New Resident Evil movie looks true to game [Trailer]

NMErickson

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City, the newest live action RE film coming out Nov. 24 might be closest to the game of all the RE movies. It even recreates certain scenes. I was pleasantly surprised by the trailer.

Edit. It is based off events of RE 1 and RE2 and is a reboot of the series. Features the characters Claire Redfield, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Leon S. Kennedy, Albert Wesker, William Birkin, Ada Wong, Chief Brian Irons, Richard Aiken, and Lisa Trevor.

Edited by NMErickson
Another trailer

17 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Looks surprisingly fun. Just the choice of music is a bit weird. 

Haha, I agree and yea it is. Seems trailers now all have remixes of well known songs. Then you never hear it in the actual film. I guess for it to get in your head and get pumped for it. This one was an interesting choice. My favorite one was the War Pigs remix for 300: Rise of an Empire. That was badass.

8 minutes ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

Not really. It "borrows" scenes from the game and that's pretty much it.

I like Kaya Scodelario (did great in "Crawl") but NO. Doesn't look good (or "true to the game" as OP puts it).

Thanks for your opinion. It’s cool how we all have different ones.

• Like 2

It definitely looks like the closest we've got so far to a faithful film adaptation. I'm really optimistic for this. Only criticism I have is the reliance on CGI for some of the creatures. Prosthetics/animatronics with CGI touch-ups are way more timeless than pure CGI effects. I'll definitely go see this at the cinema.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 2

I wonder if it will feel rushed if it combines so many elements from the first two games. Granted, it could skip over a bunch of material and just do the "greatest hits," but it seems unusual for an adaptation to take that appraoch since it could potentially hinder any future sequels/spin-offs they might be hoping to make by exhausting the well they're drawing from. 

• Like 1

What a terrible song choice for the trailer. The trailer itself doesn't hype me at all. I mean we surely can talk about the old movies and how good/bad they were. Did we need a reboot? I don't think so. I don't expect much from this. Maybe in 2005 this had hyped me, but now...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

It definitely looks like the closest we've got so far to a faithful film adaptation. I'm really optimistic for this. Only criticism I have is the reliance on CGI for some of the creatures. Prosthetics/animatronics with CGI touch-ups are way more timeless than pure CGI effects. I'll definitely go see this at the cinema.

Great summary and I agree with everything. Too often with video game adaptations we get watered down, “Hollywoodized” versions that can be fun popcorn flicks like the first Resident Evils but not even close to the source material. Maybe it’s too risky for studios and gotta go with the safe option to attract a broader audience. I like what they’re trying here with the reboot.

6 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Credit to @Slava for linking this in a status update - The Russian trailer is miles better than the English one. The editing is way smoother and there are some extra bits of footage not present in the crappy US version.

Nice!

7 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Credit to @Slava for linking this in a status update - The Russian trailer is miles better than the English one. The editing is way smoother and there are some extra bits of footage not present in the crappy US version.

The (russian) comments under this trailer are ripping it a new one. And not just "one" I'm afraid, lol.

• Like 1

Looks like the movie that should have been made in 2002 but CGI has evolved a bit since then, someone should have told them! Honestly, I saw a lot that intrigues me outside of the iffy CGI- I like the cast and I'll be interested in how they play the characters; if I wanted an exact match I'd just play the games.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Yeah that was better. 

Although i kind of wish someone would redub the English one with Zombie by the Cranberries. So it can really miss the mark ?

23 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I just found the same version of the trailer in English: 

Sometimes studios make "International" trailers specifiaclly for asian countries like China. Most of the time, they just include more action scenes and spoil big set pieces just to sell the movie better. In case with video game adaptations, they probably try to make the trailer more informative, because they expect these countries to be less familiar with the IP. Although Resident Evil games are pretty popular in Russia.

Anyway, this wasn't a Russian-specific trailer, and you didn't have to listen to our dub. Sorry for the confusion ?.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Some of the cgi looks terrible though

Yeah, some of it is rough and a little campy

Bl7Zs1G.png?1

EDIT: Am I seeing things, or was HUNK in the trailer?

Edited by Helyx

It would be another generic horror zombie movie if it didn't have Resident Evil logo slapped all over it. Most characters look or behave nothing like the source material and they are cramming two games worth of lore into one movie, which already looks like a mess. No Barry or Rebecca, the CGI looks cheap, especially on what I assume is suppose to be Birkin. I am a massive Resident Evil fan and this just looks awful.

The only thing I liked was the look of the licker, the rest is either underwhelming or downright awful. 

• Like 4

The movies also featured many characters from the game and they were all terrible so that doesn't say much, I really don't see how this is gonna be any different just another lame attempt at using some stuff from the games with a spin, meh so far but will watch anyway.

Don't know what it is about the trailer but it just feels more like a fan film, direct-to-dvd or tv series rather than a film being released into cinemas. Some of the wonky CGI doesn't help with that. HOWEVER, that's not meant in an overly negative way and the trailer has done it's job in at least making me a little curious about seeing it. Probably not at the cinema but maybe when it comes to streaming.

Even if it turns out to be a trainwreck, it can't be worse than the last film, which has some of the worst editing I have ever seen in the history of cinema. At least this one can hold on a shot for more than a second.