Physical Purchase Questions

Leigrez

So I see that if I buy the physical of the PS4 version I get access to the digital PS5 version.

However, is the reverse of this true? If I buy a physical PS5 version will I get access to the digital PS4 version.

The reason I ask, is because I wanna start building my PS5 collection, but a bunch of PS5 games, don't include access to the PS4 digital. If not all of em. I also find this really peculiar since you can play PS4 games on the PS5, so that should almost be a mandatory thing to have. I get why they're adding the PS5 games free for PS4 purchases, so it entices people to buy a PS5 sooner since they will have a bunch of upgraded games they have access to, but it's very unfortunate that I have a bunch of PS4 games, even though I bought em for the PS5.

Anyways, if anyone knows for sure if it comes with it or not, that would be awesome.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Leigrez said:

So I see that if I buy the physical of the PS4 version I get access to the digital PS5 version.

However, is the reverse of this true? If I buy a physical PS5 version will I get access to the digital PS4 version.

The reason I ask, is because I wanna start building my PS5 collection, but a bunch of PS5 games, don't include access to the PS4 digital. If not all of em. I also find this really peculiar since you can play PS4 games on the PS5, so that should almost be a mandatory thing to have. I get why they're adding the PS5 games free for PS4 purchases, so it entices people to buy a PS5 sooner since they will have a bunch of upgraded games they have access to, but it's very unfortunate that I have a bunch of PS4 games, even though I bought em for the PS5.

Anyways, if anyone knows for sure if it comes with it or not, that would be awesome.

Thanks.

No. The only games that have had backward access are the special editions of NBA 2K and the Standard for Hitman 3 (for PSVR purposes). If you're getting physical and want both, you have to get the PS4 disc. Otherwise your other option is getting it digital for both versions.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Why do people think it works reverse as well?

PS4 to PS5.

not PS5 to PS4. 

Because some games give you both and the Q&A on the site for this game didn't specify one way or another.

It was just for clarification and like I had said, if you buy a PS5 game, you should rightfully get the PS4 version for free since you are supporting this gen and your system can play both versions, I just wanna get the PS5 version, but not if I cant go through it on both versions, so I guess I'm stuck with another PS4 game in the collection, instead of a PS5 game. 

On 10/3/2021 at 0:56 PM, ImAPirateSoSueMe said:

No. The only games that have had backward access are the special editions of NBA 2K and the Standard for Hitman 3 (for PSVR purposes). If you're getting physical and want both, you have to get the PS4 disc. Otherwise your other option is getting it digital for both versions.

Thanks, also I did not know that about Hitman 3... I grabbed the PS4 version, now I wish I had grabbed the PS5 version.

Just now, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

I'm really looking forward to this. As a Pony i only managed to play this when it got a pc release and i only did 1 run, I do remember being a bit underwhelmed but I imagine it will be great.

May I ask what is a Pony? "PC Only"? Just never came across that term before.

I did a couple runs at it on my xbox, and I loved it, so I'm really looking forward to going through this again a couple more times. Also it helped that Control was sooooo much fun, so much so, I have gone through on my PS4/PS5 and I have recently downloaded em on my Xbox to go through it again.

5 minutes ago, Leigrez said:

I did a couple runs at it on my xbox, and I loved it, so I'm really looking forward to going through this again a couple more times. Also it helped that Control was sooooo much fun, so much so, I have gone through on my PS4/PS5 and I have recently downloaded em on my Xbox to go through it again.

Pony is someone who is primarily a PS gamer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leigrez said:

Because some games give you both and the Q&A on the site for this game didn't specify one way or another.

It was just for clarification and like I had said, if you buy a PS5 game, you should rightfully get the PS4 version for free since you are supporting this gen and your system can play both versions, I just wanna get the PS5 version, but not if I cant go through it on both versions, so I guess I'm stuck with another PS4 game in the collection, instead of a PS5 game

well i may be one who couldn't give a damn about having "both". If i buy a new game and ps5 has a physical im getting ps5. i dont give a fuck about playing the ps4 version or having stacks.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Why do people think it works reverse as well?

PS4 to PS5.

not PS5 to PS4. 

I guess it's because as soon as I know that the game it's not ps5 only title it's hard to think that the ps5 version it's a native ps5 but something retouched and so I think the disc should has both versions in it. Yes, I'm probably wrong but being the ps5 console based on ps4 it makes me think that kind of things lol.

• Like 1

I really hate the way Sony has gone about this transition period. I wish they would've done what Microsoft did and make it an 'Xbox One/Xbox Series X | S' single copy. Would make it way less confusing for casual consumers and would completely wipe out the constant questions asked.

2 hours ago, Leigrez said:

I know others have mentioned it but it's a term for hardcore PlayStation fans. Usually called a Sony Pony, much like the term for diehard Xbox fans 'Xbot'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldenShaka said:

I guess it's because as soon as I know that the game it's not ps5 only title it's hard to think that the ps5 version it's a native ps5 but something retouched and so I think the disc should has both versions in it. Yes, I'm probably wrong but being the ps5 console based on ps4 it makes me think that kind of things lol.

understandable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

I wish they would've done what Microsoft did and make it an 'Xbox One/Xbox Series X | S' single copy.

With a lot of the Xbox cross gen games the Series X version isn't even actually on the disc though and requires a download, so the disc is functionally useless, so that's not even a perfect system. MVG did a good video that touched on it.

Edited by communistwookiee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 4:56 PM, Leigrez said:

It was just for clarification and like I had said, if you buy a PS5 game, you should rightfully get the PS4 version for free since you are supporting this gen and your system can play both versions, I just wanna get the PS5 version, but not if I cant go through it on both versions, so I guess I'm stuck with another PS4 game in the collection, instead of a PS5 game. 

Thanks, also I did not know that about Hitman 3... I grabbed the PS4 version, now I wish I had grabbed the PS5 version.

I mean, the PS4 version had a free upgrade anyway.