Is this game good for horror beginners?

As all of you know, it’s October and Halloween is coming by so I want to play a good horror game. I’ve always wanted to try this game but I’ve never been good at horror games in my life. I get easily spooked by anything and I’m just terrible at it. Is this game beginner friendly? I do want to get this game and go for the platinum but I’m scared that I will pussy out and give up quite easily. I’m willing to take any advice as well like if I should play this in VR or not.

1 hour ago, Drizzora- said:

As all of you know, it’s October and Halloween is coming by so I want to play a good horror game. I’ve always wanted to try this game but I’ve never been good at horror games in my life. I get easily spooked by anything and I’m just terrible at it. Is this game beginner friendly? I do want to get this game and go for the platinum but I’m scared that I will pussy out and give up quite easily. I’m willing to take any advice as well like if I should play this in VR or not.

If you want a really good horror game I would say give resident evil 2 remake a go or even white day or even alan wake remastered. all of them games are good if you ask me for beginners when it comes to horror. If you want to go retro go for silent hill 1 on the ps3 store if it is still there or even alone in the dark a night nightmare on ps2. Both of them games are easy to get and if you want more horror go for any of the other sh games.

Any of the Five nights at freddies games is just jump scares so I would say it is not really a good horror game to go for as loud sounds and so on can easily be done in other games like say outlast and so on.

• Like 1

Haven't played it but if you get spooked easily, then a game in a franchise built around jump scares (especially in VR) probably isn't the best bet.

It all depends on what sort of game and how much "horror" you want to put yourself through. Things like Doom and WWZ lean more into the action side but still have aspects of horror. Bloodborne isn't in-your-face horror but has more of an unsettling otherworldly vibe. Until Dawn is akin to a horror Tell Tale game and the VR spin off is a on rails shooter. There's so much out there that there's bound to be something to suit your horror tastes/comfort zone.

However, it might be worth to wait a week or so as they usually do a spooky game sale on the store around this time and whichever game you go with might be cheaper then.

6 hours ago, Drizzora- said:

FNAF Help Wanted is not a bad choice at all. In fact, many people have been introduced to the horror genre by a FNAF game. They were uber popular on mobile years ago.  Help Wanted is a larger game than the main entries and does have VR which makes it a unique experience. The trophy didn’t seem easy but is obtainable with enough dedication. The problem I have FNAF type of games is they rely on jump scares to scare the player. While they can be freaky for a time and in that moment, it is a cheap way to generate scares and gets old after a while. I much more prefer slow, unsettling terror that builds up and with few jump scares. Atmosphere is everything with a horror game and once you get going with a good one, it’s easy to lose yourself, keep pushing, and scare your socks off (in a good way).

It seems you’re interested in user friendly ones, VR, and completions/Plats, so I’ve come up with a list that addresses those points. The list has not only ones I felt were good to introduce to my young daughter, but some are my favorites as well. I will try to list them as good starting ones first and build up to the bigger and scarier ones. What I recommend for all horror games is a blind playthrough first then mop up trophies after but the choice is yours. Following guides right off the bat kind of ruins the experience. Disclaimer though, these are just the opinions from one horror junkie.

Little Nightmares

User friendly: 9/10

Scare Factor: 4/10

VR: None

Plat: None, 100 only. Doable with dedication and in about 8 hours. Might need guide for collectibles.

-The atmosphere is off the charts with Little Nightmares. I would consider it a beginner horror game but more so it is a puzzle platformer. There are creepy environments, chase sequences, and some unsettling situations. There’s a reason why so many streamers stream the Little Nightmares games. They’re easily accessible, fun, and super interesting. Especially the environments and story. Has DLC. If you end up liking it there is a sequel that is equally good and has a Plat.

Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul

User friendly: 8/10

Scare Factor: 7/10

VR: Optional

Plat: Yes. Should take a couple hours and playthroughs.

-Pretty good game, though rather short. It’s a good intro to horror on VR because it plays well, is not too long, and much more scarier in VR.

Infliction

Plat: Yes. Pretty easy and takes a few hours.

-A good and basic Indie horror game. Kind of short. Has good atmosphere, tension, and some jump scares. Overall fun experience.

Layers of Fear

User friendly: 7/10

Scare Factor: 8/10

VR: Separate VR and non-VR versions of the game are available.

Plat: None, 100 only. Should take a few hours but might need guide for collectibles.

-Another good Indie-like first person horror game similar to Infliction. The atmosphere is amazing. There is tension and some jump scares. Some sequences are very trippy and cool. It definitely messes with your mind! Has DLC. Also has a sequel with a Plat. If you like Layers, the developer Bloober Team have a few good horror games under their belt to try. Their library even caught the eye of Konami and they are now partnering for a new game. The rumors, however unlikely they seem, mention it’s a new Silent Hill.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

VR: Required

Plat: Yes. Very hard and will take 10-15 hours.

-From the outside it seems this game is just a carnival games shooting type game and that is the main gameplay, but man, is it an intense and fun experience. When I have friends or family over and if we play VR, this is always played by taking turns. Everyone can’t wait to get another go. Though it’s on rails, it’s ultra creepy and is high quality. I’m torn about the user friendly rating. On one hand it is very easy to pick up and play and would score a 10 but the requirements for the Plat would make it much lower. It is a very difficult Plat so if you’re going for that be prepared to sink a lot of time and retries into it. And have extra pairs of underwear at the ready, at least for the first couple hours.

Special mentions. Great, quality experiences to try after trying shorter, easier, and/or less scary ones:

Visage

User friendly: 5/10

Scare Factor: 10/10

VR: None. Was supposed to. Argh!

Plat: Yes. Expect a long Plat but nothing too difficult. Might need a guide for collectibles, missables, and obscure trophies.

-This game is very scary and is the closest thing we have to a fleshed out full version of PT. It is definitely recommended but only after you wet your feet with another horror game first. You will need fresh underwear and a good heart because your heart rate will be pushed. It is very atmospheric and unsettling. Not for the faint of heart! Expect a long Plat with many steps needed. Speaking of PT, which I found to be one of the greatest horror experiences of our lifetime, there is another beginner friendly PT-like game out there called Evil Inside. It is a small, short, budget Indie game that tries to capture the magic of PT but of course can not. Obviously it is not great or high quality but the Plat is super easy and might be a good way to build up to Visage. I have it on the backlog so haven’t tried it yet.

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

User friendly: 6/10

Scare Factor: 9/10

Plat: Yes. Long and some difficult situations, especially in the DLC.

-Saved the best for last. It’s also last on the list because it’s the biggest game out of the aforementioned titles and has a bit of everything. There’s incredible atmosphere, tension, few jump scares, shooting and other combat, and even bizarre modes of play in the DLC. The scare factor is a tough one because of the great variety it has. Many sequences and moments are incredibly scary but at other times you might feel like a badass and confident with weapons or you will have a slower exploration section. RE7 is one of the top 10 horror games I’ve played in my life and one of my favorite games overall. Hardcore old school Resident Evil fans will probably crap on that. Don’t get me wrong, I like the classics too, but RE7 just sort of encapsulates all the good things in modern horror games, packages it all together, and puts a pretty bow on it. It’s very high quality. There is so much content that will keep you playing a long time. I’d absolutely recommend it but maybe only after you’ve tried a shorter first person horror title, due to RE7’s length. Some of the DLC episodes are so different than the full game and I would describe it as only supplementary to the main game. I feel RE7 is a must play for any true horror fan.

And that’s my list. Just for reference, I’d probably put FNAF Help Wanted on this list. It would fall somewhere in the middle and be 7 or 8 out of 10 user friendly and 5 or 6 out of 10 scare factor (being mostly jump scares).

Honorable mentions (in no particular order):

-Evil Inside, as mentioned above. Mainly because of how short, straightforward, and compact it is. Might want to pick a higher quality game for your first one though so you don’t get a bad taste in your mouth straight away. Non-VR. Has easy Plat.

-Resident Evil 2 remake is a great choice as Kane mentioned in the post above. Have played the demo but have not gotten around to the full game. I can’t wait to. It’s one of the most modernized, polished, and well rounded classic playstyle Resident Evil games currently available.

-Alan Wake Remastered as Kane also mentioned also seems like a good option. Personally, I’m not interested in it but can see how it would be a great user friendly and introductory game.

-White Noise 2. A modern style sociable horror game you can play with other people. It’s an asymmetrical 4 vs. 1 game in the style of Evolve, Friday the 13th, Dead by Daylight, etc. Non-VR. It’s fun playing as the survivors (investigators as they’re called) and team up to run from and hinder or vanquish the creature chasing the group. The problem with it is you would need other players to get the full experience and it’s likely pretty dead after all these years. The plat was easy and not long but not short either. I have two copies of it and would be glad to help you if you’re interested. Would just need two more players. Either through sessions or hopefully find in matchmaking. I don’t know the current state of the servers and don’t know the difficulty of finding other players in matchmaking. I just wanted to mention this one because it was a fun experience and one I’d play even after getting the Plat. There’s another game like this that is better and full of players but it is on PC only. It’s called Phasmophobia and the premise is cooler too as it’s more in the style of ghost hunting.

-Don’t Knock Twice. Short, easy, basic horror game. Easy Plat. Good to try as an early one but maybe not the first as the quality is lower and the story is weird. VR is optional, though I had troubles with the controls in VR. Had no troubles with controls in non-VR.

-Emily Wants to Play Too. Non-VR. This sequel is better and easier than the first entry. It’s a good starter though it is a jump scare fest. It was fun trying to figure out how to avoid each enemy as they all stalk you differently. I think it even makes you better as a horror game player as you learn the mechanics and what triggers each monster to catch you and by learning their patterns. A skill of learning what triggers a jump scare that you can take to other games and be less scared by a jump scare in the future. There’s even an option to turn off the jump scare noise. Unfortunately it is 100 only game and no Plat. It is definitely doable with persistence and a few tries of some of the levels. Should take a couple hours.

Hope this was helpful. I’m sure there’s something I’m missing from my played games. If you exhaust the list I’d be happy to suggest more but these are good starters. Happy spooky season and Halloween in advance.

Edited by NMErickson
  • Like 4

On 10/12/2021 at 4:22 AM, NMErickson said:

FNAF Help Wanted is not a bad choice at all. In fact, many people have been introduced to the horror genre by a FNAF game. They were uber popular on mobile years ago.  Help Wanted is a larger game than the main entries and does have VR which makes it a unique experience. The trophy didn’t seem easy but is obtainable with enough dedication. The problem I have FNAF type of games is they rely on jump scares to scare the player. While they can be freaky for a time and in that moment, it is a cheap way to generate scares and gets old after a while. I much more prefer slow, unsettling terror that builds up and with few jump scares. Atmosphere is everything with a horror game and once you get going with a good one, it’s easy to lose yourself, keep pushing, and scare your socks off (in a good way).

It seems you’re interested in user friendly ones, VR, and completions/Plats, so I’ve come up with a list that addresses those points. The list has not only ones I felt were good to introduce to my young daughter, but some are my favorites as well. I will try to list them as good starting ones first and build up to the bigger and scarier ones. What I recommend for all horror games is a blind playthrough first then mop up trophies after but the choice is yours. Following guides right off the bat kind of ruins the experience. Disclaimer though, these are just the opinions from one horror junkie.

Little Nightmares

User friendly: 9/10

Scare Factor: 4/10

Plat: None, 100 only. Doable with dedication and in about 8 hours. Might need guide for collectibles.

-The atmosphere is off the charts with Little Nightmares. I would consider it a beginner horror game but more so it is a puzzle platformer. There are creepy environments, chase sequences, and some unsettling situations. There’s a reason why so many streamers stream the Little Nightmares games. They’re easily accessible, fun, and super interesting. Especially the environments and story. Has DLC. If you end up liking it there is a sequel that is equally good and has a Plat.

Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul

Plat: Yes. Should take a couple hours and playthroughs.

-Pretty good game, though rather short. It’s a good intro to horror on VR because it plays well, is not too long, and much more scarier in VR.

Infliction

Plat: Yes. Pretty easy and takes a few hours.

-A good and basic Indie horror game. Kind of short. Has good atmosphere, tension, and some jump scares. Overall fun experience.

Layers of Fear

User friendly: 7/10

VR: Separate VR and non-VR versions of the game are available.

Plat: None, 100 only. Should take a few hours but might need guide for collectibles.

-Another good Indie-like first person horror game similar to Infliction. The atmosphere is amazing. There is tension and some jump scares. Some sequences are very trippy and cool. It definitely messes with your mind! Has DLC. Also has a sequel with a Plat. If you like Layers, the developer Bloober Team have a few good horror games under their belt to try. Their library even caught the eye of Konami and they are now partnering for a new game. The rumors, however unlikely they seem, mention it’s a new Silent Hill.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

VR: Required

Plat: Yes. Very hard and will take 10-15 hours.

-From the outside it seems this game is just a carnival games shooting type game and that is the main gameplay, but man, is it an intense and fun experience. When I have friends or family over and if we play VR, this is always played by taking turns. Everyone can’t wait to get another go. Though it’s on rails, it’s ultra creepy and is high quality. I’m torn about the user friendly rating. On one hand it is very easy to pick up and play and would score a 10 but the requirements for the Plat would make it much lower. It is a very difficult Plat so if you’re going for that be prepared to sink a lot of time and retries into it. And have extra pairs of underwear at the ready, at least for the first couple hours.

Special mentions. Great, quality experiences to try after trying shorter, easier, and/or less scary ones:

Visage

User friendly: 5/10

Scare Factor: 10/10

VR: None. Was supposed to. Argh!

Plat: Yes. Expect a long Plat but nothing too difficult. Might need a guide for collectibles, missables, and obscure trophies.

-This game is very scary and is the closest thing we have to a fleshed out full version of PT. It is definitely recommended but only after you wet your feet with another horror game first. You will need fresh underwear and a good heart because your heart rate will be pushed. It is very atmospheric and unsettling. Not for the faint of heart! Expect a long Plat with many steps needed. Speaking of PT, which I found to be one of the greatest horror experiences of our lifetime, there is another beginner friendly PT-like game out there called Evil Inside. It is a small, short, budget Indie game that tries to capture the magic of PT but of course can not. Obviously it is not great or high quality but the Plat is super easy and might be a good way to build up to Visage. I have it on the backlog so haven’t tried it yet.

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

User friendly: 6/10

Scare Factor: 9/10

Plat: Yes. Long and some difficult situations, especially in the DLC.

-Saved the best for last. It’s also last on the list because it’s the biggest game out of the aforementioned titles and has a bit of everything. There’s incredible atmosphere, tension, few jump scares, shooting and other combat, and even bizarre modes of play in the DLC. The scare factor is a tough one because of the great variety it has. Many sequences and moments are incredibly scary but at other times you might feel like a badass and confident with weapons or you will have a slower exploration section. RE7 is one of the top 10 horror games I’ve played in my life and one of my favorite games overall. Hardcore old school Resident Evil fans will probably crap on that. Don’t get me wrong, I like the classics too, but RE7 just sort of encapsulates all the good things in modern horror games, packages it all together, and puts a pretty bow on it. It’s very high quality. There is so much content that will keep you playing a long time. I’d absolutely recommend it but maybe only after you’ve tried a shorter first person horror title, due to RE7’s length. Some of the DLC episodes are so different than the full game and I would describe it as only supplementary to the main game. I feel RE7 is a must play for any true horror fan.

And that’s my list. Just for reference, I’d probably put FNAF Help Wanted on this list. It would fall somewhere in the middle and be 7 or 8 out of 10 user friendly and 5 or 6 out of 10 scare factor (being mostly jump scares).

Honorable mentions (in no particular order):

-Evil Inside, as mentioned above. Mainly because of how short, straightforward, and compact it is. Might want to pick a higher quality game for your first one though so you don’t get a bad taste in your mouth straight away. Non-VR. Has easy Plat.

-Resident Evil 2 remake is a great choice as Kane mentioned in the post above. Have played the demo but have not gotten around to the full game. I can’t wait to. It’s one of the most modernized, polished, and well rounded classic playstyle Resident Evil games currently available.

-Alan Wake Remastered as Kane also mentioned also seems like a good option. Personally, I’m not interested in it but can see how it would be a great user friendly and introductory game.

-White Noise 2. A modern style sociable horror game you can play with other people. It’s an asymmetrical 4 vs. 1 game in the style of Evolve, Friday the 13th, Dead by Daylight, etc. Non-VR. It’s fun playing as the survivors (investigators as they’re called) and team up to run from and hinder or vanquish the creature chasing the group. The problem with it is you would need other players to get the full experience and it’s likely pretty dead after all these years. The plat was easy and not long but not short either. I have two copies of it and would be glad to help you if you’re interested. Would just need two more players. Either through sessions or hopefully find in matchmaking. I don’t know the current state of the servers and don’t know the difficulty of finding other players in matchmaking. I just wanted to mention this one because it was a fun experience and one I’d play even after getting the Plat. There’s another game like this that is better and full of players but it is on PC only. It’s called Phasmophobia and the premise is cooler too as it’s more in the style of ghost hunting.

-Don’t Knock Twice. Short, easy, basic horror game. Easy Plat. Good to try as an early one but maybe not the first as the quality is lower and the story is weird. VR is optional, though I had troubles with the controls in VR. Had no troubles with controls in non-VR.

-Emily Wants to Play Too. Non-VR. This sequel is better and easier than the first entry. It’s a good starter though it is a jump scare fest. It was fun trying to figure out how to avoid each enemy as they all stalk you differently. I think it even makes you better as a horror game player as you learn the mechanics and what triggers each monster to catch you and by learning their patterns. A skill of learning what triggers a jump scare that you can take to other games and be less scared by a jump scare in the future. There’s even an option to turn off the jump scare noise. Unfortunately it is 100 only game and no Plat. It is definitely doable with persistence and a few tries of some of the levels. Should take a couple hours.

Hope this was helpful. I’m sure there’s something I’m missing from my played games. If you exhaust the list I’d be happy to suggest more but these are good starters. Happy spooky season and Halloween in advance.

Thank you for your long horror game recommendations, I really do appreciate it. As someone who takes horror games too seriously. Do you think Dead Space is a good entry? A lot of people have been recommending it since last year and they still are. Also, I already do have RE:7 from PS+ Collection but the game looks so scary, I know RE:8 is almost the same but I might get that one because RE:7 has difficult DLC and I’m trying to keep my completion rate 100% for now. I would like to know which game should I start off from and progressively play harder and scarier ones. I do want a good game, not some cheap 1-3 hours platinum. Perhaps like a RE:2 Remake because I already have that one. 

Edited by Drizzora-

10 minutes ago, Drizzora- said:

Thank you for your long horror game recommendations, I really do appreciate it. As someone who takes horror games too seriously. Do you think Dead Space is a good entry? A lot of people have been recommending it since last year and they still are. Also, I already do have RE:7 from PS+ Collection but the game looks so scary, I know RE:8 is almost the same but I might get that one because RE:7 has difficult DLC and I’m trying to keep my completion rate 100% for now. I would like to know which game should I start off from and progressively play harder and scarier ones. I do want a good game, not some cheap 1-3 hours platinum. Perhaps like a RE:2 Remake because I already have that one. 

RE2 remake is a good one to play. RE8 isn’t as scary as RE7. Id start with RE2. FNAF VR is damn scary. I’d suggest paranormal activity: the lost soul to start with then FNAF in VR :) 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

RE2 remake is a good one to play. RE8 isn’t as scary as RE7. Id start with RE2. FNAF VR is damn scary. I’d suggest paranormal activity: the lost soul to start with then FNAF in VR :) 

I concur. A good progression might be Paranormal Activity—>FNAF—>RE2—>RE7 or 8 (if built up the willpower). I really wouldn’t count out Infliction or Visage. Yes they are more Indie than AAA but are good experiences. Maybe watch a short section of each (to not spoil it) and see if it interests you. Both have very do-able Plats.

He’s right, RE8 is not as scary. Guess you could end at RE2 or could sub in 8 for 7 but keep in mind there could be DLC for it in the future and who knows what that will entail. There also isn’t an optional VR mode for it like 7 has. The main story trophies are not a trophy problem in 7 since you get some sweet unlockables after completions to use for the harder difficulty playthrough but yea, the DLC could pose a problem.

The funny thing is: Last Sunday, at GameStop they gave me a free copy of FNAF Help Wanted because their copies were refurbished and they just wanted to get rid of them. I don’t know if I should still go for the platinum in this, the game looks too scary to me.