How to dupe items (offline mode only)

NathanielJohn

Important edit: It looks like this has been patched on PS5. Unless someone finds another method, this is now only possible on PS4.

I don't know if duping is possible online -- this method only works for offline characters. It's useful in particular for duping runes and gems, so that you can make runewords like Enigma armor. You can also dupe gold with this method (and if you're lucky enough to find a Stone of Jordan, you could dupe that too). 

On PS4:

It's easy to duplicate items on PS4, and it works like a whole bunch of other games:

- Put whatever you want to dupe in your private stash. Back up your save files on USB or PS+ cloud.
- Copy the items from your private stash to your shared stash. Save and quit.
- Download/restore your character's save file, but NOT your shared stash save file. Now you will have the items in your private stash *and* in your shared stash.

- Repeat.

On PS5:

It's much more complicated to item dupe on PS5, since you can't back up individual pieces of your save file -- the shared stash is bundled in the same file as your characters, so you can't back up and restore just one of them or the other. Fortunately, there is another method that works based on the shared stash currently being buggy. First, a couple words of warning:

- Because this method works based on a glitch in the game, it may be patched out at any time. I cannot guarantee that this will work at any time in the future.

- The shared stash is *really* glitchy in offline games. Backup your save files often and *be careful*. Keep extra copies of important items in your private stash (which is not buggy) in case you screw up and accidentally glitch your shared stash.

- I don't know exactly how this glitch works -- I found a way of doing it semi-consistently, but it's still not 100%. It could probably be refined.

OK, onto the method. Do *exactly* the steps I list below, in order:

1. Back up your save files to the PS+ cloud (just as a precaution, in case your shared stash glitches in the next step).
  2. Put whatever items you want to duplicate into shared stash #1 (i.e., stash tab #2). Other stashes probably work, but let's just always use shared stash #1. Also, go to Act 1 (again, this probably doesn't matter, but I had trouble getting it to work in other acts).
  3. Save and quit. Then force-close the game (PS button) and reload to make sure things didn't vanish from your shared stash.
  4. As long as the items are still in your shared stash, back up your save file to the PS+ cloud.
  5. Load your character and do exactly the following, and nothing else, in this order:
    (a) gamble a single ring from Gheed (costs 50,000 gold, but you can use this method to dupe gold anyway, so it's no big deal)
    (b) go to your shared stash #1 and put whatever items and/or gold you want to dupe into your inventory -- do not close the stash window when you are done
    (c) without closing the stash window, put the ring that you gambled from Gheed into shared stash #1
    (d) without closing the stash window, press the "Options" button on your controller, then Save and Quit
    (e) when you are back at the main menu, hard-close the game (PS-button, then press Options -> Close on the game icon)
  6. That it! Your items should hopefully now be in your inventory and also in shared stash #1. If not, try again (I never got the method to work 100% of the time, so it likely depends on timing in some way -- you might have to be quick). You can repeat this as much as you like, but you should never initiate a dupe (by buying from Gheed) unless you just loaded in after rebooting the game.

Cheers!

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 2

The ability to duplicate gold will also help with gambling a unique item. If you can completely fill every stash tab and personal inventory to the max with gold, you can then back up your offline character, gamble away all your gold, and if you don't get a unique item you can recover your backed up save files to have max gold again and continue to gamble. Much easier than naturally gambling as you collect gold.

1 minute ago, Vextens said:

The ability to duplicate gold will also help with gambling a unique item. If you can completely fill every stash tab and personal inventory to the max with gold, you can then back up your offline character, gamble away all your gold, and if you don't get a unique item you can recover your backed up save files to have max gold again and continue to gamble. Much easier than naturally gambling as you collect gold.

That’s true, but it’s easy enough to do that without duping anyway — just back up your save file before gambling your money away.

1 hour ago, Vextens said:

There's an easyier way, make a level 11 account and gamble for daggers. They cost 2k each and uniques are 1/2000 so it'll cost around 2mil, the item you get is called gull, a 100% MF dagger that can also have a socket. Which is one of the best magic find pieces in the game seeing as it's cheap and fast to get.

Just dump your cash in the shared stash, transfer all the money to the personal stash and then gamble away. Especially good to weapon swap when a boss is about to die.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iAmSirogabober said:

No idea, but if you're on PS5 then don't update. There are reports that this update complete screws up the PS5 version of the game and makes it so you can't play at all anymore until they fix it.

2 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

No idea, but if you're on PS5 then don't update. There are reports that this update complete screws up the PS5 version of the game and makes it so you can't play at all anymore until they fix it.

It's only online that this patch has bricked, you can still play ps5 offline.

This dupe exploit still works with the current patch that released today on PS5.

How do I know this? Because as of today, the game forced me to update to even play offline. So... yeah. Looks like you won't be able to just downgrade your patch or stay on an old patch to do this exploit forever on PS5. Once they patch it, it's gone for good.

• 1 month later...

I just figured out a new method. 

1.Disconnect from online

2. Put items you wish to duplicate in shared stash.

3. Go out and fight some monsters. I would go to the first way point in act 5 and kill the unique monsters.

4. Go back to town. I usually did act 1.

5. Quit and save game from menu, then when save icon stops spinning, go to the dashboard and hard close the game.

6. Boot it back up and check the shared stash. Items should still be there. HOWEVER, 

The items should also be in there original spots too. Inventory or dedicated stash tab. 

I duped some runes and some charms. I also had some gear just sitting in the shared tab that I didn't remove. Not sure if thats necessary or not. But this method was a little quicker than the original way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alley_Cat_8633 said:

1.Disconnect from online

3. Go out and fight some monsters. I would go to the first way point in act 5 and kill the unique monsters.

5. Quit and save game from menu, then when save icon stops spinning, go to the dashboard and hard close the game.

6. Boot it back up and check the shared stash. Items should still be there. HOWEVER, 

The items should also be in there original spots too. Inventory or dedicated stash tab. 

I duped some runes and some charms. I also had some gear just sitting in the shared tab that I didn't remove. Not sure if thats necessary or not. But this method was a little quicker than the original way.

Hmm, seems like it is the other way now. It used to be that shared stash didn't save but now it's regular inventory.

Kinda risky since we cant really force a save anymore, but super helpful. Thanks!

15 hours ago, Alley_Cat_8633 said:

1.Disconnect from online

Don’t work for me tried it several times. I’m also on ps5

Can't get duping to work on ps5 anymore, glad i duped plenty of copies of high runes before the patch.

*Edit - In fact it looks like the patch has made losing items even easier, just lost my Spirit and insight after putting them on my second character and his merc, closed the game to upload my save, restart the game and both weapons are gone.

Edited by t-H-3_d-O-u-G

Yeah, I couldn't get it working either with the reversed method above.

Losing items happened here too when trying the old way. Seems like the game doesn't save when hitting save and exit, which is kinda bad even for regular play. Gotta make sure to stick around a bit and/or create games on other characters to try and force a save.

I did get this new method to work earlier today, but now it seems to suddenly not be working for me? I'm wondering if there's some luck with your character and stash save timings or something?

If somebody tests and reports back it would be very helpful. My level 96 with full best in slot gear died today and I want to do the online grind about as much as I'd like a root canal right now, so it would be amazing if we could still dupe offline.

1 hour ago, IIDRAGONSSSII said:

Any method still working on PS5?

I think i'm missing something because nothing seems to work for me.

The new method mentioned above works. It's just still being figured out how to do it perfectly consistently because it has to do with save timing windows between your stash status being saved and your inventory status being saved. I've done it a few times and I know others that have successfully done it as well.

5 hours ago, Solarus755 said:

The new method mentioned above works. It's just still being figured out how to do it perfectly consistently because it has to do with save timing windows between your stash status being saved and your inventory status being saved. I've done it a few times and I know others that have successfully done it as well.

Which method works? The one of the first post or the Alley_Cat_8633 quote method?

It must be done whit internet on or off?

On 12/3/2021 at 1:42 AM, Alley_Cat_8633 said:

1.Disconnect from online

Can we get a quick video upload?

2 hours ago, HisokaDesu said:

Are ps4 and ps5 save files interchangeable? Can I play on ps5 in offline mode and when I need to dupe something, can I just download ps4 version and use my ps5 saves there? Or I can't use my ps5 characters in ps4 version? 

No they are not interchangeable offline.

2 hours ago, IIDRAGONSSSII said:

Which method works? The one of the first post or the Alley_Cat_8633 quote method?

It must be done whit internet on or off?

The Alley_Cat_8633 one

1 hour ago, Poison_Jester said:

Can we get a quick video upload?

Not my video, but another in my group who started at the same time as me posted a video on youtube:

• Like 1