5.8k gears. I then Upgrade/Scrapped all the commons I could with this amount, after the 37th car I unlocked the 10k trophy. I carried on, and I had enough gears to get me to 55 Common > Rares Dismantled, which gave me 11300 accumulative Gears. 

I feel like 40k+ coins Is what we should be aiming for before you have a chance at this trophy if you get unlucky if you don't want to save scum each individual box and would rather do bulk saves instead like I do. I grinded for 2 hours earlier with a few guys and got about 8k coins, alternating wins and 2nds most of this time. 5 more hours of grinding and i'll hit that 40k sweet spot lmao

Adding my quick results here.

Starting at 3.6k gears earned from campaign, 50,300 gold, and 29 boxes, I got to a cumulative total of 16.7k gears with 0 save scumming (bought all boxes, upgraded commons to rare, scrapped everything).  I wasn't quite able to upgrade every common to rare, so had to salvage some commons which is a little inefficient.  Re-loaded my save and going to start scumming every 3 boxes for a few hours to see if I can get there that way.

7 hours ago, WereyCar said:

Well if 50k isn't enough I'm just waiting until November 11th. Screw playing this game anymore.

I think that's the way to go if you get tired of boosting.

Also, to add to my results above, I don't think it's worth it to spend a lot of time saving/uploading/downloading trying to fish for better boxes.  I was pretty strict in my boxes (lots of re-downloading every 3 boxes etc.) and only ended up with 21,100.  So spending 3-4 hours (at least) save scumming only netted me an additional 3.4k vs. the 16.7k I got from just opening everything straight through. Those 3-4 hours would have been better spent boosting if you have a group and just buying more boxes.  Took me another few hours of boosting to finish of the 25k gears and the plat.

Good luck everyone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 9:35 AM, xIRockyRock said:

The fastest way to achieve the platinum is probably:

For Coins:

- Boost MP Sessions until you reach 25k on your bank.

- Make a cloud save

-Open boxes for all your Gold (50).

-Sell everything you got and buy new boxes.

-Repeat until you eventually reach 100k in total 

-Load cloud save

For Gears:

-Make cloud save

-Open a box 

The one for the coins helped me a lot.  Not sure how well I'd be able to pull off the one for the gears.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As of 11/11, the race seasons have officially started, which will make the grind for coins and gears much easier. You will now get points per race, and from completing daily challenges that go towards the race season level ranking. Season 1 has 51 levels, and most levels reward you with 500 Gears & 3,500 Coins.

I was able to complete my daily challenges last night within 10 minutes, which pushed me to level 5 in the season and rewarded me with about 10.5k Coins and 1.5k Gears.

Edited by buck2159
Spelling
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, buck2159 said:

As of 11/11, the race seasons have officially started, which will make the grind for coins and gears much easier. You will now get points per race, and from completing daily challenges that go towards the race season level ranking. Season 1 has 51 levels, and most levels reward you with 500 Gears & 3,500 Coins.

I was able to complete my daily challenges last night within 10 minutes, which pushed me to level 5 in the season and rewarded me with about 10.5k Coins and 1.5k Gears.

Im at level 5 and the xp for each level dosnt seem to.be increasing which is good. I dont think it will take too long to plat this now

• Like 1

22 hours ago, buck2159 said:

The season with the coins/gears rewards has saved me, I was idling while at work but it was frustrating (I'd come home to find any kind of error message and realize I had earned about 300 coins in a day), was about to just drop it. Already unlocked the 10k gears trophy thanks to this