Don't play this frustrating pile of shit

AJ_Radio

I appreciate the review and sharing your thoughts on the game.  I will avoid it like the plague.

Yeah I mean no offense yet it's hard to be a subject matter expert if you haven't platinumed the game yourself in the case of guide writing.

Edited by LegendExeter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

For anybody hoping to get the platinum for this game, do yourself a favor and skip it.

Everyone knows how bad this game is and I won't bother to discuss the tens of thousands of backers for the $4 million dollar Kickstarter campaign. Bad games can have doable platinums, but I can tell you guys from experience that going for the Mighty No 9 platinum is just not worth it.

I'm pretty adept at platformers, I enjoy the genre and I occasionally enjoy a challenge. Mighty No 9 is a challenge, but in all the wrong places.

First off, the 5 out of 10 difficulty is a complete joke. The guy who wrote the guide on PST.org has a bunch of insanely hard shmups under his belt, and the other dude who wrote the guide on this website doesn't even have the platinum. Now I can debate whether or not people should actually finish a game prior to writing a guide, but to call Mighty No 9 not that difficult is quite frankly, highly misleading.

There are too many instakill locations. There is one particular spot in the Prison level where you need split second timing to dash past the purple electric barriers, since they automatically kill you upon touching them. Dashing endlessly tends to break this game in some ways and you can completely bypass some areas with it. However, the cheap enemies combined with the bad level design makes for an incredibly frustrating experience.

Mighty No 9 is just not a fun game. Technical issues aside, I consider this game to be more frustrating than Surgeon Simulator. What basically revealed this game to be a pile of shit was when I had to navigate the power plant level. There are two turbines that you must crouch dash for, which the game never tells you how to do until you actually encounter them. I died over a dozen times on those turbines on my first time through the level, which basically speaks for the kind of bullshit Mighty No 9 throws at you.

Hard and Hyper difficulty are completely unfair, everything is a sponge unless you use a certain weapon that is basically overpowered. The Boss Rush is literally hell, you have to be perfect since you have to fight every single boss in the game which takes around 20 minutes and on only one life. Even worse is the Gauntlet challenge for beating the entire game without dying. This alone should of made Mighty No 9 at least a 8 out of 10 in difficulty. I don't recall any game that was listed at 5 out of 10 in difficulty that had a difficult gauntlet challenge.

The average player is not going to get this platinum, they aren't going to even get half the trophies in this game because a majority of them require a fair amount of skill and precision. As a big Mega Man fan, Mighty No 9 spits on everything that made the Mega Man formula great. It's not fun, it's not enjoyable, it's not worth going for this platinum. If you find yourself playing this game and already hating the first hour of it, do not bother to play the rest of it. Just one regular playthrough is more than enough.

Even after grabbing this game off of PS Plus, Mighty No 9 still isn't worth it.

Well I'm a huge Mega Man fan and I've been eying this one for a while despite the red flags and thought about getting it since its pretty cheap but was on the fence, you make some good points so I'm not gonna bother with it and the gameplay I watched does look pretty lack luster but my love for Mega Man was probably speaking louder lol

• Like 2

Preach brother, preach!

The game is utter trash. Boss rush was hard af. I honestly wouldn't have minded playing the game without dying, but the game fails to make this feat feel like a rewarding experience or at the least, fun.

I take stabs at it once in a while but there's so many other games that will be worth the time than this garbage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Segimon said:

Preach brother, preach!

The game is utter trash. Boss rush was hard af. I honestly wouldn't have minded playing the game without dying, but the game fails to make this feat feel like a rewarding experience or at the least, fun.

I take stabs at it once in a while but there's so many other games that will be worth the time than this garbage.

I'm impressed you did the Boss Rush. I've tried it a few times and got my butt handed to me. Definitely not easy at all, you really have to know what you're doing and you can't afford to make any notable mistakes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EqualityEarth said:

Excuse my subtle jab at any guides submitted for EZPZ games >.> kinda surprised those game’s “make a guide” buttons don’t respond to a click with “Are you serious?”

that would be hilarious. On the topic of the game yes it is terrible and I was a backer. At least Bloodstained and Battlechasers turned out to be great games.

Definitely a game I should play lmao ?

Nah jokes aside, it's amazing how badly this game managed to fail, starting from that horrendous trailer. I can only imagine how much worse it actually is if it gives you headaches @AJ_Radio.

Thus being said, I kiiinda wait for you to platinum it just for that juicy review :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Void said:

that would be hilarious. On the topic of the game yes it is terrible and I was a backer. At least Bloodstained and Battlechasers turned out to be great games.

If OP may permit me to go OT once more, I believe we could begin a whole thread discussing the ethics of awarding users of this site any Guide/Roadmap Credits at all for EZPZ game guides (at least if it’s actually for equal worth to credits awarded for other guides), much to the tune of the game’s own trophy list. Idk, the concept feels real meta at the time of writing~ ?

• Like 1

I have to be honest with you guys. At the time of writing I have around 183 games on my profile (plus some unobtainable sports games that I cannot seem to unhide no matter what I try) and this is one out of two games that I regret having on my profile despite me having the 100% on both so I think that tells you how awfully painful was to play this trash lol

After I was done I just wanted to take long cold shower and clean my skin with a rock and after cry myself to sleep. And it was cause of the game itself since the challenge is very doable but the game its just so horrible that it was incredibly painful to drag myself to play it till the end. The people who have actually enjoyed the game are very interesting to me since it seems like there’s several of them but I just don’t understand them.

I’m pretty self critical with my own profile and the games that make it and that I feel deserve my time and patience usually they have to be a combination of hard but rewarding games, UR’s, games that are out of my comfort zone or just enjoyable games that I know I’m going to love and usually I try to balance them out. Went for this thinking sure it’s an UR supposedly 5/10 and fuck it I need more 2D platformers on my profile and boyyy was I wrong. Like I said one out of a couple games that If I had the option to remove from my profile I would do so without blinking and by far one of the worst experiences I had gaming in a very long time. Now I will be three times more careful with the research I do for a game before I added to my profile.

That said

Difficulty for me was 7/10

Enjoyment was a -Mighty9/10

• Like 4

On 05/10/2021 at 2:49 AM, EqualityEarth said:

I recall that PST.org requires 75% of the games trophies unlocked prior to submitting a guide (didn’t check the requirement on here, I can’t imagine it’d be much higher). I think it’s fair to ask about “what 75%,” as in, 75% of the trophy weight, or simply 3/4 of the trophy count? Both can be quite different from each other, depending on which trophies you’ve unlocked. In regards to difficult games (or in this case, i suppose fake difficulty), I would suggest agreeing upon a game’s hardest trophy, or more likely 2-3 hardest, while making those specific trophies the benchmark for making a guide. My reasoning is that 75% (by either means) can help rather little to control guide quality if everyone can unlock 9/10 of a game’s trophies without guidance, but next to no one can achieve that 10th one without a certain strategy or guidelines to follow. Isn’t that whole purpose of making a guide?

Excuse my subtle jab at any guides submitted for EZPZ games >.> kinda surprised those game’s “make a guide” buttons don’t respond to a click with “Are you serious?” But if that is the case, that would explain why they tend to post in forum instead of in guide section.

I'm the head of the Guide Team on .org so can answer that question :). Depending on the number of trophies a game or DLC has, the 75% is either 3/4 of the available trophies or whatever the game says is 75% when you do have most of the trophies unlocked but we do occasionally offer a small waiver on that requirement IF the final few trophies you need are either very time consuming (though simple to obtain), glitched or even outright unobtainable.

PS: I'll update the difficulty rating once I get back from the Dentist.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

Didn't expect this to blow up.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:07 PM, Feichti1992 said:

I liked that game. The fast pace was perfect and the Boss rush was well done.

I have to agree to disagree. Stuff like Mega Man 11 and Shovel Knight are well designed, challenging without being too overwhelming. Mighty No 9 at times feels incredibly cheap, plus most of the bosses have at least one gimmick that make them cheap.

You have to have a turbo controller to get out of Cryosphere's freeze, and generally she kills me before I have a chance to break out of it.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:09 PM, Void said:

That sucks. They even had the audacity to record peoples voices if you donated a certain amount towards the Kickstarter campaign, which I find pretty hilarious because the credits are literally four hours long. Who is going to sit through all of that trying to hear their voice?

On 10/4/2021 at 10:42 PM, BrandedBerserk said:

I know reviews aren't everything but with an average of 5/10 as scores you'd think that would be enough to keep people away lmao. 

It's at least a 7 out of 10 in difficulty. If you are giving this a 5 out of 10 you are a better gamer than me, but that is definitely not what the average person would rate it.

On 10/4/2021 at 11:34 PM, Copanele said:

Definitely a game I should play lmao 1f602.png

Nah jokes aside, it's amazing how badly this game managed to fail, starting from that horrendous trailer. I can only imagine how much worse it actually is if it gives you headaches @AJ_Radio.

Thus being said, I kiiinda wait for you to platinum it just for that juicy review :D

In due time. Probably will have to wait a week or two @Copanele.

5 hours ago, Abraniell said:

I have to be honest with you guys. At the time of writing I have around 183 games on my profile (plus some unobtainable sports games that I cannot seem to unhide no matter what I try) and this is one out of two games that I regret having on my profile despite me having the 100% on both so I think that tells you how awfully painful was to play this trash lol

After I was done I just wanted to take long cold shower and clean my skin with a rock and after cry myself to sleep. And it was cause of the game itself since the challenge is very doable but the game its just so horrible that it was incredibly painful to drag myself to play it till the end. The people who have actually enjoyed the game are very interesting to me since it seems like there’s several of them but I just don’t understand them.

I’m pretty self critical with my own profile and the games that make it and that I feel deserve my time and patience usually they have to be a combination of hard but rewarding games, UR’s, games that are out of my comfort zone or just enjoyable games that I know I’m going to love and usually I try to balance them out. Went for this thinking sure it’s an UR supposedly 5/10 and fuck it I need more 2D platformers on my profile and boyyy was I wrong. Like I said one out of a couple games that If I had the option to remove from my profile I would do so without blinking and by far one of the worst experiences I had gaming in a very long time. Now I will be three times more careful with the research I do for a game before I added to my profile.

That said

Difficulty for me was 7/10

Enjoyment was a -Mighty9/10

The hide feature is iffy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

There are certainly worse games out there but Mighty No 9 is certainly a huge disappointment. If I can't make too much progress in this game I'm going to go straight to Mega Man 11. From what little I've played it plays far better, looks a lot better, and is a far more polished game. Plus, you can select your powerups and health on the pause screen! I've died loads of times trying to switch weapons in real time on Mighty No 9. Also, if you die with a health powerup, you automatically lose it.

1 hour ago, Vergil said:

Try 20XX . Harder but better game apperantely. I haven't got it yet myself but never seems to go on sale lol

I don't know if I ever get around to it.

• Like 2

On 5.10.2021 at 3:09 AM, AJ_Radio said:

For anybody hoping to get the platinum for this game, do yourself a favor and skip it.

I think we knew all that since the release of the game 5 years ago. And you only had to look at the platinum rarity of 0.79% to know the 5/10 difficulty is BS. I mean, what did you even expect?

Okay so I've been stuck on Boss Rush since Monday. I'm at around 150 attempts or more, I know because I've actually kept track.

This mode brings out all the flaws of Mighty No 9. The biggest kicker for me is the fact that you have to switch weapons on the fly. Half the time, I get distracted or the boss comes charging at me in a seconds notice without me even seeing it coming. In truth, I'm at the 12 hour mark or so on the Boss Rush, and I still cannot get the respective trophies.

Challenge 36 needs no explanation, although I have most other challenges save for one which I'm saving for last (Challenge #23).

For a game that has gotten as much hate as Mighty No 9, as I honestly baffled this has nearly 700 platinum achievers on this website.

• Like 2