Not As Easy As The 98% Completion Rate Makes It Appears

poetic_justice_

I am a gamer of average skill, and platformers are one of my least favorite genres. However, the 80's synth soundtrack in the trailer of Pinkman+ sounded awesome, and a friend recommended the game after earning the platinum. Looking at PSNProfiles and seeing the high completion percentage (98%), I thought, "Oh, okay. Pinkman+ looks doable." After investing a couple of hours into this game and adding several profanity-heavy outbursts for good measure, I have changed my mind. Currently on level 30, in another one of those damnable chimneys-from-hell sequences the sadistic developers gleefully employ, I feel a need to warn my fellow average/below average platformer gamers to beware of Pinkman+. It is not as easy as the 98% completion rate makes it look.

Up to this point, I've avoided YouTube guides, as I feel a game should stand on its own two feet. Plus, I'd like to earn the trophies myself. The controls are very unforgiving in Pinkman's chimney sequences, and I do feel the developers have a sadistic streak. Sometimes I'll clear a tough chimney just to be slaughtered by a cannon at the top. The homing missiles are incredibly accurate, and unless you know the precise blocks to detonate incoming fire, jumping/running is pointless. The missiles will find you. The Circle controls for gliding are crap. Checkpoint placement is alright on most levels, but certain levels could use 1-2 more.

Games should be fun, and Pinkman+ isn't as much fun as I hoped it would be. The video guides say things like "20-Minute Platinum", but watching that person play, I know he spent more than 20 minutes to achieve the level of in-game skill he displays. I enjoy dying to the soundtrack, but I'm not looking forward to another 16 levels. 

Edited by poetic_justice_

7 minutes ago, poetic_justice_ said:

567 games, 18.5 thousand trophies, 80% completion, #157 player in Canada. You display above average skill. The post wasn't intended for you.

What this even mean? If someone had 500 stackable games, all above 90%, was on top of their country with EZPZ Platinums, this means they also are "above average players"? Not everyone cares about their completion rate, they start whatever they buy, that doesn't mean they are "average" skill players...

Regardless, yeah, 98% rarity should be a pain to an "average" skill like yourself. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't make any sense you denied a comment from another person based on his profile -_-

I think there are certain YouTubers who cut out all deaths and downplay the time it takes to finish easy plat games but I think Pinkman+ is something most somewhat experienced gamers will be able to finish within an hour or so. I'd say 20-40 minutes is a good estimate of the completion time. There are also no missable trophies so anyone who reaches level 46 or whatever it was will get the platinum. 98% platinum rate doesn't surprise me.

• Like 1

In my first post I wrote, “For average/below average platform gamers, Pinkman+ is more difficult than the 98% completion rate makes it appear.” The post was written for average/below average platform gamers as a warning. Some of the levels are tricky.

Regarding Doucet-18, after reviewing his trophy card, I wrote that the thread wasn’t for him. Somehow my statement was interpreted as a dismissive attack on Doucet-18, which was not the case. If you look at his trophy card, Doucet-18 has the platinum and/or 100% on games like Beat Saber, Binary Domain, Overwatch, Rock Band 4, Uncharted 4, and WipeoutHD. He is ranked #157 in Canada and has approximately 400 games at 100% completion. This skill level makes him an above-average gamer. 

My response to him was not an insult or dismissal; it was a compliment. Based on his skill level, I don’t believe Pinkman+ would be a struggle for Doucet-18. It has been for me, and it may be for other players who are not strong in the platforming genre.

If I have offended anyone, that was not my intent, and I apologize. I simply think Pinkman+ is tougher than its 98% completion percentage would indicate. 

For anyone interested, Pinkman+ is only $2.50 US until October 20th. Purchasing the game will get you both the PS4 and PS5 versions.

• Like 2