PSN Game shutdown discussion

mcnichoj

On 10/9/2021 at 2:47 PM, DizzyDavidson said:

This might be a longshot asking here but what is the situation with Rocksmith dlc on XBOX?

Does Rocksmith (2011) and Rocksith Remastered share the same dlc mening when they delist them they'll be gone for both?

I'm assuming yes but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Remaster has different DLC. The old DLC carries over.

If you don't buy it now, you lose it for all versions forever.

On 10/9/2021 at 4:53 PM, pot1414 said:

All three of them are published by sony so it is weird that they would shut them down like that without any notice. It's very possible that it is temporary as you said. Can someone with a twitter account message the devs? It is the same dev for all three.

They took off servers for the Uncharted card game (forget the name) without warning.

It's on the Vita so only like five people will complain which unfortunately isn't enough for Sony to give a shit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

They took off servers for the Uncharted card game (forget the name) without warning.

It's on the Vita so only like five people will complain which unfortunately isn't enough for Sony to give a shit.

Actually they didn't shut down the servers without a warning. There was a technical problem that they refused to fix and then a year later they did make an announcement for the closure. Again I would be curious about a reply from the devs from twitter or something like that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kolm said:

They don't really fit the standard 'Turned off without warning' though.
Servers were broken by DDOS'ers and hackers, those are the ones to blame. Devs worked on fixing the servers for months (which is already a rare case!) and in the end they were not able to fix it which meant nothing else was left apart from pronouncing them dead. They were able to fix LBP3 on PS4 with a patch and my guess is that they would've been able to patch the LBP games on PS3 and Vita as well with a similar patch but that Sony no longer accepts patches for those systems. There's a whole process patches have to go through on Sony's side to get verified and published and that process was probably ended together with when publishers could no longer publish new games for the systems.

Are you sure Sony no longer accepts patches for PS3 and Vita? Because i always see a new Helldivers update once every year.

Edited by Lance_87

14 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Are you sure Sony no longer accepts patches for PS3 and Vita? Because i always see a new Helldivers update once every year.

Not 100% sure but the new Terraria patch also only came to PS4 and not to PS3/PSVita while I don't see any technical reasons for that decision.

And it's about 6-7 months now I think that publishers can't publish new games for PS3/PSVita. It was 1 (or a few?) months before they would originally shutdown the PSN store on PS3 (2 July 2021). It's a similar verification process for new games and patches.

Edit: I might have gotten the exact dates wrong since when it's no longer possible to submit new games/patches. The part about publishing wasn't made public in the same way the store closure was made public. Only insiders got that info and shared it.

Edit 2: Apparently Terrarria is a bad example, it was not getting patches since 2016 on PS3 and Vita.
https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/07/27/terraria-updates-for-ps3-xbox-360-and-vita-will-end-in-september/

Edited by Kolm
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Not sure about ps3, but vita the last date to submit a patch was July 12th of this year

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/05/07/no-more-playstation-vita-games/

This^

The PS3 and Vita lost patch support on the same day but Sony bent the rules for a couple of particularly broken Vita games so they could be patched, even after the submission deadline expired. In the case of Helldivers, the last patch the PS4 version got was on April 7th of this year and I imagine the PS3 and Vita got it as well but it's almost certainly going to be the last one for the previous gen releases of the game.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kolm said:

They don't really fit the standard 'Turned off without warning' though.
Servers were broken by DDOS'ers and hackers, those are the ones to blame. Devs worked on fixing the servers for months (which is already a rare case!) and in the end they were not able to fix it which meant nothing else was left apart from pronouncing them dead. They were able to fix LBP3 on PS4 with a patch and my guess is that they would've been able to patch the LBP games on PS3 and Vita as well with a similar patch but that Sony no longer accepts patches for those systems. There's a whole process patches have to go through on Sony's side to get verified and published and that process was probably ended together with when publishers could no longer publish new games for the systems.

Why fix something when you can call it legacy title and drop support entirely?

Been there, done that.

LBP3 works only because PS4 is still making money. As for PS3 and PSV Ryan's Sony doesn't care, even if you paid for PS Plus for ten years and can't download the games anymore because some errors. Stopped playing for Plus for a month and your download history was wiped? Doesn't matter. Buy PS5 with GTAV and Skyrim. You're be popular. Can't do that with some ancient devices.

P.S. Hackers also attacked PSN in 2011. Everything was fixed in 6 weeks. Money talks. They dropped LPB and LBP2 2 months ago. Just forgot to tell everyone they can't plat those games anymore. 

Edited by PIOTREK27-1982
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PIOTREK27-1982 said:

Why fix something when you can call it legacy title and drop support entirely?

Been there, done that.

If you have been following the topic closely then you would know they actually tried to fix it. Servers came back from time to time to test if the new fixes were sufficient and some people were able to get their trophies during such a period. Communication was also more than a single message saying 'we're working on it' and then months later a single message 'we can't fix it'.
Some devs still have proud in their work and they wanted a working game for the community that still played it.

5 minutes ago, PIOTREK27-1982 said:

LBP3 works only because PS4 is still making money. As for PS3 and PSV Ryan's Sony doesn't care, even if you paid for PS Plus for ten years and can't download the games anymore because some errors. Stopped playing for Plus for a month and your download history was wiped? Doesn't matter. Buy PS5 with GTAV and Skyrim. You're be popular. Can't do that with some ancient devices. 

It's true that Ryan doesn't care about legacy and you can blame him for not allowing patches for older systems and all the other problems in recent years with PlayStation. But I doubt they make much money from keeping LBP3 online on PS4 nowadays. Even Killzone Shadowfall had some online functionality killed that was useful (website to setup stuff), which was announced beforehand.

LBP3 only came back on PS4 because the devs cared enough to get it fixed.
Titanfall 2 is a nice example of devs that don't care. It took them months to even admit that there's a problem with the online part but after that message, silence...

• Like 4

So some mod removed the posts about LBP1 and 2. I can understand they were off topic but where are they moved? I can't seem to find them.

They also contained useful information about patches on PS3/PSVita.

Edited by Kolm

13 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Off-topic posts tend to be deleted outright.

Wow... if that's true, that's kinda lame. I wasted a lot of time on looking things up for the information that I posted.
On our small forum we move them to a general off-topic topic so people can continue their conversation there, I hoped that was the case here as well.

I don't mind if they're moved but outright deleted would give a feeling of no longer wanting to spend time to explain something to people on here. Least they could do was ask to stay on topic first or smth. Oh well, we'll see if a mod replies. Can't seem to tag them in general.

@ThatMuttGuy: To avoid a tag to everyone. I completely get your point so I would have understood if they were moved somewhere else. But just deleting stuff because it's off topic while it still contains useful information that people didn't know... 

But I guess this is going to be deleted as well then, although I do hope some mod replies on why it's not just moved somewhere instead of deleted.

Edited by Kolm
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kolm said:

Wow... if that's true, that's kinda lame. I wasted a lot of time on looking things up for the information that I posted.
On our small forum we move them to a general off-topic topic so people can continue their conversation there, I hoped that was the case here as well.

I don't mind if they're moved but outright deleted would give a feeling of no longer wanting to spend time to explain something to people on here. Least they could do was ask to stay on topic first or smth. Oh well, we'll see if a mod replies. Can't seem to tag them in general.

I feel like this is so obvious that it shouldn't even need to be addressed, but your posts are deleted because this thread is for delistings and shutdown information only. You can discuss all that other stuff on another forum if you want, but you every time you reply on this thread, you alert 450+ people. They're not interested in petty back and forths about a game that's already shutdown. 

Just for future reference, this thread is for information concerning future shutdowns and delistings (or to add a game that somehow got missed), and not to argue about why a game is not supported. 

• Like 4

Not sure why my last post got deleted but whatever.

Here's a thread I made over on the Steam forums a while ago for Rocksmith DLC:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/205190/discussions/0/3055112595731739534/

Steam had a sale going on in July, so the prices I have there reflect that. Prices are much more now, only worth it for songs you really like.

16 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Not sure why my last post got deleted but whatever.

Here's a thread I made over on the Steam forums a while ago for Rocksmith DLC:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/205190/discussions/0/3055112595731739534/

Steam had a sale going on in July, so the prices I have there reflect that. Prices are much more now, only worth it for songs you really like.

It was moved to a new topic because things were going too much off topic. Best to continue the discussion there and tag the person again in that topic.

You can find the topic here: 

Edited by Kolm

1 hour ago, Bumperklever said:

@Daivv@Beyondthegrave07 @DaivRules I get notifications about this thread without even following it as depicted below in the followers list.

I am assuming many others get it too. 

Edit: wasn't meant to tag daivv, but I can't remove it on mobile. 

I cleared the Followers to this thread. That should stop your notifications. 

• Like 1