Yakuza 8: Infinite Wealth (coming January 26, 2024)

The rebranding honestly makes sense plotwise 

Spoiler

Considering a major plot twist in 7 involves the omi alliance and tojo clan disbanding. And the final few chapters basically involve the fallout of this decision and you trying to prevent a new splinter group from reforming the oni under new leadership.

But honestly i feel they should have kept the yakuza branding for the gaiden game they just announced and everything else use the like a dragon name as it feels like a rocky/creed situation where yakuza was kiryus series and like a dragon ichibans series which mirrors the way the rocky franchise had creed become the main series going forward.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A new set of trailers has been released for IW. And in good old RGG fashion, the new story trailer shows some massive spoilers (including late game stuff), so watch it at your own risk.

Digital pre-orders are now live on all platforms as well.

But here's the most important thing: RGG also revealed the release date, it's January 26, 2024. One week before Persona 3 Reload.

Edited by Suminya

The only bad thing is that New Game+ and Normal/Hard/Legend difficulties will potentially get pay-locked, under the Masters Vacation Pack, just like how it did for Ryu ga Gotoku 7/Yakuza Like a Dragon's Asian releases.

spacer.png

More info, and the source, can be found here (though it's subject to change) : https://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/eight/asia_en/

Edited by XxIsa-GxX
added screenshot.

I'm not familiar with Yakuza games and interested in starting them out, but is Yakuza 7 and 8 separate from 0-6? Would I be fine starting at 7 then 8 just cause I prefer the turn-based combat. Also what about the Man Who Erased His Name game, is that a spinoff?

Edited by PostGameBlues

1 minute ago, PostGameBlues said:

I'm not familiar with Yakuza games and interested in starting them out, but is Yakuza 7 and 8 separate from 0-6? Would I be fine starting at 7 then 8 just cause I prefer the turn-based combat. Also what about the Man Who Erased His Name game, is that a spinoff?

You can enjoy 7-8 without playing 0-6, but there are references to the other titles and I would probably say one of the bigger revelations towards the end of 7 would fall a bit flat if you didn't know who the characters were, or how significant certain organizations were. That said, I think Ichiban's story stands well on its own and is enhanced if you are familiar with the past titles.

A Man Who Erased His Name is set between 6 and 7 and explains how the main character of the original games (Kiryu) got to where he was in 7 after the events of 6 (at least that is what my understanding is from the promotional material I have seen). It is also an excuse to keep making games using the old battle system, which is what the Judgment games were intended to do, but it seemed unlikely that the franchise would continue due to an actor's likeness not being usable.

I'd recommend playing the whole franchise, but you can definitely get away with just starting with 7.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

You can enjoy 7-8 without playing 0-6, but there are references to the other titles and I would probably say one of the bigger revelations towards the end of 7 would fall a bit flat if you didn't know who the characters were, or how significant certain organizations were. That said, I think Ichiban's story stands well on its own and is enhanced if you are familiar with the past titles.

A Man Who Erased His Name is set between 6 and 7 and explains how the main character of the original games (Kiryu) got to where he was in 7 after the events of 6 (at least that is what my understanding is from the promotional material I have seen). It is also an excuse to keep making games using the old battle system, which is what the Judgment games were intended to do, but it seemed unlikely that the franchise would continue due to an actor's likeness not being usable.

I'd recommend playing the whole franchise, but you can definitely get away with just starting with 7.

Yeah, it seems like a series that you're gonna get a lot more out of if you play through the entire catalogue. I've started on Yakuza 5 on the PS3 ages ago when it became free on PS Plus and was completely lost in terms of the plot lmao. Touched Zero a couple years back but sadly dropped it (think a game came out which led to me losing interest). 

Yakuza has always been a series that I found very interesting and charming so I'm really keen to get started. Thanks for this, completely answers what I was curious about. 

Just now, PostGameBlues said:

Yeah, it seems like a series that you're gonna get a lot more out of if you play through the entire catalogue. I've started on Yakuza 5 on the PS3 ages ago when it became free on PS Plus and was completely lost in terms of the plot lmao. Touched Zero a couple years back but sadly dropped it (think a game came out which led to me losing interest). 

Yakuza has always been a series that I found very interesting and charming so I'm really keen to get started. Thanks for this, completely answers what I was curious about. 

No problem. And yeah, I wouldn't recommend just playing any of the 0-6 entries out of order. The only exception is 0 because it technically came out after 5, but it's a prequel that has a lot of references to the rest of the franchise. You can either start with it or end with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

Yakuza 7 is independent enough to be played without 0-6, but is not the case of 8. While 8 is a sequel of 7, also is the return of the main character from 0 to 6 (Kiryu Kazuma) and the plot is VERY linked with him. So to fully understand not only the plot, but the very weight that this character is going to have in 8 is necessary to play from 0 to 6 to understand it.

Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man who erased his hame precisely is a game about Kiryu, and it link between the end of 6, going through 7 and to the start of 8, so is a canonical spinoff that also is very recommended to play.

• Like 1