Yakuza 8: Infinite Wealth (coming January 26, 2024)

28 minutes ago, Xugoshi said:

Will Yakuza 8 go back to it's roots and not be an RPG this time around?

As much as I want it to be live action, it's not happening unfortunately with Ichiban as the lead. They've pretty much laid the grounds with the whole dragon quest inspired RPG which defines Ichiban's character and his interaction with his mates. 

At least we'll always have the spin-offs to get our live action fix. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PooPooBlast said:

As much as I want it to be live action, it's not happening unfortunately with Ichiban as the lead. They've pretty much laid the grounds with the whole dragon quest inspired RPG which defines Ichiban's character and his interaction with his mates. 

At least we'll always have the spin-offs to get our live action fix. 

But did they confirm it though? I thought the turn-based RPG was a way for SEGA to test the waters and see if it was profitable? If it wasn't they'd go back to the old formula? Don't get me wrong though I love turn-based RPG's heck I even grew up with them, but I just don't want them in my Yakuza games...? I wouldn't mind if they went the action RPG route though. 

16 minutes ago, Xugoshi said:

But did they confirm it though? I thought the turn-based RPG was a way for SEGA to test the waters and see if it was profitable? If it wasn't they'd go back to the old formula? Don't get me wrong though I love turn-based RPG's heck I even grew up with them, but I just don't want them in my Yakuza games...1f616.png I wouldn't mind if they went the action RPG route though. 

They confirmed it earlier this year, Yakuza games are now turn-based RPGs, Judgment has taken over as their action series: 

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-yakuza-series-will-be-a-turn-based-rpg-series-fully-going-forward

Edited by StacFace92
  • Like 2

Thank you for sharing this amazing announcement! ? When I platinumed Yakuza LAD earlier this year I was initially quite sad that I wouldn't see the story's characters any more, and so I brought them all for a final meal at one of the local restaurants ? Can't wait to be back in action with that amazing cast of characters!

Here is to hoping they don't make the Sewer Area the best grindable Level-Up spot ?

6 hours ago, StacFace92 said:

They confirmed it earlier this year, Yakuza games are now turn-based RPGs, Judgment has taken over as their action series: 

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-yakuza-series-will-be-a-turn-based-rpg-series-fully-going-forward

I mean that's ok but I found Judgement that boring I never finished it. And the hard copies went pretty cheap quickly so who knows whether this formula will stick.

• 6 months later...

Yakuza Super Talk Stage Event Will Be Streamed April 29th

Sega will be hosting a Super Talk event for the Yakuza series this month.

On April 29th at Niconico Chokaigi, the show will feature director Masayoshi Yokoyama who was recently made the head of RGG Studio after the departure of Toshihiro Nagoshi who left to join NetEase.

The event will be streamed online although it will likely only be in Japanese as it’s exclusively being streamed on a Japanese platform. They’ve promised we’ll hear about the past, present and future of the Yakuza franchise with information that only Yokoyama would be able to share. With major changes at the studio the new heads have been trying to calm people’s fears that the series will be seriously affected by this.

https://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv336501347

• 2 months later...

After strugling with the idea of turn based combat, I finally decided to get 7. Havent started yet but Im hoping ill like it.

My current problem with these series is that I like the combat in Judgment but I dont care about the detective story, and I like the Yakuza story but might not like the combat...

Really hoping they actually balance the combat decently this time. I really wanted to enjoy Like A Dragon, but the damage and resource starvation was ridiculous to me… to say nothing of the sudden surprise difficulty spikes (especially after hour-long sequences full of cutscenes and exploration, then surprise, here’s a boss(es) 15 levels higher than you, who would be borderline brutally unfair if you were on par with them, let alone as you are now! Have fun!)

Of course, the combat is just the start of my issues with Like A Dragon. It just felt “off” in so many ways, most of them hard to put my finger on, that it makes my issues with the combat stand out even further. I’ll give them one more shot, but I suspect I’m going to be stuck in spin-off city from here on out unless something big changes.

• 1 month later...

A Sneak Peek at Yakuza 8 May Be Coming Next Week, SEGA Teases

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio TV #12.5 set for September 8 featuring “sneak peek trailer”

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/ryu-ga-gotoku-studio-tv-12-5-set-for-september-8-featuring-sneak-peek-trailer