Mooncrash help and info needed

DaveMcDamage

Hi all,

This DLC reads very confusing. It doesn't want you to do all objectives as that completes the sim, don't take too long but don't rush the levels. Come on man! Is there any help or info you guys could give to us new to this DLC. I will play it but its very off putting in what I have seen so far. I suppose a lack of sales doesn't meaning info on the net is scarce. But at this point I'd appreciate any help you guys could give going into this DLC. Cheers.

Have you played it yet?  I didn't find it that confusing once I got started on it and there is a trophy guide for it on this site.

One thing about it that could be confusing for people that haven't played it is that it's basically a roguelike, so you'll be doing a lot of short runs.  If you're going into it expecting that it's like the main game and worried that you might miss something and have to do another full game run to get it, don't!  You'll be doing plenty of runs anyway and have plenty of chances to figure everything out before you're done.

• Like 3

@dmland12 is right - it is confusing at the outset - deliberately so, as you will be doing a lot of runs, so it’s intentionally obtuse about giving you info, as it wants you to explore.

Basically, just keep doing as much as you can, chipping away at it. Eventually you will unlock other protagonists, which means multiple runs before reset, and different powers, and you can choose which ones to use first/ second/third etc.

For example, send the hacker on the first run, and hack all the doors, then the soldier will be able to get through when he goes second, etc.

Your fist priority is to just explore, and try to unlock the other players for use. Once you have all 5, then you start thinking about actually completing it.

• Like 2

Overpowered tip: I strongly recommend unlocking Joan Winslow's (The Engineer) "Reverse Engineering" skill ASAP, and using it ONLY on a Time Loop item, so you can craft them. Makes the corruption timer practically a non-issue. The game was a breeze after I figured this out. Mind, you can also find the crafting blueprints for Time Loop randomly in the environment, but that usually takes longer.

Edited by ScarecrowsFate
  • Like 3

Thanks gents

Just had a quick go at the game. I read that the first stage doesn't have a timer so I thought I would just test it out. I like the low gravity feel, reminded me of that other first person game where the prequel was set on the moon. 

Anyway I was just trying the area out but then got wrecked by a harvester. So I will restart next time but as it resets but keeps what you have earned, does that mean that the bodies will have new items on them or do they disappear? Also can you just keep exploring the first map, getting killed, trying a bit more farming etc without worrying to much about unlocking too many of those kaspar objectives? 

Borderlands! Thats the game prequel I was thinking of lol. 

I also saw that you shouldn't attempt to complete the final objective unless you have 50K points saved. Is the cash near infinite or do things get removed if you keep dying and retrying?

I take it restarting the sim isn't that much of an issue until you want to go for the trophy where you get all five people out in one run. By the way, can you save and reload on that or does it really have to be done on one sitting?

Edited by DaveMcDamage

20 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

So I will restart next time but as it resets but keeps what you have earned, does that mean that the bodies will have new items on them or do they disappear? Also can you just keep exploring the first map, getting killed, trying a bit more farming etc without worrying to much about unlocking too many of those kaspar objectives?

Tasks you accomplish within an instance of the simulation remain complete until you reset it, I believe—bodies/containers you loot will be empty when the next character comes around, doors you repair or hack will still be open, etc.. This is actually necessary for one of the escape methods (Mimic Portal), since you have to first repair the machine with Joan, and hack the nearby computer with Claire.

By crafting time loops, you could essentially clear out the entire map with a single character, leaving nothing for the remaining characters in line to do but escape. Fairly early, you'll unlock the ability to summon the Mule Operator drone, which you should always transfer your inventory over to before escaping with a character, so the next character's run will have everything you accumulated. 

Accidentally finishing every KASMA order isn't going to happen, so I wouldn't worry about it. The sim becomes harder as you make progress, due to additions like random environmental hazards, but it was never that noticeable in my experience. The most important thing is to always enter the center tower at the start, and make sure the areas you want to explore are powered up, by swapping batteries into the relevant slots.

I also saw that you shouldn't attempt to complete the final objective unless you have 50K points saved. Is the cash near infinite or do things get removed if you keep dying and retrying?

You don't lose sim points on death, and they rarely seemed to be an issue when I played it. I was usually able to purchase several neuromods, a weapon, and a chipset or two per run, while staying around 50,000.

I take it restarting the sim isn't that much of an issue until you want to go for the trophy where you get all five people out in one run. By the way, can you save and reload on that or does it really have to be done on one sitting?

Has to be done within one instance of the sim; I think you can save and quit at anytime, though. Not sure if you can save scum by backing up the save between characters, but it's much easier than it sounds anyway, especially if you craft time loops to keep corruption under control.

One more tip: Riley Yu is pretty easy to unlock by finding her body in the Pytheas Lab office, and she has the strongest offensive Typhon ability in the game: Psychoshock. Makes short work of the Moon Shark when upgraded.

• Like 2

@ScarecrowsFate

Cheers man. 

I will try again tomorrow. I have to figure out when to fight and flee. Also do you recommend using that resource machine or do you keep some stuff? I read briefly somewhere that you share inventory but I may be wrong on that. 

On the first map is there anything I shouldn't do even when the corruption timer is not a feature, like use ammo or health packs?

2 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Also do you recommend using that resource machine or do you keep some stuff? I read briefly somewhere that you share inventory but I may be wrong on that.

Yeah, definitely break down everything you don't need into materials, primarily so you can craft time loops and neuromods. And, yes, I explained how to transfer inventory in my previous post:

7 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

Fairly early, you'll unlock the ability to summon the Mule Operator drone, which you should always transfer your inventory over to before escaping with a character, so the next character's run will have everything you accumulated.

To be precise, finishing 25% of the KASMA objectives unlocks it. However, it can only preserve your items within a single instance of the simulation. You can't carry your inventory through resets, so be sure to craft/use as many neuromods as possible before escaping with the final character in a sequence, or manually resetting.

2 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

On the first map is there anything I shouldn't do even when the corruption timer is not a feature, like use ammo or health packs?

Not that I'm aware of—use what you need. Sounds like you're overthinking this a bit. ☺️ As for weapons, I mostly used the handgun, and the plasma sword you can find in the labs. Typhon abilities do most of the killing.

Yet another random tip: there's a sneaky crawlspace above the crafting machine in the central tower, which often contains neuromods or other useful items. Search it at the beginning of every reset.

Edited by ScarecrowsFate
  • Like 2

Well I restarted and got killed by the first mimic lol. I hate the swing mechanics in this game as they really messed up the FPS view, your camera is close but you have no perception on distance to where you're hitting at. Bleagh!

Anyway the sim restarted and this time I got further and did some exploring. Got some nodes and stuff and then saw a yellow crane type thing which is sinking in the ground but had a glimmering object at the top. Now again the FPS makes climbing and traversal in this game a chore but now with zero g its a little more infuriating. Its fun bouncing around, but climbing is horrible. Anyway I get right near the top after multiple fails and then it misses and I drop to the bottom. Tried to go again but now I am wedge between the platforms. Couldn't jump, couldn't walk. Saved and exited, reloaded, same situation. Had no choice but to start the entire DLC all over again... quit out. 

Obviously I want the 100% completion, but the design and lack of checkpoint restart is bad for a game of its age. Its gonna take me some time before I can muster up the will to continue with this trash. I really appreciate the info you guys gave and the time you taken to do so. I'll get back to it at some other point, but the thought of a slight error on the devs behalf causing you to lose every single bit of progress is very off putting. 

Edit

Okay so seeing as its the only game I currently have installed I had no choice but to try again. This time I did the first escape. Have to say it was satisfying wrecking a Harvester with an explosive tank rather than wasting resources on it. Tried to explore as much as I could but when I eventually ran out of all ammo types I decided to finish the escape part. Got it done and I think I made around 15K points. 

Had a go with the next character and skipped off a rock whilst trying to avoid the Moon Shark. Got to the next door which was blocked and it said there were 8 enemies remaining. Turned out to be seven phantoms and I'm assuming the 8th would be the Moon Shark. Got killed instantly as they all attacked at once it seemed. Reloaded, same point but got one hit killed off the Moon Shark. Tried two more times, exact same result but ran out of points to spend. 

Quite possibly the worst piece of DLC I have come across. Its like they took the idea from those distance flash games and tried to spruce it up. Not my cup of tea really. This is going to be a slog but I cannot let a piece of shite DLC be the end of my completion. Saving that for the Mass Effect trilogy :D

Edited by DaveMcDamage

Put in around 5 hours so far on this DLC. As @ScarecrowsFate said I was way over thinking this. Its actually a fun DLC indeed. Apologies for the bitching. 

I just unlocked the security officer though I was pissed off when the engineer got killed as I was trying to do her side mission and got wedged and then wrecked by a phantom. I'm sort of getting the hang of it I think. I take it when you want to do the final escape with the 5 in one run, there is exactly 5 ways to escape which is why people mention about the engineer and hacker to open up the portal for someone else, then the others can use the shuttle, mass crate thing, a pod and I don't know what the other is yet. 

Also. I read the kaspar thing or whatever its called. It mentions about getting that Yu woman with the head scan machine. If you find that scanner does it reset findings on each death/restart, or does scanning with one person unlock for all?

1 hour ago, DaveMcDamage said:

If you find that scanner does it reset findings on each death/restart, or does scanning with one person unlock for all?

You mean scanning enemies with the Psychoscope? It unlocks abilities for everyone, and the progress is permanent. No need to scan with each character individually.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it more now! I can see how it might be off-putting if you're not that accustomed to roguelite elements. You mentioned that you got blocked by a typhon gate and died. In the future, be aware that you can use EMP grenades (I always carried 2-3), or Joan's Electrostatic Burst skill to disable them without needing to defeat all the typhon first. Andrius Alekna's Burrow skill will also bypass them.

Edited by ScarecrowsFate

On 10/9/2021 at 10:10 PM, ScarecrowsFate said:

You mean scanning enemies with the Psychoscope? It unlocks abilities for everyone, and the progress is permanent. No need to scan with each character individually.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it more now! I can see how it might be off-putting if you're not that accustomed to roguelite elements. You mentioned that you got blocked by a typhon gate and died. In the future, be aware that you can use EMP grenades (I always carried 2-3), or Joan's Electrostatic Burst skill to disable them without needing to defeat all the typhon first. Andrius Alekna's Burrow skill will also bypass them.

Yeah I just seem to have a rough time with the engineer chick. Always stupid deaths like packs ganging up and blocking me in. I unlocked the security officer and then just completed his side quest. I only have that Riley Yu chick to unlock now. I was trying to find that Pschoscope thing as it says its at the top of the Pathea labs, but the highest I could go was near where the escape pods were. I was gutted as I was using the bald guy and the timer hit level 4. There were no escape pods so I made it all the way back to near the shuttle is and then got wasted by a laser beam turret lol. 

Its no where near as stressful though, the only downside is starting at the same place all the damn time. Its not the biggest of maps by any means but that same start point gets on my tits. Although when I mentioned I got the engineer killed by getting wedged, that was at the labs so when I picked the next character they then started at the labs too. Not sure what the hell happened there or why they spawned there instead of the start of the map like usual. Any ideas?

Edited by DaveMcDamage

4 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Although when I mentioned I got the engineer killed by getting wedged, that was at the labs so when I picked the next character they then started at the labs too. Not sure what the hell happened there or why they spawned there instead of the start of the map like usual. Any ideas?

That's normal. If I remember correctly, dying will cause the next character to spawn at the entrance of the area where you died, providing you were outside the Crater. Your next character will only start in that first room after an escape, or if you die in the Crater.

23 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

That's normal. If I remember correctly, dying will cause the next character to spawn at the entrance of the area where you died, providing you were outside the Crater. Your next character will only start in that first room after an escape, or if you die in the Crater.

Just had the best luck mate. So edited this post because I went on a rant (very unlike me but it was justified.... what? Why are you all looking at me like that?) due to getting Riley killed as my first attempt at the 5 escapes. I got to the point where you need to find the body (I never realised I had already unlocked genesis 2 and just had to put mods into it) and got killed as soon as I arrived at the crew quarters and quit right out. 

Made a rant post and then had another go. When I loaded it though I was at the start of the crew quarters with Riley. Got her escape done. Next was engineer to repair the warp drive thing and then did the pod escape. Next was the tech chick and hacked the warp drive and then went for the mass crate escape. This is where I thought it was gonna go tits up for me as when I activated the launch I realised I had a hell of a drop and didn't know if I would survive. I did and got the escape. Next was the bald geezer and just ran straight to the warp drive and escaped. Last was the S.O, and took him straight to the shuttle in probably 2 minutes. Got all escapes and got the trophy for getting 5 out in one go. 

I guess if you quit out at the right moment you can get lucky and an autosave must occur when you arrive at a new area. So got a lot of luck there. Glad thats done. Only got the side quest stuff to do now. But the real slog is getting all the upgrades. I honestly thought it was gonna be a kaspar requirement but thats only for getting 50 or something. Glad I checked that. So now I need to find a vid on the best way to get nodes quick. 

I take it I now have to let corruption timers happen in order to scan mimic 3, nightmare 2 etc etc etc?

Thanks again and if that was your vid in the trophy guide then thanks for that too. That time loop thing was nice and was wondering what people were on about at first. 

You the man, @ScarecrowsFate

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1