Asset flip?

MMDE

Some of you may know the concept of "asset flip". For those that doesn't, it's when a developer just buy some nice assets and puts little to no work creating a game of it, just to put it up for sale as an actual original game.

Aery has become a series of games now:

(Faery is something totally different, I've actually 100% that one, an RPG for PS3)

I was looking at the Calm Mind game. This is the trailer from the PSN store:
https://vulcan.dl.playstation.net/img/rnd/202106/0410/Tz9S4IghidYxBZl0bU8m7qcc.mp4

What do I see? Well, I recognize some of the areas, and I remember from where as well. It's from a totally different game, by a totally different developer, not related whatsoever AFAIK.

Comparing the two:

image.png

The forest area uses the same sprites too.

Dreaming Canvas by itself is an asset flip for sure. It's just these same assets put together as 4 worlds you can visit and flip some screen filters. That's it, that's the entire game.

What is this Aery game like though? It's just flying through similar asset worlds collecting some collectible. Yes, that's it.

Just thought you may want to know before you buy one of these at the IMO high prices they are asking for them... It's near no work put into them, it's not original art or assets. Just stuff they bought cheap in some asset store, if they didn't pirate it or get it for free, likely randomly put together, either by hand or by some engine this comes with. Add some screen filter to create a nice mood. Add some flying mechanic and some collectibles with some simple game logic for the gameplay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VELOCIOUS-VIPER said:

my guy is making hella bank prolly too for very little work considering it has a plat

i still dont know how games are determined whether or not they should have a plat 

Yeah, they are pricey too, and then they pretend you get a good deal with a high discount. Also, it looks pleasing to the eye, may remind them of Flower, which I never saw the appeal in, but it's the same thing pretty much, just this one seems to be waaaay more basic.

The dev can decide if it should have plat or not, so yes, those games without plat now, that's on the dev.

Just to give another example:

^ Those are from Aery.

This is from Dreaming Canvas:

You don't see it well in the Dreaming Canvas picture, but you can see it in the video, the mountains around is very similar, and yes, both a dale.

Look at the trees, the "spruce" looking ones are the exact same, same with the one on the left in the Dreaming Canvas image, you can see it in the second Aery image.

Both got a ponds/lakes and rivers going down to it, with those tree bridges. Similarly shaped stones, even in the water. Similar looking houses. The logs and the giant boulders laying around. Same color scheme with maybe slightly different filter.

Both games had beach / desert areas, but they seemed to use slightly different looking trees or something idk.

16 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Yeah, they are pricey too, and then they pretend you get a good deal with a high discount. Also, it looks pleasing to the eye, may remind them of Flower, which I never saw the appeal in, but it's the same thing pretty much, just this one seems to be waaaay more basic.

The dev can decide if it should have plat or not, so yes, those games without plat now, that's on the dev.

dam thats insane i didnt think it was their choice

its so strange that many games dont have platniums, wouldnt it be a good idea to always include plats, im sure they know about trophy hunters lol

22 hours ago, visighost said:

I wouldn’t mind if they were fun, but I played one and it was -horrible-. I’d strongly encourage everyone not to support them. There’s enough quality games with easy platinums out there that no one should need these.

yea but theres always the ppl trying to get highest on the leaderboard

btw can i ask what are a couple of your favorite challenging games with ultra rares?

22 hours ago, MMDE said:

i need to get in on this business lol psn profiles shows lots of people bought these games 

• 1 year later...

Bought this game to fill in the "non-violent" option on my bingo card. It was on sale so it was cheap but feckin' hell do I regret it. I think that's the worst way I've ever spent a few bucks. I was looking forward to it because I have bad anxiety so constantly playing fighting games and dealing with enemies and jump scares... sometimes it's just nice to have a relaxing, simple game where I can turn my brain off. I thought that was this - just a bird flying through the sky collecting feathers. I was here for that but jesus christ, this game is absolute trash. Instead of being calm and relaxed like it promised, I was ready to throw my controller.

it's funny because I recently played Dreaming Canvas before that (another dirt cheap game I regret) and I didn't even notice that. I can't really blame them for it because it's a cheap, easy way to make a lot of money. But their game is a buggy, trashy mess that they can't even be bothered to fix. I was excited at first knowing there were so many in the series but hell nah, not making that mistake again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 08/01/2023 at 2:22 PM, Annoyingtiger888 said:

Bought this game to fill in the "non-violent" option on my bingo card. It was on sale so it was cheap but feckin' hell do I regret it. I think that's the worst way I've ever spent a few bucks.

... sometimes it's just nice to have a relaxing, simple game where I can turn my brain off. I thought that was this - just a bird flying through the sky collecting feathers. I was here for that but jesus christ, this game is absolute trash.

their game is a buggy, trashy mess that they can't even be bothered to fix.

I have to second this.  Just finished Calm Mind myself, and by God do I regret buying it.  Some of the levels were okay, and didn't present any problems, but the ones that were amost entirely white.... what were they thinking?!  You're controlling a bird that is largely white in colour, looking for white collectibles in a level that is so bright it may as well be pure white, and to top it all off, your on-screen collectible tracker..... is WHITE!  These levels invariably resulted in incredibly laggy movement, like the bird was trying to swim through tar.

I thought this might be, as its name implies, a calm way to pass a couple of hours, but holy hell.