Do you keep your saves, delete them or store them on an external hard drive

amurnin100

I don't keep any indie title saves just because they're usually short and if needed be, you can play through again quite quickly if any dlc come out for those but for the bigger games, it's a must to keep the save files and I usually keep them on the system. If they are externally kept, you never know if you'll lose that drive or lose all the data via damage so system saves is the best option

• Like 2

Bigger games, yes. Smaller indie games, no.  I do think about dlc and long-term storage concerns where I may make an exception.

On another note, I hide my smaller indie games, demos, trials, and betas from my game collection knowing I won’t revisit them.

• Like 1

Due to the 1,000 saves limit in the ps+ cloud, you'll sooner or later have to make up your mind in terms of your approach. 

I don't see any point in voluntarily deleting your saves (and by that hours and hours of "work", even on indie titles which possibly feature DLC sometime down the line and / or get a PS5 re-release) because external space is readily available at a low price point these days. A mistake I almost made was to delete my A Plague Tale PS4 save. It would have been "correct" back then because no DLC was announced and there was no PS5 yet, but it has been a good decision to keep the save file externally, autopop was possible with that. Same thing with Borderlands, No Man's Sky and so on. 

tl;dr: My opinion is that they should be kept, no exceptions, because there's no need to make exceptions. 

• Like 3

I try to store them on backup usb and on multiple consoles since I pretty much ran out of PS+ cloud space for PS3, Vita, and PS4 saves. 

I also ran into an rest mode issue with my PS5 earlier this year where I had to factory reset it, so I lost some PS4 saves.

Considering I ran out of PS+ cloud space for PS4 saves, my PS5 wouldn't upload my PS4 saves automatically so I lost quite a bit of progress on the PS4 games where I only played it on that PS5. Because of that experience, I would delete some PS4 saves on PS+ so it would automatically upload some of the PS4 saves that I'm playing on my PS5. Although I would delete those saves on PS+ those saves are still on my other consoles. 

Sony really needs to fix the issue where you can only have 1000 PS4 saves on PS+ cloud even if you still have space in the 100GB allocated for PS4 saves. This has been an issue ever since they expanded the PS4 cloud storage from 10GB to 100GB.

• Like 1

I still have the majority of my saves going back to the PS1. No PS5 yet, but all of my PS4 and PS3 saves are backed up to the cloud and multiple USBs. There's also full PS2 and PS1 memory cards in my closet. ?

I dunno, I guess I just like to have them as a kind of proof that I beat all those games.

• Like 2

Seeing as I have way too many games, I  delete my saves on the cloud if it prompts me with the limit. I tend to run out of how many games you can store as saves on ps+ rather than the size capacity. Thanks to that I've lost a few game saves that have ps5 upgrades. No Man's Sky is the first thing that comes to mind. I'm going to have to grind that out again. 

• Like 1

When I'm at that particular menu every couple of months I tend to delete game saves that I know I won't go back to. I usually keep the games with dlcs that I haven't done, just in case there's a sale and I can get them extremely cheaply, which I usually don't because besides some very few exceptions, every dlc I've played was crap that was way worse than the main game. I keep saves from the games I might play again someday, but when I do, I ignore them and just start fresh. Seems pointless to keep them I guess. 

Then again, I've recently cleaned my old Dreamcast after it's been in the attic for a really long time, replaced the obviously dead battery in the VMU, turned it on, the saves were all there. Nostalgia hits hard, so maybe I should keep all my saves just to get that same feeling about current games 20 years from now ?

• Like 1

Since some games in the PS2 era, like Ratchet and Clank, not only had NG+ but also the ability to read saves from previous games I have largely kept my saves after finishing a game. As time has gone on I have stuck to this for the most part but I have become a bit more aggressive in deleting old saves. I actually used to go through my old saves and read the description of to look at the icons (PS 1 and 2) or just reminisce on that moment in a game.

Now however space is a commodity even with my external hard drive. I feel like saves are different now and so how I handle them is different too.

• Like 1

I save some online but delete most

Games I usually delete are

-Yearly releases

-Games that have a sequel

-Remasters/Remakes

1 hour ago, da-Noob123 said:

Since some games in the PS2 era, like Ratchet and Clank, not only had NG+ but also the ability to read saves from previous games

Yu-Gi-Oh games are like that. Especially the Tag Force games. There are like 6 of them and to have access to the entirety of the last game you have to have a save file from every previous installment. Sadly they are PSP-only games so no trophies or they would have been the first games I'd platinum. 

• Like 2

After each game I complete I delete all saves if the game is piss easy trophy-wise or otherwise takes any less than five hours to platinum/100%. Most AAA titles I save to the PS Plus cloud storage, either for keepsake or should I ever go back to them for fun or knowing they’re will/could be DLC trophy patches.

However I don’t keep all games I’ve cared about. Take Telltale Games’ for example and games I’ve completed on their legacy console editions with more recent versions available, Minecraft also comes to mind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShahinMiah said:

I usually keep them on the system. If they are externally kept, you never know if you'll lose that drive or lose all the data via damage so system saves is the best option

But you could just as easily lose system save data due to damage?

I back them up to a USB + keep them on storage. I don't have PS+ so I can't rely on Cloud saves. I have managed to save most of my saves, but some games that I've lost to lack of constant backing up have resulted in file losses like Minecraft, Spider-Man & Arkham Knight. Some more like Days Gone or RDR2 but those were only a handful of hours lost.

• Like 1