The future of the PS4 version on the PS5

ShadowhunterrX

8 minutes ago, Akrioz said:

How are they gonna pull it off exactly? It kinda goes against the backwards compatibility. 

When the next version is ready to launch, they'll give warning in-game that of that version not being compatible and once that version launches, it will no longer work. The version will drop, people will no longer be able to play. Presumably, they'd get a screen with instructions to download the PS5 version to continue, since they'd all be playing on PS5's to begin with.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sealightbreeze said:

Why mess with it 

Its possible they’re seeing bugs with the BC version in development when working on the next version. Then the question always becomes: Is the effort required to fix it worth it when running the native version does not have the same bug?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jpwbjpwb said:

I doon't understand how they can even do it. They will still have a ps4 mode, so how will they stop that being playable on ps5?

Exactly! It doesn't make any sense what so ever. I have both versions installed right now on my PS5

Edited by sealightbreeze
  • Like 1

I can think of 2 reasons they'd do this.

1. Because of all the performance issues on the PS4 version, they want to move people off it to minimize complaints. I booted it up on PS4 last week and it's pretty much unplayable compared to the PS5 version. At least half the frames get dropped in Inazuma, even out of combat. I don't remember it being like that in Mondstadt and Liyue.

2. Since the PS5 version has basically no load times, that's that much more time the player is in game, and if the player is able to clear content faster then they're more likely to spend money in order to keep playing.

• Like 1

What? WHAT?

If that's so, shame on miHoYo!

How are we supposed to enjoy the next contents/regions for the game - that is, Fontaine, Sumeru, Natlan and Snezhnaya - if we don't get to find a PS5?

Does it also mean that the PS4 trophies available so far are going to be the last ones to be earned?

How can we be sure that they won't be unobtainable in a short-time notice (for those who are completionists like me, it might be irritating)?

On 13/10/2021 at 2:43 AM, jpwbjpwb said:

I doon't understand how they can even do it. They will still have a ps4 mode, so how will they stop that being playable on ps5?

Developers can still request their PS4 version isn't BC. Think Spiderman PS4 (doesn't work on PS5 unless you get the Remastered), PT and a few others.

On 17/10/2021 at 7:05 AM, Nitro said:

Developers can still request their PS4 version isn't BC. Think Spiderman PS4 (doesn't work on PS5 unless you get the Remastered), PT and a few others.

Wow! It makes sense with delisted titles I guess to not allow it, (not that I think titles should be delisted in the first place). But for a developer to specifically go out of their way to stop people playing a game they bought is terrible. By all means state that it is not directly supported, but don't cut people off for no reason, especially when the game is free so you don't gain anything from moving them over.

People playing genshin in compatibility likely know this already, they will move to the ps5 version when they feel the need, no force them.

• Like 2

On 2021-10-17 at 0:05 AM, Nitro said:

a few others.

Fortnite is one of them.

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

This isnt a glitch, this is your DualSense falling apart because it’s an awful controller. Genshin seems more sensitive than most games so it’s very noticeable. Was having that issue, then swapped to DS4, and it become perfect again. I later ended up having issues in Monkey Ball as well… until I swapped to DS4.

The DS4 also experiences stick drift. Like almost every other controller. You're just lucky your DS4 hasn't run into the issue yet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/13/2021 at 11:18 AM, TJsTrophies said:

People.need to read. You can still play the PS4 version on the PS4, just not the PS4 version on PS5....

Additionally, if the PS4 version is giving issues, the game can be played on PC with no progress loss. Can just synch to PS4 for auto-pop and then move on the PS5 when you've got one.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:18 AM, TJsTrophies said:

People.need to read. You can still play the PS4 version on the PS4, just not the PS4 version on PS5....

Yeah no idea why people are freaking out. PS4 Genshin is confirmed still working with the PS4 version. Also progress throughout the accounts are shared with other versions, PC and Mobile. I understand that people do want options though so I do feel for people who only have a PS5 or want to start it from a latter version on the same console, but that is more of a separate personal issue tbh. Still, as a whole, it could much worse which is still within possibility, i.e. PS4 version permanently being discontinued in the future (this is like far future tho).

14 hours ago, ShadowhunterrX said:

The PS4 version is now fully blocked on the PS5. You cannot download or launch the PS4 version of the game and hope you guys still have your PS4 around !

The only reason i played the PS4 version over the PS5 version was the coil whine noise. Back to mobile it is ;).

Don't have a PS5 yet but will make that move when I get one, eventually lol, no rush tbh. I basically play on all devices, mainly PC nowadays so this personally doesn't affect me that much.

Edited by Alufeii

6 minutes ago, Akrioz said:

So, to get the PS4 trophies up to date I am now forced to take PS4 out of closet every now and then. Tnx mihoyo, very convenient. Haven't seen such a bizarre move yet.

To be honest, it is more bizarre to play any PS4 game on PS5 when a native version is available.

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, BloodyRutz said:

To be honest, it is more bizarre to play any PS4 game on PS5 when a native version is available.

That is very easy to explain and the answer would suprise you.

Alot of games the native PS5 version runs great and without any problems. But there are a few games were the PS5 version have some extra sound to the mix. For example the reason why I played Genshin Impact PS4 on the PS5 is for the extreme lvl of coil whine the game created on the native version. While the PS4 version is whisper quiet and doesnt look much different. (Both are 4K)

My another example is FFXIV. Where the PS5 version runs much more unstable in busy zones, while at the same time the PS4 version runs everything without a single drop.

Not sure but I think Digital foundry made a performance video about both games.

Edited by ShadowhunterrX