Fan servers

Zephyr-pt

7 minutes ago, Zephyr-pt said:

I am aware of a group setting up fan servers for this game, so my question is if a trophy hunter has access to them can he earn the online trophies or would it be against the rules on psnp?

The approved servers are listed here:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zephyr-pt said:

Any way to add them to the approved servers once they finish the project?

The instructions are in that thread. The first question is always: is the code for the server open source? If the answer is no, then that’s the answer to your question without going any further. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Zephyr-pt said:

Any way to add them to the approved servers once they finish the project?

In all likelihood, no. This group refuses to release the source code of their projects. As noted in the rules thread :

Available for everyone. Anyone can potentially setup the server themselves if they have a computer and decent computer knowledge.

The next question usually asked is "why"?

If a single person or limited group controls the servers, they can gatekeep the trophies. Its also much harder to tell if the trophy requirements are changed etc. Your PSN account security is also potentially at risk in some cases, so the ability to run a server yourself to negate that risk is required.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
45 minutes ago, Richtoon said:

Killzone 2 online got revived 2nd time by PS Rewired and I was told that ranked is work and you can get online trophies now. 

PS Rewired Discord https://discord.gg/VfeuF6ZWVb

Please don’t irresponsibility lead people into getting flagged for playing on unapproved custom servers that are against the leaderboard rules. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richtoon said:

Killzone 2 online got revived 2nd time by PS Rewired and I was told that ranked is work and you can get online trophies now. 

PS Rewired Discord https://discord.gg/VfeuF6ZWVb

Rewired is open source, correct? This is most intriguing, as one of my very few server dead unobtainable trophy lists. Now if we can get Uncharted 3 back online…..

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 9:16 PM, B1rvine said:

In all likelihood, no. This group refuses to release the source code of their projects. As noted in the rules thread :

The next question usually asked is "why"?

If a single person or limited group controls the servers, they can gatekeep the trophies. Its also much harder to tell if the trophy requirements are changed etc. Your PSN account security is also potentially at risk in some cases, so the ability to run a server yourself to negate that risk is required.

Forgive me for bumping this post, but as far as I know PSN account security should not be an issue. Most -- if not all -- of these third party game server hosts do not and cannot communicate directly with any of the necessary PlayStation Network APIs. Even if Sony did open up access to those APIs it would be very limited in scope and require third party developers to obtain a security token. My best guess is that they more than likely forego any form of account authentication as a result. If they do collect any data it still would not be anything that could compromise account logins since PSN handles that through an X-I-5-Ticket. If anything these providers just act as an intermediary between several peers allowing them to connect with one another.

Trophy requirements are wholly client sided and cannot be changed remotely or locally. That is why people had to decrypt specific client sided files and edit hex values to indicate to other local game files -- and subsequently PSN via synching -- that trophies were unlocked whether or not the requirements were met. Obviously it was more in depth than that since people had to also figure out unix time, the corresponding offset for timestamps, the file structure in general, and even then the PS3 did not handle unix time like you would expect unix time to be handled. That obviously does not address other methods like people modifying local game files and executables to execute scripts to either meet certain requirements or to just outright auto-pop trophies.

As for gatekeeping trophies I can potentially see that being the only issue. But you have to evaluate whether or not these third party servers were even created to explicitly obtain trophies or to provide end users access to games that they paid for and want to play instead reminiscing of a time long gone . We will all have differing opinions on the veracity of these third parties and unfortunately there is no litmus test that indicates one way or the other. Going forward we are definitely going to see this question posited more often as people continue to develop solutions to game servers being shutdown. Suffice to say however, people will just need to respect the rules as they are going forward unless a more nuanced discussion is had on how to address both open-source and closed-source projects.

Edited by xXRathlosXx
typos
  • Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I would really like these servers get the thumbs up from the peeps here. From what I've read, they are just fan servers that let you play online and enable you to get the trophies again, and don't make your trophy popping go brrr (I hope).

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2023 at 12:25 AM, Lord_of_Ra said:

I would really like these servers get the thumbs up from the peeps here. From what I've read, they are just fan servers that let you play online and enable you to get the trophies again, and don't make your trophy popping go brrr (I hope).

They should never be admitted or allowed.  You guys had a lot of years getting these trophies. 

Now it should stay UR! In my opinion. That game was online for 10yrs. Me personally cant get plat on KZ mercenary. But i dont care because its unfair to people that got it when the servers were up. 

From what I’ve heard the revival projects have to be open source to be Kosher on the site. So it’s really up to the revival team if they’ll be allowed of not. Couldn’t they just convert to open source? I’m not an expert but I’d assume that’s something within their power. 

7 minutes ago, aceman131 said:

From what I’ve heard the revival projects have to be open source to be Kosher on the site. So it’s really up to the revival team if they’ll be allowed of not. Couldn’t they just convert to open source? I’m not an expert but I’d assume that’s something within their power. 

Yes, open sourcing just means taking the (source) code they use for their servers and posting it online with unfettered access for anyone to read and download it. It's something they could do any time they wanted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2024 at 8:29 AM, DividedByMankind said:

They should never be admitted or allowed.  You guys had a lot of years getting these trophies. 

Now it should stay UR! In my opinion. That game was online for 10yrs. Me personally cant get plat on KZ mercenary. But i dont care because its unfair to people that got it when the servers were up. 

Show some respect some people  might not had it or maybe  they  couldn't  afford  it or they was a kid be nice and stop being toxic 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain_Buttbaby said:

Show some respect some people  might not had it or maybe  they  couldn't  afford  it or they was a kid be nice and stop being toxic 

BuT iT's uNfAiR!

1 hour ago, Captain_Buttbaby said:

In norway we have freedom of speech! So i say what i wanna say! Whenever i wanna say it! Nuff said! They should show respect to our respectable UR! And stop crying about not being able to get it! Not all games are ment for everyone or trophy lists👍

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DividedByMankind said:

In norway we have freedom of speech! So i say what i wanna say! Whenever i wanna say it! Nuff said! They should show respect to our respectable UR! And stop crying about not being able to get it! Not all games are ment for everyone or trophy lists👍

It would stay UR even if legit servers came back anyway.

What gave it that rarity was not servers closing, but the effort you need to put in the online portion and Elite difficulty. I was playing regularly when servers were up, and the plat never crossed the 2% rarity.

Edited by Crono