Don't play this frustrating pile of shit

AJ_Radio

Okay so I just obtained the platinum about 10 minutes ago.

I'm going to change my initial opinion on the overall difficulty of this game to about a 7 to 7.5 out of 10. I've certainly done harder stuff that was more skill intensive, but the fact is Mighty No 9 just wasn't designed all too well.

I'm a pretty big Mega Man fan, who hasn't really gotten around to the newer stuff in that franchise but I'm a fan nonetheless. The dash mechanic in Mighty No 9 took me ages to finally master, because I was so used to just hitting enemies until they died in Mega Man. Basically, you have to absorb enemies, and until you actually absorb them they are still a threat.

This game has literally a ton of instakill locations, you're going to die a LOT on your first playthrough of the game. I think that is what makes so many people give up on Mighty No 9, it certainly leaves a bad impression and the graphics are subpar. It's completely understandable why backers were upset with this, that $4 million was largely wasted.

I was stuck on Challenge 36 and the Boss Rush for several days. For Challenge 36 you have to play the entire game from start to finish without dying once. That means if you make a simple mistake at any point, you have to start all the way from the beginning. This alone makes the game a bit frustrating, considering this is a platformer with an emphasis on speed. It's all too easy to die to the purple electricity, which is the equivalent of the spikes in Mega Man games.

The Boss Rush had me stuck for quite a while, and was the last thing I needed for the platinum. All of the bosses are set to Hyper difficulty, which is the hardest setting in the game. You have to study every one of them and try not to get hit. Easier said than done.

Hyper difficulty also had me stumped. Some of the bonuses you have to go for trophy wise can be pretty tricky.

Very frustrating experience. Anybody going for the platinum in this, I wish you luck. You definitely need a good amount of patience to tackle it. Be prepared to die over and over and over and over.

• Like 4

It lost me once I figured that you have to use other weapons to get bonuses out of certain bosses. Yes, I'm THAT guy who enjoys beating Rock/MegaMan bosses with default weapon by developing strategy (and I'm pretty sure I did the same with M#9). But that weapon crap (without guide, mind you) feels unrewarding and boring to me so I put it down and away. Maybe I'll finish it occasionally but for now it's buried under my entire backlog and a whole bunch of other MM and MM-like games.

Edited by VegaMan-X4
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I think this game gets too much shit. Was this game a huge letdown from its hype? Yes. Did the game have many game breaking technical issues at launch? Also yes.

In its current state is it at 'bad' game? Not really. And honestly those sites who'd rank it one of the worst games they've ever played or anything like that I feel hasn't played enough games. If we want to compare with other popular disappointments for example this is at least more fun to play through than, say, Fallout 76 or Cyberpunk 2077.

It's pretty much a discount Mega Man game of sorts really. Not a 'bad' one, but not up to the heights of that franchise and there's other indie titles that do a better job at delivering that type of game. In a sale or something though I'd say it's worth picking up and giving a try.

I think the difficulty is quite overrated at times too, the 5/10s sound appropriate to me as a middle-of-the-road level of difficulty. It's not particularly easy but it's not exactly hard either. It's much easier than your typical Mega Man game and other imitators.

If it weren't for its notoriety I reckon most people who got this game would have played it and then mostly forgotten about it with no strong feelings either way. It's quite an average title without all the Kickstarter story behind it making it seem much worse than it is.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I do understand your frustration and your review is fair and the game has many nasty flaws.

Still, I was able to get the platinum trophy.

Beating all stages in a row without any deaths was a pain, the boss rush was tough and beating the game under an hour was not fun either.

Still, do not you think that people mock this game a lot,

but getting the platinum was actually very rewarding ?

We still have the skills that pay the bills.

As for Megaman games - I was able to get platinum trophies in Megaman X1 and X2 Legacy collections and the Zero/ZX/ZX Advent collection,

so I know how much more entertaining most of these original Megaman games are.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. Guide writer of Mighty No. 9 here. The reason I labeled this game as a 5/10 difficulty is because of the fact that all of the trophies (minus 3 of them, from my experience) are pretty easy to obtain, plus I was thinking about how a non-experienced gamer/trophy hunter would fare when playing this game for the first time. Now if the game made it harder to obtain all of the trophies, then I would have changed the difficulty as such.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2022 at 11:01 PM, GarciaFever said:

Hello. Guide writer of Mighty No. 9 here. The reason I labeled this game as a 5/10 difficulty is because of the fact that all of the trophies (minus 3 of them, from my experience) are pretty easy to obtain, plus I was thinking about how a non-experienced gamer/trophy hunter would fare when playing this game for the first time. Now if the game made it harder to obtain all of the trophies, then I would have changed the difficulty as such.

Super old post but no need to explain yourself. The highest I'd give this game difficulty wise would be a 6. 

People don't understand that giving games like this higher ratings like an 8 would completely invalidate ratings of games that actually deserve it. 

This Plat isn't particularly hard. 

• Like 4