Oh my god...the battle audio

Crispy_Oglop

I've been looking in the settings to see if I can mute my characters during battle. The messy voice lines rapidly overlapping, cutting each other out and the general buzz of all the characters speaking over each other is so so bad, especially while the combat sound effects are popping off at the same time. Am I missing something in the settings?

Outside of this, the game is great, but the combat sound design is just abysmal.

As in, all Tales games have this quality of sound design in combat?

I was trying to figure it out some more, i'm usually pretty tolerant. But this is basically 4 separate soundtracks playing simultaneously with exactly the same volume with no fading or alternating when they play at the same time.

They don't even prioritise any of the tracks they have playing simultaneously so everything is played at the same volume and frequency - Battle music, combat sound effects, scripted dialogue between each character and characters shouting the abilities they are using at the same time. It feels like i'm watching 2 or 3 youtube videos at the same time while Spotify is playing in the background.

Huh, I had no idea this was the norm. I wonder if this might actually put some newer players off from trying the franchise out.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

As in, all Tales games have this quality of sound design in combat?

I was trying to figure it out some more, i'm usually pretty tolerant. But this is basically 4 separate soundtracks playing simultaneously with exactly the same volume with no fading or alternating when they play at the same time.

They don't even prioritise any of the tracks they have playing simultaneously so everything is played at the same volume and frequency - Battle music, combat sound effects, scripted dialogue between each character and characters shouting the abilities they are using at the same time. It feels like i'm watching 2 or 3 youtube videos at the same time while Spotify is playing in the background.

Huh, I had no idea this was the norm. I wonder if this might actually put some newer players off from trying the franchise out.

I'm the new player to the Tales series and it did not put me off. I found it funny how all of party members shout all their skills names over and over and the same time and it just sounds riddicilous. Yeah it can be a little tiring after a while but definately no deal breaker for me. What i found more annoying is lack of "exploration music" Like you know,in FF series or Elder Scrolls you have this amazing music when you just walk around locations and explore. In this game every location has one track and it is always like "intense final siege battle with gigantic boss that topples down entire cities" music. And I'm just picking tomatos and some flowers...

Also combat music by itself is just bad. I was expecting similarity to FF music during it but here it just makes battles worse and im kinda glad that they shout so much during them coz i cant hear it that much heh.

And amount of talking in this game is insane. They really like to drag some conversations for long long time,especially with watching all the skits.

• Like 2

Speaking for myself, I have been able to tune out all the shouting during battles. My focus is on the battle music and whatever I'm trying to do in the combat at any given time. 

On 10/10/2021 at 5:59 AM, yoszek said:

What i found more annoying is lack of "exploration music" Like you know, in FF series or Elder Scrolls you have this amazing music when you just walk around locations and explore. In this game every location has one track and it is always like "intense final siege battle with gigantic boss that topples down entire cities" music. And I'm just picking tomatoes and some flowers...

Tales newbie here as well, and this comment made me LOL. I did notice after making my way into the third realm that wow, I really am listening to the same grandiose track I've been hearing since the start of the game. Is that a Tales norm? Different areas should def have different music to help you identify and observe each new area's personality. Oh well.

• 9 months later...

Started this game the other day, it's my first Tales of game. The constant yelling during combat is just ridiculous. Especially once you have 4 people in your party. I can't hear the battle music over their yelling!

I tried lowering voice volume, but then I couldn't hear the characters over the music during cutscenes, so that's not an option. All of this tells me they don't want you to hear the battle music, which is such a shame because I like Motoi Sakuraba's work. I'm currently at 80% music volume, 70% sound effects and voices. It's not much better than the default (80% everything), but at least it slightly mitigates my main issue with the game.