One of the best games ever

lumphy101

I been holding out on this game for a year now ... Not sure I will pick it up cause the dlc I have to play to get 100 % on the game I know it sounds silly but the dlc is the only reason im not picking it up! Make me think twice about this! Plus I dont think I what to keep playing the challenges if they get to hard and annoying and just frustrating ....

• Like 1

I been holding out on this game for a year now ... Not sure I will pick it up cause the dlc I have to play to get 100 % on the game I know it sounds silly but the dlc is the only reason im not picking it up! Make me think twice about this! Plus I dont think I what to keep playing the challenges if they get to hard and annoying and just frustrating ....

Same thing about DLC.

I know what you mean about DLC, but honestly it really wasn't that hard if you complete the DLC after you finish the game and have all the upgrades to the character (Kat). All you really need is time, I only remember one trophy for one DLC that was kind of annoying and took a few tries, but wasn't too bad. 100% is definitely doable, at least for me! lol - again you've just got to have time to play it all, it's got some "challenges" scattered across the city, but they aren't hard after progressing through the game and unlocking upgrades and stuff. I actually remember the challenges as being more fun and not really annoying when playing the game with my character fully upgraded after finishing the games story.

Edited by BlindMango

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I haven't finished this game yet, but damn I love it so far. What a fun action RPG. It is just so unique being able to control the forces of gravity and use them to your advantage in defeating the Nevi monsters and traveling around. I am pretty stoked for Gravity Rush 2, but I am super disappointed that it is not going to be available for the PS Vita. Of course from a financial standpoint that makes perfect sense since such a quality game will sell much more on the PS4 compared to the vita. It would have been nice if they would release it for the PS4 and PS Vita. It will still be enjoyable on console though I am sure! 

• 11 months later...

I just got my 100%. What a sweet game. I love the way they used gravity as the game's main object. Not to mention the story, the characters, the sense of humour, the dlc! Some of the challenges did try my patience like the air boat challenge in the base game and the rift plane health race in the Spy Pack. But they're all doable with high stats and some practice. I would highly recommend this game to anyone. 

• 8 months later...

I thought Gravity Rush was excellent on vita, and worked surprisingly well when ported to PS4, but Gravity Rush 2 left me cold.

It was bigger and better looking in most meaningful ways, but the dull new story, pointless additional gravity mechanics and the much worse, much buggier mission design muddied the waters, diluting the great concepts of the first game into an over-long, overly finicky grind-a-thon.

I was very let down by it :( 

Still love the first one though! :) 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25.12.2013 at 7:05 PM, lumphy101 said:

I just got a Vita for Christmas and downloaded Gravity Rush for free on PS+. Let me tell you, this is an amazing game. The story is amazing and the graphics are very well done. The open world is a HUGE plus. The controls are amazing and the trophies are an added bonus. This is a perfect game. 10/10.

I know it's an old thread but I play the game right now and wanted to check what the site thinks of it. Excuse me but "amazing controls"? The controls are one of the worst. Don't get me wrong, I like the game but the controls are way too wonky and combined with the horrible camera it makes the game awful at times. The motion controlls are atrocious but mandatory for the challenges. This game is like Assassin's Creed. You only know how bad certain mechanics are if you go for the platinum and not just stop after the story.

No wonder more people have the platinum on the PS4 version than on the Vita. Sorry but the IDEA of the game is good, the realization however is pretty bad and for me not even close to a perfect game. Tearaway knew how to implement the Vita's mechanics, Gravity Rush failed in that regard and it actually baffles me that so many people adore this game as a whole. The story, the art direction and Kat as character are great but that is not enough to make an amazing game.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

I know it's an old thread but I play the game right now and wanted to check what the site thinks of it. Excuse me but "amazing controls"? The controls are one of the worst. Don't get me wrong, I like the game but the controls are way too wonky and combined with the horrible camera it makes the game awful at times. The motion controlls are atrocious but mandatory for the challenges. This game is like Assassin's Creed. You only know how bad certain mechanics are if you go for the platinum and not just stop after the story.

No wonder more people have the platinum on the PS4 version than on the Vita. Sorry but the IDEA of the game is good, the realization however is pretty bad and for me not even close to a perfect game. Tearaway knew how to implement the Vita's mechanics, Gravity Rush failed in that regard and it actually baffles me that so many people adore this game as a whole. The story, the art direction and Kat as character are great but that is not enough to make an amazing game.

Have you tried "gettin gud? :P

No seriously, I understand what you are saying. I remember when I first started playing it I was so frustrated. Eventually though the game just clicked for me and I ended up really enjoying how it played.

I guess it is either a "get used to it or not" kind of game. 

I will also completely agree that Tearaway did such a great job with the vita controls...it is why the Vita version of Tearaway is so much better than the PS4 version.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:31 PM, Gommes_ said:

The controls are objectively nowhere near "one of the worse". The controls are primarily great, especially on ground: not snappy, not loose, not restricted, etc. The air is only a bit awkward because momentum, which is not overshot or the opposite, is an existent aspect. Complaining about the (aerial) controls because you can't stop on the dime and traverse in a perfectly straight line is nonsense. The same 'complaint' can be made for Just Cause 3 and 4 with the wing-suit and grappling hook mechanics, which there are no major problems with, in that case. Now the camera, which is not related to controls, isn't amazing (as if any 3D, character-action third person games are), but it isn't "horrible". Motion controls aren't "atrocious" either, especially since the game gives you the option to alter its sensitivity. For increased perspective sake, remind me which types of challenges the motion controls are mandatory for outside the sliding races.

The PS4 version having more people with its platinum trophy isn't proof that the Vita version sucks. You literally formed that conclusion without factual evidence. No, the game is definitely good as well. Gravity Rush did well enough with the Vita mechanics to say the least. They're prominent, reminding you that the game is in-fact a Vita one, and the execution is mostly ok and reasonable. Better than the sixaxis design in Uncharted Drake's Fortune. Between the game allowing you to change the sensitivity of the regular camera and motion camera across non-numerical levels and the design of gameplay mechanics, like the gravity slide and gravity kick, the former which has a drifting feature by merely taking one finger off the screen, and the latter which doesn't require players to perfectly or even near perfectly match up the blue reticle in order to land successful hits on enemies, there is just no way possible that the controls and vita features are as bad as you've claimed. 

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EcoShifter said:

The controls are objectively nowhere near "one of the worse". The controls are primarily great, especially on ground: not snappy, not loose, not restricted, etc. [...]

Motion controls aren't "atrocious" either, especially since the game gives you the option to alter its sensitivity. For increased perspective sake, remind me which types of challenges the motion controls are mandatory for outside the sliding races.

Believe it or not but I was referring to the sliding races and yes, I still think they atrocious. Touching the lower right and left sides at the same time so slide, shake the vita to jump and tilt it to steer is not fun at all and also does not come naturally. If it does for you, great. For me it doesn't work and it feels rubbish.

The PS4 version having more people with its platinum trophy isn't proof that the Vita version sucks. You literally formed that conclusion without factual evidence.

Duh, this is a forum not a scientific site. I just wrote it, cause I think that it's one of the reasons. One reason could be that Gravity Rush was free with PS Plus on the Vita, other reason could be the improved controls on the PS4, since they got rid of the motion control crap. Btw motion control is always annoying for me and for many people as well. It was something developers put in because of the zeitgeist, not because it improved every game. To this day I haven't played Skyward Sword because of motion controls and I hope Nintendo ports it to the Switch eventually. And how I mentioned before, Tearaway did a good job implementing other control schemes that didn't feel forced. I also stated that I generally like Gravity Rush, just not the controls.

Between the game allowing you to change the sensitivity of the regular camera and motion camera across ten levels and the design of gameplay mechanics, like the gravity slide and gravity kick, the former which has a drifting feature, and the latter which doesn't require players to perfectly or even near perfectly match up the blue reticle in order to land successful hit on enemies, there is just no way possible that the controls and vita features are as bad as you've claimed. 

Yes they are ;) And most games let you change the sensitivity of the camera but still do a bad job.

@Gommes_ Gravity Rush was an amazing game, at the time it came out. Its use of the Vita's features definitely made it more challenging than the PS4 version, though. One of the DLC challenges looks like it'd be an absolute nightmare on the Vita.. Having played the much easier and improved control system of the PS4 version first, I can understand you not liking it. 

Are they bad controls because of this? Maybe. But I still had fun with it, and felt a great deal of accomplishment when I got the Plat for this version.

• Like 1