bigrake1

Cannot Join/Find Friends

9 posts in this topic

I've searched forums but I can't find an answer to this issue. When I log onto GTA4 multiplayer, some of my friends don't appear on my friend list at all in game. I've tried resetting the game several times to no avail. So I appear on my friend's list...but he doesn't appear on mine. And when he sends me an invite, I never receive it. We have the same in-game settings established for MP, like auto-aim, no cops, etc. I appear on his list as someone he can invite...but when he sends that invite, I never receive it. He doesn't appear on my list while some of my friends do. I've also read that, as rumored in Creed multiplayer games on PS3, having over 50 friends can cause problems with matchmaking...I don't know if there's any merit to that.

There seems to be only one difference. I own the DLCs and my friends do not. Is that causing an issue where I can't join them? Baffled on this one. And toddler running around like a tornado, so uninterrupted time to figure this one out currently eludes me. Any ideas?

There are a lot of PS3 games, including GTA 4, that have major issues with large friend lists so won't recognise online friends until you substantially prune your friend list so the game starts recognising who is online. Depending on the game, you may need to keep culling people until you have under 40 friends before it plays nice.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

That's one of my worries, @HuntingFever. I currently have 103 friends. When I "cut weight" for some of the Creed games on PS3, these similar problems went away. I had issues with Flag and Brotherhood like this. When I cut under 50 I was able to matchmake again for 100%.

Edited by bigrake1

15 hours ago, bigrake1 said:

I've also read that, as rumored in Creed multiplayer games on PS3, having over 50 friends can cause problems with matchmaking...I don't know if there's any merit to that.

That's the reason. IIRC, GTA IV cannot show more than 48 (or 64?) ppl from a friend list.

@Se7en Yes, for what it’s worth, I unceremoniously dumped friends and was able to earn Teamplayer and Taking It For The Team yesterday. 

On 13/10/2021 at 10:31 PM, bigrake1 said:

@Se7en Yes, for what it’s worth, I unceremoniously dumped friends and was able to earn Teamplayer and Taking It For The Team yesterday. 

Yeah same here had to delete couple of my friendlist that never talk to me or never online anymore for years even though my connection was poor but still manage to play with my boost partner using quit xmb method or party mode method. 

This game has terrible conection, if you cant' join with your friends try signing out from psn and try again that helped my friend get this plat. This is a pain, good luck!

5 hours ago, Chris_Alvareno25 said:

This game has terrible conection, if you cant' join with your friends try signing out from psn and try again that helped my friend get this plat. This is a pain, good luck!

Sign out through xmb then sign in using phone or join party mode. Like i said before even poor connection i still manage to get awp trophy no matter how good your connection if you didn't follow MP guide it's hard to join some of your friendlist joining or invited.

Edited by GrantVernonHart

7 hours ago, GrantVernonHart said:

Sign out through xmb then sign in using phone or join party mode. Like i said before even poor connection i still manage to get awp trophy no matter how good your connection if you didn't follow MP guide it's hard to join some of your friendlist joining or invited.

Yeah, from the xmb that should work